MayhemMercenary

Northern California School Bans American Flag Shirts

What do you guys think about this? I think it is very disappointing. Basically, they are putting another country's celebrations before our own. Even If it is to "avoid racial strife", it is part of our first amendment here in the U.S. Each day it seems Americans rights are being taken away.  

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/27/court-rules-school-can-ban-american-flag-shirts-to-avoid-racial-strife/

Edited by 1ian20

MODERATOR NOTICE

Moving to Current Events, you should add the debate tag if you want a debate about this.

Also, dropping a link from another news source for variety, though I'm personally staying out of this - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26388424

MODERATOR NOTICE

Moving to Current Events, you should add the debate tag if you want a debate about this.

Also, dropping a link from another news source for variety, though I'm personally staying out of this - http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26388424

Whoops, should've seen that section. I am hoping this will stay as a discussion rather than a debate.

if you don't like the american flag theres the door don't let it hit you in the ass on the way out...after all we are in america

Now, now, that's racist to say Americans shouldn't completely change their culture to satisfy a minority of immigrants.

/sarcasm

Sticks and stones may break bones, but 5.56 fragments on impact.

If people don't like us (the Americans) wearing the shirt to school those people who don't like it needs to go bye bye then (Out of the United States of America). #RepresentingMerica

qZKqmyQ.jpg

Edited by srgt.scales

Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens | U.S. Marshals Office Lexington, KY

30 Seconds... 20 Seconds... 10 BANG BANG!! You do know were not able to shoot people on site anymore? He pulled first! - Season 1 Opener

I'm a goddam Amurican and you bet I'll defend every one of mah freedoms

(Before someone accuses me of it, I'm not promoting shooting or violence here. Just posting a comical, violently American GIF, literally). 

a5d2LgN_460sa.gif

On a serious note, I could see both sides to the story. Brings up the old argument of freedom or sovereignty vs. security. I'll be interested to see how this debate unfolds. 

Edited by Mr.Quiggles

I'm a goddam Amurican and you bet I'll defend every one of mah freedoms

(Before someone accuses me of it, I'm not promoting shooting or violence here. Just posting a comical, violently American GIF, literally). 

a5d2LgN_460sa.gif

On a serious note, I could see both sides to the story. Brings up the old argument of freedom or sovereignty vs. security. I'll be interested to see how this debate unfolds. 

Love that quiggles, im going to have to save that GIF.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Raylan Givens | U.S. Marshals Office Lexington, KY

30 Seconds... 20 Seconds... 10 BANG BANG!! You do know were not able to shoot people on site anymore? He pulled first! - Season 1 Opener

God, maybe before you patriotic bastards go and post your American flag gifs and pictures, not referring to you Quiggles, you should probably hear both sides of the argument.

Maybe other students get offended by the clothing? Maybe it's not just the shirts, but also what the students are saying while wearing the shirts? Don't go on saying "Hur duh dur fuk all who hate the flag, they can leave the country".

As an American, this disturbs me.... You don't see other countries banning the use of their own flag do you? I hate how people believe that as Americans, we should just do everything to make everyone else happy. You don't like it you can go my"Patriotic bastard" ass and stay the Hell out of my damn country.

It wasn't "banned." They were prohibited from wearing shirts with an American flag for the one day, May 5th, otherwise know as the holiday, Cinco de Mayo. The day is to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride, and also the victory the Mexican's had against the French on May 5th, 1862. The reason they were wearing the flags was to anger people of Mexican descent, basically saying "fuck you and your holiday, I'm American." At least that seems to be how people of Mexican descent in the school were seeing it since they were causing violence. The funny thing is that Cinco de Mayo was created and is primarily celebrated in America.

And another thing: All this case does is prove that schools can legally disallow students from wearing certain clothes. That is already a thing...ever heard of dress codes and school uniforms?

Edited by willpv23

"Work and ideas get stolen, then you keep moving on doing your thing."

God, maybe before you patriotic bastards go and post your American flag gifs and pictures, not referring to you Quiggles, you should probably hear both sides of the argument.

Maybe other students get offended by the clothing? Maybe it's not just the shirts, but also what the students are saying while wearing the shirts? Don't go on saying "Hur duh dur fuk all who hate the flag, they can leave the country".

If other students got offended b/c someone wore an american flag on their t-shirt, they should be reminded that they are in america, If they were saying something while wearing the shirt, why prohibit the shirt ? the shirt didn't force them to say something, last time i checked shirts don't do that, so I think i got the right to say, HUR duh dur fuk all who hate the flag, they can leave the country, (Also I get it was on cinco de mayo, but what ? They can't get mad because someone is wearing the American flag, Some cinco de mayo shirts have the mexico and American flag on it....)

It wasn't "banned." They were prohibited from wearing shirts with an American flag for the one day, May 5th, otherwise know as the holiday, Cinco de Mayo. The day is to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride, and also the victory the Mexican's had against the French on May 5th, 1862. The reason they were wearing the flags was to anger people of Mexican descent, basically saying "fuck you and your holiday, I'm American." At least that seems to be how people of Mexican descent in the school were seeing it since they were causing violence. The funny thing is that Cinco de Mayo was created and is primarily celebrated in America.

And another thing: All this case does is prove that schools can legally disallow students from wearing certain clothes. That is already a thing...ever heard of dress codes and school uniforms?

The problem is that another country was set before the home country, and that a constitutional right was suppressed. A flag of a home country shouldn't cause offense. and the punishment should be on the people who provoke the physical attack.

I would also know where you interpreted it as "fuck you and your holiday, I'm American." No where in the foxnews article or the San Jose Mercury News article does it say that the wearers of the flag did anything but wear a shirt with a flag on it.

some cinco de mayo shirts have the mexico and American flag on it....)

The reason for that is because the holiday, as celebrated in America, is for Mexican-Americans celebrating their Mexican heritage. It's also celebrated in Mexico, primarily in Puebla, because on May 5th, 1862, the Mexicans fought back the French near Puebla. The issue is the fact that violence breaks out because of people who wear the flag to be assholes, not patriots. If they wore a shirt with an American flag on it throughout the year, and not just because it's a Mexican holiday, then it's fine. But wearing it because of the holiday is like wearing a British flag on Independence Day in America. I doubt it would cause much trouble since half of America probably doesn't even know why we celebrate the 4th of July, but still. (edit: thinking back, this probably isn't the best example because in this case they are wearing American flags in America, but you get the idea.)

The problem is that another country was set before the home country, and that a constitutional right was suppressed. A flag of a home country shouldn't cause offense. and the punishment should be on the people who provoke the physical attack.

I would also know where you interpreted it as "fuck you and your holiday, I'm American." No where in the foxnews article or the San Jose Mercury News article does it say that the wearers of the flag did anything but wear a shirt with a flag on it.

Again, the holiday is an American holiday. It's celebrated by Mexican-Americans in America. The punishment should be on the people who provoke the physical attack, but why not go one step ahead and prevent the attack in the first place? The constitutional right is also suppressed when forcing students to wear a uniform, or preventing students from wearing other types of clothes (short shorts, spaghetti string tank tops, etc). The students can still show their patriotism on every other day of the year. Why must they on this one specific day?

Oh, almost forgot. I interpreted it that way because I know how people are. Especially kids in school. Again, if they wear the shirt throughout the year and they just happened to also wear it on that day, then fine. But only wearing it on that specific holiday is obviously just doing it to be an intolerant asshole.

Edit again: I agree that the people who get mad and start trouble because of someone wearing an American flag on May 5th are the problem, not so much the wearing of the flag itself. I also think that the people wearing the flag to be an asshole should have some respect for the holiday and other's heritages. Just wearing it and not saying anything, not rubbing it in people's faces, not causing trouble is completely fine. People overreacting to people just wearing it then causing violence is not fine. People rubbing the flag in other's faces, being an intolerant asshole, and provoking violence is not fine and shouldn't be done. But since it happens, disallowing students to wear the flag on one day in order to prevent violence before it happens is completely fine with me.
Edited by willpv23

Again, the holiday is an American holiday. It's celebrated by Mexican-Americans in America. The punishment should be on the people who provoke the physical attack, but why not go one step ahead and prevent the attack in the first place? The constitutional right is also suppressed when forcing students to wear a uniform, or prevented students from wearing other types of clothes (short shorts, spaghetti string tank tops, etc). The students can still show their patriotism on every other day of the year. Why must they on this one specific day?

Oh, almost forgot. I interpreted it that way because I know how people are. Especially kids in school. Again, if they wear the shirt throughout the year and they just happened to also wear it on that day, then fine. But only wearing it on that specific holiday is obviously just doing it to be an intolerant asshole.

So what if it's celebrated by Mexican-Americans? That shouldn't give them any sort of entitlement to that day regarding how other people dress. If the students decide to wear a shirt that is allowed every other day of the school year, it's not reasonable to ban it on that day alone. At most, warn students that it could provoke violence, but the shirt alone doesn't create the issue. The issue is created by people having entitlement.

Students being forced to wear a uniform is almost exclusive to private schools in America, thus there is a form of choice of not going to that school (even though that is up to the parents). Short shorts and spaghetti strings can be argued that it causes a titillating distraction should a malfunction occur. A flag on a shirt doesn't cause titillation from a malfunction any more than a shirt that doesn't have a flag on it. Those short shorts and spaghetti strings aren't banned on only 1 day of the year, and they certainly don't express patriotic views.

Why shouldn't they show their patriotism on that particular day? Why is it not okay for students to wear the US flag on their shirts on the Cinco de Mayo, but wearing a British flag on the 4th of July is okay? Both may be impolite ideas, but neither should be banned.

And I consider intolerance to go both ways, unlike how the media portrays it to be exclusively held by one race. Why is some one not an intolerant ass hole for trying to have their country's event be celebrated in a separate country and forcing people to change the way they dress for that day to respect them?

So what if it's celebrated by Mexican-Americans? That shouldn't give them any sort of entitlement to that day regarding how other people dress. If the students decide to wear a shirt that is allowed every other day of the school year, it's not reasonable to ban it on that day alone. At most, warn students that it could provoke violence, but the shirt alone doesn't create the issue. The issue is created by people having entitlement.

Students being forced to wear a uniform is almost exclusive to private schools in America, thus there is a form of choice of not going to that school (even though that is up to the parents). Short shorts and spaghetti strings can be argued that it causes a titillating distraction should a malfunction occur. A flag on a shirt doesn't cause titillation from a malfunction any more than a shirt that doesn't have a flag on it, and those short shorts and spaghetti strings aren't banned on only 1 day of the year, and they certainly don't express patriotic views.

Why shouldn't they show their patriotism on that that particular day? Why is it not okay for students to wear the US flag on their shirts on the Cinco de Mayo, but wearing a British flag on the 4th of July is okay? Both may be impolite ideas, but neither should be banned.

And I consider intolerance to go both ways, unlike how the media portrays it to be exclusively held by one race. Why is some one not an intolerant ass hole for trying to have their country's event be celebrated in a separate country and forcing people to change the way they dress for that day to respect them?

I edited my post above, probably while you were typing this. In reality, it should be okay for people to wear whatever they want whenever they. The issue is when violence is caused. Yes, intolerance does go both ways, which is why the violence does happen. Either people wearing the shirt act in a way to provoke violence (intolerance towards the Mexican) or the Mexican provokes the violence simply because someone is wearing the shirt (intolerance towards the American). The uniform thing is true, and was a bad example by me. The flag on the shirt is causing worse distractions than the spaghetti strings. Instead of titillating (amazing word) distractions, they are causing violent distractions. Regardless of who provokes it, it falls back on the wearing of the shirt, so not allowing students to wear that shirt should cut down on the violence. Is your patriotism really more important than the safety of students?

Also, I said it isn't okay to wear the British flag in America on the 4th of July. I did however edit that, saying it's a bad example because in this case it is wearing the American flag in America. Obviously wearing the British flag in Britain is fine on the 4th of July since it isn't a holiday there. In this case it's wearing the American flag in America, on a day celebrating Mexican heritage in America.

Edited by willpv23

The uniform thing is true, and was a bad example by me. The flag on the shirt is causing worse distractions than the spaghetti strings. Instead of titillating (amazing word) distractions, they are causing violent distractions. Regardless of who provokes it, it falls back on the wearing of the shirt, so not allowing students to wear that shirt should cut down on the violence. Is your patriotism really more important than the safety of students?

The school needs to find a way to deter it outside of banning the wearing of a non-offensive shirt. Whether it is bringing in more security guards for that day or much harsher punishments for fights occurring as a result of the flag being worn. Maybe even threaten banning Cinco de Mayo activities should violence occur. I'm not sure what High Schools in California do for that day, but there were parties in my Spanish class throughout my 4 years in it.

Or just keep immigrants out of the country? I'm not a racist, but even on the Canadian side of things, they allow immigrants into our countries, they take our jobs, leaving the unemployment rates to skyrocket because they want to show "diversity" they expect us to change our ways of life to benefit them ie in some religions they want to be able to beat their wives.. they wanted to move here & be Canadian/ American citizens, they should adjust to our way of life..

But you ever notice that generally it's someone of colour that has the problem?

Us Mexicans have the Right to Celebrate our Holidays.

This is a Free Country and we do have the Right. Also

Like they said, the Americans Kids kept on having

Disputes about Mexican Holidays. Mexicans have all

the Same Rights as Americans! Not just Mexicans all

Immigrants from any other Country as well. Black, Pink,

Purple, orange, does not matter what race. They are

also Humans.

Sergeanto!

That's stupid that they banned wearing a shirt with the American flag. Instead of banning the shirt, why not deal with the students causing trouble? Everybody in that country is free to express their opinion. I also agree with what Sergeanto said above.

Or just keep immigrants out of the country? I'm not a racist, but even on the Canadian side of things, they allow immigrants into our countries, they take our jobs, leaving the unemployment rates to skyrocket because they want to show "diversity" they expect us to change our ways of life to benefit them ie in some religions they want to be able to beat their wives.. they wanted to move here & be Canadian/ American citizens, they should adjust to our way of life..

But you ever notice that generally it's someone of colour that has the problem?

As a fellow Canadian, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I myself am an immigrant to Canada (I came here when I was 1.5 years old) but I identify as a Canadian when asked where I'm from. Likewise, there are many immigrants who come to Canada who accept Canadian culture with open arms.

I live in Toronto, which is considered to be the most multi-cultural city in North America by some people. I can say for a fact that a large majority of immigrants do not cause problems, and are a benefit to our country. There is of course, a small minority that do cause problems and these people come from all over the world.

I agree with you that people who come to Canada should adopt Canadian practices, and our government agrees with that too. We have obviously not decriminalized spousal abuse nor have we allowed any type of religious or cultural violence to be acceptable. The government has never said, and never will say that anybody is allowed to break the Criminal Code of Canada for any religious reason.   

The solution isn't to stop immigration, but rather to have more stringent immigration policies to make sure that people who are coming into the country will be beneficial to Canadian society.

As a fellow Canadian, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. I myself am an immigrant to Canada (I came here when I was 1.5 years old) but I identify as a Canadian when asked where I'm from. Likewise, there are many immigrants who come to Canada who accept Canadian culture with open arms.

I live in Toronto, which is considered to be the most multi-cultural city in North America by some people. I can say for a fact that a large majority of immigrants do not cause problems, and are a benefit to our country. There is of course, a small minority that do cause problems and these people come from all over the world.

I agree with you that people who come to Canada should adopt Canadian practices, and our government agrees with that too. We have obviously not decriminalized spousal abuse nor have we allowed any type of religious or cultural violence to be acceptable. The government has never said, and never will say that anybody is allowed to break the Criminal Code of Canada for any religious reason.   

The solution isn't to stop immigration, but rather to have more stringent immigration policies to make sure that people who are coming into the country will be beneficial to Canadian society.

Coming to Canada at a very young age is very different then waiting until your 30 or 40 years old, you have your whole life to adjust to our way of life, immigrants that are seasoned come here & feel they are treated badly because they come here, don't speak a lick of English, they want their religious ways to continue as they did in Pakistan, Iraq or wherever they came from, Canada, nor the U.S seem to be stable enough to even handle our ever growing population of kids having kids, bottom line is, if immigrants are allowed to immigrate here or the U.S their shouldn't be any reason why I have to lose a job opportunity because they need a green card, the government isn't putting THEIR  people top priority as they should, i'll be perfectly blunt, if someone from india comes here looking for a job, I'm not going to feel bad if they lose that opportunity, because this is my home I have a family & it was their choice to come here & take food off of my table, I don't plan on moving to Iraq, Sri Lanka, or wherever, they move here, we get pushed aside because they need to start their Canadian/ U.S life, this is very frustrating & our governments need to learn to prioritise.