Do we know yet if the up coming update will break a lot of mods as some haven’t been updated in ages but still work fine, will the new update cause these stop to working 

Their intent is to make 0.4 as compatible as they can, but some old mods might certainly stop working, we won't really know until its released. 

On 12/6/2018 at 10:44 AM, Firstyminator said:

Will ELS still be a working thing? 🙂

Aside from what FoxTrot said, ELS is not part of LSPDFR, so we have no clue.

On 12/6/2018 at 8:38 AM, LMS said:

Callout mods will work fine for the most part. As for other mods that rely on certain LSPDFR behavior that might be different.

Are there any plans to give LSPDFR plugin developers early testing access to update our mods? And will plugins compiled for LSPDFR 0.3.1 work immediately out of the box, or will there be breaking API changes that will require all plugins to be recompiled?

On 12/17/2018 at 9:54 AM, PNWParksFan said:

Are there any plans to give LSPDFR plugin developers early testing access to update our mods? And will plugins compiled for LSPDFR 0.3.1 work immediately out of the box, or will there be breaking API changes that will require all plugins to be recompiled?

We do not have any definite plans regarding an early testing release yet. We will maintain ABI compatibility, however, the expected results of certain functions might differ from 0.3. 

All the popular modders like Albo and the rest of the first class ones should be given access to these files early, there files are what make LSPDFR the way it is and without them LSPDFR would of been gone years ago 

I don’t agree with not giving these guys very early access to the new version so they can mod there plugins, it will be a long time before I even download 0.4 in that case and I 100% encourage no one to download early as it will be boring without the plugins we have now. Disappointed in the devs with a stupid move

also annoys me how the mod team here always state you don’t need scripthookv for lspdfr but yup do as 99% of the cars made are ELS now, you do u need scripthook for LSPDFR as again it’s what makes the mod great and without that and the other plugins it would be very boring mod 

Edited by FoxTrot999

3 hours ago, FoxTrot999 said:

All the popular modders like Albo and the rest of the first class ones should be given access to these files early, there files are what make LSPDFR the way it is and without them LSPDFR would of been gone years ago 

I don’t agree with not giving these guys very early access to the new version so they can mod there plugins, it will be a long time before I even download 0.4 in that case and I 100% encourage no one to download early as it will be boring without the plugins we have now. Disappointed in the devs with a stupid move

also annoys me how the mod team here always state you don’t need scripthookv for lspdfr but yup do as 99% of the cars made are ELS now, you do u need scripthook for LSPDFR as again it’s what makes the mod great and without that and the other plugins it would be very boring mod 

How exactly would you define "first class ones" though? They can't exactly pick and choose developers based on their own personal preference as that wouldn't be fair to the ones they don't pick. Giving the mod to all developers early just isn't viable.

You also do not need ScriptHookV for LSPDFR. ELS is a completely separate modification from LSPDFR. Plus there is an alternative while you're waiting for ScriptHookV to be updated.

On 12/19/2018 at 2:36 PM, willpv23 said:

How exactly would you define "first class ones" though? They can't exactly pick and choose developers based on their own personal preference as that wouldn't be fair to the ones they don't pick. Giving the mod to all developers early just isn't viable.

It wouldn't be hard to establish clear criteria. "Anybody with at least 1 mod with at minimum X thousand downloads", for example. It's obviously up to the discretion of the development team how to handle developer interactions, but when you go two years between releases and don't even give developers the opportunity to give feedback/testing on the API, that is pretty frustrating. I remember right after 1.3.1 released, there was a GitHub for us to report issues and feature requests. There has been no activity on that page since 2016. The dev community provided ample suggestions and requests and has heard nothing back. Anyone who's ever played LSPDFR without any plugins knows it's plugins that keep it interesting and alive. Granted, 0.4 will add a lot more built-in, but at the end of the day LSPDFR is much less enjoyable and replayable without third-party callouts and plugins. 

On 12/19/2018 at 9:32 AM, LMS said:

We do not have any definite plans regarding an early testing release yet. We will maintain ABI compatibility, however, the expected results of certain functions might differ from 0.3. 

I'm glad to hear that there will be backwards compatibility without having to recompile. I imagine most of the more complex mods will still have to be substantially though. 

I've posted information about this in the API section, I'm hoping that it clears things up regarding our plans for the API in 0.4: https://www.lcpdfr.com/forums/topic/88066-lspdfr-04-information-for-developers/

We do recognise that there will be a lot of stuff that developers will want to make use of in 0.4 - especially some of the things we talked about in the public previews like Scenarios, and we want to make sure that we get this right.  

20 hours ago, PNWParksFan said:

It wouldn't be hard to establish clear criteria. "Anybody with at least 1 mod with at minimum X thousand downloads", for example. It's obviously up to the discretion of the development team how to handle developer interactions, but when you go two years between releases and don't even give developers the opportunity to give feedback/testing on the API, that is pretty frustrating. I remember right after 1.3.1 released, there was a GitHub for us to report issues and feature requests. There has been no activity on that page since 2016. The dev community provided ample suggestions and requests and has heard nothing back. Anyone who's ever played LSPDFR without any plugins knows it's plugins that keep it interesting and alive. Granted, 0.4 will add a lot more built-in, but at the end of the day LSPDFR is much less enjoyable and replayable without third-party callouts and plugins. 

I'm glad to hear that there will be backwards compatibility without having to recompile. I imagine most of the more complex mods will still have to be substantially though. 

Yes that’s my point, LPSDFR is great but it’s only great because of the time and effort the authors put into these plugins like your self and most recently Bejoljo have made some massive contributions and improvements, try and play lspdfr without anything and see how bored you get. 

The worse thing that can happen is that it turns into the mess and uncertainty like scripthookv update Creates. These authors should be treated like a part of the team and treated as such.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:09 PM, Sam said:

I've posted information about this in the API section, I'm hoping that it clears things up regarding our plans for the API in 0.4: https://www.lcpdfr.com/forums/topic/88066-lspdfr-04-information-for-developers/

We do recognise that there will be a lot of stuff that developers will want to make use of in 0.4 - especially some of the things we talked about in the public previews like Scenarios, and we want to make sure that we get this right.  

How's the chance to get 0.4 this year?