Captain14

[Research/WIP] Custom Light Patterns through carcols.ymt

This is actually really neat, having the ability to change/create patterns via a simple text change is truly amazing. If this does become fruitful and a script like the ELS pattern changer could be made to read the file and maybe even have the ability to change patterns while in game (like a plugin) could create virtually unlimited possibilities for everyone. And also maybe render ELS obsolete as then the only feature it would have over default lighting is the ability to change siren tones (which I'm sure a script could be written to do as well).

I do look forward to more info on your research! 

To go along with HankVoight, i'd have to think that it would also be much more stable.. Instead of extras rapidly firing, using rockstars script would probably be better. (Tbh I'm not too sure how stable ELSV is, it could be perfect and I wouldn't know, just making an assumption). 

20 minutes ago, DroidRZRLover said:

Will it be possible to replicate this

https://youtu.be/YgXOTlhnWFw

Yes absolutely. You can create any flash pattern with 32 flashes per cycle and they can be applied to the headlights, taillights, or any individual siren.

@Desmond98 I would be happy to help you with configuring an ultra realistic pattern for your upcoming explorer! 

Edited by Captain14

11 minutes ago, Captain14 said:

Yes absolutely. You can create any flash pattern with 32 flashes per cycle and they can be applied to the headlights, taillights, or any individual siren.

@Desmond98 I would be happy to help you with configuring an ultra realistic pattern for your upcoming explorer! 

Desmond98 and I are working together

We will gladly accept the ultra realistic flash pattern

43 minutes ago, royalx7 said:

To go along with HankVoight, i'd have to think that it would also be much more stable.. Instead of extras rapidly firing, using rockstars script would probably be better. (Tbh I'm not too sure how stable ELSV is, it could be perfect and I wouldn't know, just making an assumption). 

I'm certain ELS will be stable (at least much more so than the IV version) but as with any added plugin you will have crashes. As this uses the built-in system for lighting it will be more stable, but as another user has noted this does not offer the ability to change siren tones like ELS does.

Today is a good day. So if I have a custom ambulance model installed, I can edit the file above and use custom flash patterns for the ambulance model ? Or does it require model editing as well in order to load the custom patterns ?

Edited by GravelRoadCop

From what I gather @GravelRoadCop it's simply editing the carcols.ymt file, no vehicle modeling required.

Time to have a play!  Be interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

2 minutes ago, Jakeus said:

From what I gather @GravelRoadCop it's simply editing the carcols.ymt file, no vehicle modeling required.

Time to have a play!  Be interesting to see what everyone comes up with!

To be honest, I had to do a double-take on this because it seemed too good to be true ! How fascinating, I think I'm gonna dive into this and see what I can make !

1 hour ago, GravelRoadCop said:

To be honest, I had to do a double-take on this because it seemed too good to be true ! How fascinating, I think I'm gonna dive into this and see what I can make !

It's entirely in the carcols file. You can create extra siren settings to apply to an individual custom model if you would like to.

I look forward to some kind of tutorial explaining the steps. @Captain14 first post is a nice start. Also, how did you see that number sequence. I still don't see 010101, etc That sound like some Dr. Harry Adams (Samuel L. Jackson's character in the movie Sphere) type skills. :D

14 hours ago, HankVoight said:

This is actually really neat, having the ability to change/create patterns via a simple text change is truly amazing. If this does become fruitful and a script like the ELS pattern changer could be made to read the file and maybe even have the ability to change patterns while in game (like a plugin) could create virtually unlimited possibilities for everyone. And also maybe render ELS obsolete as then the only feature it would have over default lighting is the ability to change siren tones (which I'm sure a script could be written to do as well).

I do look forward to more info on your research! 

Possibly RIP ELS, all that time for nothing, kek.

But on a serious note, good thread.

The ENV can also be greatly effected by altering these lines.

<lightFalloffMax value="55.60000000"/>
      <lightFalloffExponent value="10.00000000"/>
      <lightInnerConeAngle value="0.00000000"/>
      <lightOuterConeAngle value="25.60130000"/>

As far as I've tested, you can do whatever you want. I'm sure if this is tweaked enough for all the sirens, we could have a great mix of ELS enhancers! I recommend doing some small research on light falloff exponent values and falloff to get a better understanding of what you're editing.

Edited by densup

1 hour ago, Ranger61 said:

I look forward to some kind of tutorial explaining the steps. @Captain14 first post is a nice start. Also, how did you see that number sequence. I still don't see 010101, etc That sound like some Dr. Harry Adams (Samuel L. Jackson's character in the movie Sphere) type skills. :D

0 is off, 1 is on. It's a 32 bit unsigned integer and the sequence of bits determines the flash pattern. So 0101 would be off, on, off, on. You can totally customize these settings and the game will cycle through the pattern you give it X times per minute (sequencerBpm value).

4 minutes ago, Captain14 said:

0 is off, 1 is on. It's a 32 bit unsigned integer and the sequence of bits determines the flash pattern. So 0101 would be off, on, off, on. You can totally customize these settings and the game will cycle through the pattern you give it X times per minute (sequencerBpm value).

Awesome... I'll have to see what I can come up with.

Okay so I've done a little bit more research and also tested out a few other flash patterns.

• It is possible to enable environmental lighting for coronas (visible in video). You have to set the "light" value to true to enable it.
  • I do not yet know if it is possible to enable environmental lighting without using coronas. I am going to further research this.
  • All lights seem to be placed into two groups (0 and 1), I am not yet sure what these groupings determine.
  • "delta" and "start" values under the flashiness section determine the rotation of the light mesh and corona when active. 
  • You can change how much the sirens scale when enabled.

Here is another quick demo video. I played around with the explorer a little and altered the flash patterns some more: 

The valor is using siren7 and siren8. The rear window lights are using siren2 and siren5. The grille lights are using siren15 and siren16. The front strobes are using two sirens each in this video (sirens 1, 6, 19, and 20) but I will be reducing this to 2 by rotating 19 and 20. The traffic advisor is again an extra using siren9 and siren10. Finally, the rear taillight strobes are not using the default taillight flashing system but are using siren3 and siren4.

You can see in the video that the lights with visible coronas (corner strobes) are environmental. Coronas are currently hidden for my other lights but can be added easily. In the video you may notice that the left taillight strobe seems buggy; I believe this is due to my not-so-great graphics settings.

More research soon to come.

Spoiler
48 minutes ago, Captain14 said:

Okay so I've done a little bit more research and also tested out a few other flash patterns.

• It is possible to enable environmental lighting for coronas (visible in video). You have to set the "light" value to true to enable it.
  • I do not yet know if it is possible to enable environmental lighting without using coronas. I am going to further research this.
  • All lights seem to be placed into two groups (0 and 1), I am not yet sure what these groupings determine.
  • "delta" and "start" values under the flashiness section determine the rotation of the light mesh and corona when active. 
  • You can change how much the sirens scale when enabled.

Here is another quick demo video. I played around with the explorer a little and altered the flash patterns some more: 

The valor is using siren7 and siren8. The rear window lights are using siren2 and siren5. The grille lights are using siren15 and siren16. The front strobes are using two sirens each in this video (sirens 1, 6, 19, and 20) but I will be reducing this to 2 by rotating 19 and 20. The traffic advisor is again an extra using siren9 and siren10. Finally, the rear taillight strobes are not using the default taillight flashing system but are using siren3 and siren4.

You can see in the video that the lights with visible coronas (corner strobes) are environmental. Coronas are currently hidden for my other lights but can be added easily. In the video you may notice that the left taillight strobe seems buggy; I believe this is due to my not-so-great graphics settings.

More research soon to come.

Wow, this almost replicates an ELS pattern. That's awesome!

Falloff values allow you to set the lights to reflect off objects much further. Short video I made here, you can see the light reflect off the buildings and tree. I set "lightfalloffMax" and "lightfalloffExponent" to a value of 80.

Why would Rockstar have such low falloff values is beyond me, default is very unrealistic and there appears to be no performance issues.

Edited by grimdar