Slimory

Has Your Department Faded Out The Crown Vic?

As the title says, are there any departments left that still use the Crown Vic? or completely faded them out with newer PI's

I read here: http://bc.cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=50&languageId=1&contentId=30628

That they put 4 2011 CVPI's on the road as of this year & the general duty life span is roughly 2-4 years ( depending on usage) which means that there will still be a few in Service until at the very least 2015.

What are their takes on the new Taurus/Charger?

The vast majority of police cars I see are still CVPIs. Take-homes in particular can last a long time (I think I've seen 8 years somewhere) - cars in general are built to last, and take-homes aren't driven nearly as much or as hard as pool cars.

Since my town and most surrounding towns are contracted with the Sheriff's department we still use the Crown Victoria heavily. I also see a few Ford Expeditions here and there too. I heard rumor that they were testing the new Chevy Caprice for police use, but I haven't seen any other news about it from the County other than this one article.

Yep. We need some better cars beacuse we use bulky, stupid and overpriced cars. We need some american cars in the swedish PD.

"In a man to man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."

-Erwin Rommel

My local PD fazed out the Vics a long time ago and the entire fleet has been replaced by Chevy Impalas, and suburbans. They do have a single Chevy Caprice (PI, the new ones) for responding to calls only and it's completely decked out. I drool every time I see it pass me. :D

Help us, help you!

• Report Rule Breakers and other issues you see!

-JAM, Community Team Moderator.

My city uses CVPI's primarily. FPI's are there for general patrol, and FPIU's are for Crash Investigation. We also have Expeditions, F150's, F250's (all for Underwater S&R & Marine Unit). 

My System:

Intel i7-2600k | ASUS P67 Sabertooth | NVIDIA GTX 560ti | Corsair 750W PSU | Corsair Vengeance 8GB | Lamptron Fan-Atic

The OPP have a bunch of wierd stuff going on right now. There still is loads of Vics, but there is also Chargers first and second gen, a few Taurus's and a really cool slicktop caprice. 

I think it's a Canadian thing...

HRP have 1 or 2 Unmarked Chargers

a mix of the Taurus & Crown Vic as main patrol vehicles..

Tahoes, a couple Dodge Durangos, GMC Savannas' & Chevrolet Express for main patrol vehicles...

RCMP have the Crown Vic, Taurus, Chargers, Tahoes, GMC Savanna's, Chevrolet Express Vans, Ford F-350's & 250's, Chevrolet Silverados, GMC Sierras & i'm sure a bunch more..

at least the O.P.P aren't all over the page with lighting equipment & stick with Federal Signal as their main lightbar..

I've never actually seen a new PPV Caprice, is it nice?

In both the near departments, the Lake Orion Police Department have a few, not many though, and the Oakland County Sheriffs Department have a few, but they have always had more Tahoes and Impalas than Victorias.

Both state highway patrols in my area (Kansas and Missouri) have near completely switched to the new charger, and I haven't seen a cvpi from either agency in nearly a year.

City PD's still have CVPI's, with about half in my area buying just Explorers and half buying both the Explorer and Taurus, but there are still mostly CVPIs. One agency started replacing almost all CVPI's with the previous gen charger in 2006, and now has some Tahoes, but is switching to the new charger (There's 1 cvpi K9 unit).

County sheriff's office stocked up on CVPI's and has been buying more Tahoes recently for specialized units (K9, Traffic, etc).

Sticks and stones may break bones, but 5.56 fragments on impact.

I think it's a Canadian thing...

HRP have 1 or 2 Unmarked Chargers

a mix of the Taurus & Crown Vic as main patrol vehicles..

Tahoes, a couple Dodge Durangos, GMC Savannas' & Chevrolet Express for main patrol vehicles...

RCMP have the Crown Vic, Taurus, Chargers, Tahoes, GMC Savanna's, Chevrolet Express Vans, Ford F-350's & 250's, Chevrolet Silverados, GMC Sierras & i'm sure a bunch more..

at least the O.P.P aren't all over the page with lighting equipment & stick with Federal Signal as their main lightbar..

I've never actually seen a new PPV Caprice, is it nice?

It's different. My dad likes it, but I think that the Caprice in general just looks god awful.

CVPI's are fading quick around here. A few departments are holding on to them, but Charger's and the new Ford Police Utility seem to be making the biggest impact around here.

I live across the street from another city and I see them patrol all the time with crown victories and a few dodge chargers but our department recently updated to ford explorers for our patrol cars and our auxiliary unit still uses the CVPIs.

TPS ordered some, and I've seen them around the city.

I'm not sure if they'll completely erase them as of yet, but sadly, it's only a matter of time.