GodAtum

Pursuit police AI has not improved

Yeah, they have a bad habit of slamming into the back of traffic during pursuits. I've also noticed that they don't use lethal force when facing armed suspects while in vehicles much, and it might even be affecting SWAT peds too.

The AI is sometimes indeed bad. I died or get wounded several times by a colleague cop because he is overriding me during an arrest.

But you cannot complain about this because Sam calles that
"the lack of respect that people can have for what we do"
that is kinda childish. I personnaly love LSPDFR and it gaves me a reason to play again. But still the police AI is sometimes ruining the immersion.

Since 0.3 I have noticed that the police are actually more aggressive against me when they join me in a pursuit.  Continually pushing me and bashing into me.

Edited by SoloMan

I don't think the AI has become worse. On the contrary, I think there have been pretty big improvements, especially with foot chases, getting suspects out of cars and them staying around.

The driving AI of officers is always going to be hard to make perfect, as the original GTA V driving AI is very mediocre at best. When you add high speeds, overtaking and pursuit management to the equation, it's no wonder that AI cops act the way they do sometimes.

I have recently been looking into trying to improve the cop AI myself - this appears to be extremely tough to do from what I've seen. I have managed to make them slightly less aggressive and to respect the player more as a primary officer. Once I make some more progress, I might include some kind of Pursuit Tactic Management in Traffic Policer.

4 hours ago, Sam said:

The pursuit AI in 0.3 can't be "any worse", as it hasn't changed at its core.  The main changes have been additional features that we've added, and these have only made it better.  It's fine to nitpick all the things that happen that you don't like, but at the same time people really need to remember that this is a heavily locked down game, with zero documentation as to how things work.  We have to figure that out all by ourselves, and that has taken thousands of hours to do.  

It sometimes amazes me the lack of respect that people can have for what we do, and the massive improvements that we've made since the first release of LSPDFR.

I'd like to second this wholeheartedly.

I don't think it got worse. In my opinion they got much better, also at arranging their cars for the looks. However, I do agree that the AI is very aggressive. That's the way R* made them though.

When I've played GTA5 on consoles I've always obtained a 2 star wanted level just to get police cars chase me.. for fun. With 2 wanteds they are actually very passive. They sometimes do try to pit though, which isn't a bad thing. @Sam @LMS Is this something you've been looking into? I'd be interested knowing if it's actually reproducible

2 minutes ago, TheUniT said:

I don't think it got worse. In my opinion they got much better, also at arranging their cars for the looks. However, I do agree that the AI is very aggressive. That's the way R* made them though.

When I've played GTA5 on consoles I've always obtained a 2 star wanted level just to get police cars chase me.. for fun. With 2 wanteds they are actually very passive. They sometimes do try to pit though, which isn't a bad thing. @Sam @LMS Is this something you've been looking into? I'd be interested knowing if it's actually reproducible

It is reproducible - I've managed to get it to work pretty well, in addition to more respect for the player as a primary officer. As I said above, I might include this in a future Traffic Policer update when I get it perfect.

7 minutes ago, Albo1125 said:

It is reproducible - I've managed to get it to work pretty well, in addition to more respect for the player as a primary officer. As I said above, I might include this in a future Traffic Policer update when I get it perfect.

yay yay :woot:

My 2 cents:

I don't think AI is more aggressive as of 0.3, even though it heavily makes it look as it is. My theory is that previously (in 0.2b), when you called backup they were lost in the 5th dimension (or somewhere else) most of the time. But if you look more closely, they rammed the perp as well. It's just that now we get to see them more often.

However tho, I'm also a bit pissed by all that agressivity. The rest is so well managed (arriving on scene, arresting the suspect, etc) compared to chases. I understand it's hard to improve tho, so for the time being I'll be happy with what we already have :)

Plus, I'm very pleased that you are experimenting on this as well, Albo :)

Last word: if someone is to blame about this, it's R*, no one else.

Edited by liberto

I believe in one of jeffs videos he mentioned how the ai for the bike cops is actually less aggressive and doesnt ram during pursuits, and that he mentioned it to sam to look into. Maybe it will be possible to distribute the way the bike ai works to the rest of the police ai. 

15 hours ago, GodAtum said:

Watching these Youtubers, they think the pursuit AI is worse in 0.3. Anyone else agree?

I've seen massive improvements in the AI, I am having more fun with LSPDFR now then ever.

15 hours ago, Albo1125 said:

It is reproducible - I've managed to get it to work pretty well, in addition to more respect for the player as a primary officer.

You have?

Well it definitely is much better now. Holy cow, they now can arrest two street racers going separate directions without me at all. But yep, they do hit traffic pretty much. This is why I generally play only in the countryside with lots of space.

Does anyone think that peds stealing your patrol car while you are on a traffic stop happens more now than before?  I had it happen a few times these past two days and I don't play all that long.  They just speed off and your car is blipped, but there isn't much you can do about it besides spawn another car and chase after them, or forget that it ever happened.

18 minutes ago, SoloMan said:

Does anyone think that peds stealing your patrol car while you are on a traffic stop happens more now than before?  I had it happen a few times these past two days and I don't play all that long.  They just speed off and your car is blipped, but there isn't much you can do about it besides spawn another car and chase after them, or forget that it ever happened.

This is a bit off topic^^

But yes this manner increased also for me a lot. It happens very often atm and it is very annoying. I do my Breathalyzer/Drugalyzer Pedsearch/Vehiclesearch only with my Taser or Pistol ready to fire and an extra eye on my car. Mostly i am able to prevent it, cause these peds run towords your vehicle from farther away. And even in the desert where nobody else is sometimes suddenly a crazy ped appears directly heading to the police car. 

Of course i could spawn a new car, but the disgrace...the disgrace!

Well, its another arrest. THEY WANTED TO STEEL A POLICE VEHICLE!!!!!11111 no respect at all anymore....

Yes it is, but I figured it had to maybe be related to the newest release........aggressive cops and aggressive car thieves go together like PB&J.

On 1/24/2016 at 9:01 AM, Sam said:

The pursuit AI in 0.3 can't be "any worse", as it hasn't changed at its core.

I swear officers didn't slam into the back of traffic during pursuits back in .02 as incredibly often as they seem to do now, though I can't 100% point at GTAV or LSPDFR itself with my modified game anyways. Suspects sometimes don't seem to run hard enough, and end up stuck behind traffic instead of going around them. They also tend to stay in blocked vehicles until they can wiggle free, and the officers don't seem to want to pull them out very often.

The only issues I really can point at is that foot officers sometimes don't return to their vehicle when a suspect drives off, or their vehicle despawns, and they just stay standing in that spot even if the pursuit moves to the other side of the map. The new Cleanup plugin someone made helps, though obviously interferes with the active pursuit.

Edited by The Loot

On 25/1/2016 at 3:50 AM, xAKRONSFINESTx said:

I believe in one of jeffs videos he mentioned how the ai for the bike cops is actually less aggressive and doesnt ram during pursuits, and that he mentioned it to sam to look into. Maybe it will be possible to distribute the way the bike ai works to the rest of the police ai. 

AI is always mindful of bikes (and trucks too in a way), whether it's a suspect on the run that will just come to a stop behind if needed or cops, so if there was a way to make the AI consider our unit as a bike I am sure it would be the perfect solution to be acknowledged as primary for good. Have you guys look into that possibility?

As for me, I don't think the AI is worse, it would be very hypocritical, sometimes you can see that the AI tries to avoid you, this is a definite change to 0.2b where they would ram you all the time. It is not yet possible to be a primary unit without being PIT'ed but this is an improvement. Then there is also the fact that the AI is now way better at boxing the suspect's vehicle, that's super nice to see.

Overall I think that 0.3 is great, my only gripe is that we lost control of how much units we want to respond with the auto-backup feature, I still have to install and check Albo's new plugin!

Edited by DLM3