Ezra

Youtube will no longer allow monetization if you have less than 1k subs

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html?m=1

Starting today we’re changing the eligibility requirement for monetization to 4,000 hours of watchtime within the past 12 months and 1,000 subscribers.

Decided to post this here as we do have a lot of users who make LSPDFR content.  That's not how a job works.  You don't work for free for x amount of months and then get paid when you have 1k customers served.  The only thing I can think of is that Youtube is wanting to show how little they care about their community. Why else would you adopt a new rule that screws over a good majority of people?  I also find it funny how Youtube has ignored the Logan Paul situation entirely.  He knowingly posted video of a dead body, and Youtube is just kissing his ass because of the views it brought in. Let the big guys get away with everyone, and stomp on the small ones who've done nothing wrong.

It's really sad that there isn't a good competitor out there to Youtube.

1 minute ago, Kallus said:

That's not how a job works.

I just want to point to this argument specifically: YouTube is not a job. Google did not hire YouTube partners, they have no obligation to keep their channel partnered aside from whatever was agreed to when it was partnered (which I doubt most people read, I know I didn't).

I think this is a good change, to be honest. It means they have less channels to worry about when it comes to (de)monetization. As it stands, they have to make global "not advertiser friendly" takedowns simply because they can't enforce or control the advertisements on every single partnered channel individually. Maybe this will end the "adpocolypse" (probably not but wishful thinking).

I was partnered because I had a single video get over 1,000 views. If every single person with over 1,000 views is partnered, it is literally impossible to please everyone. Now they might be able to focus a bit more on making things better for partners.

Also, if you don't already meet these guidelines, there is no way you are making a living off of YouTube. If anything it's a side gig or hobby that just won't be paying anymore.

"Work and ideas get stolen, then you keep moving on doing your thing."

6 minutes ago, willpv23 said:

I just want to point to this argument specifically: YouTube is not a job. Google did not hire YouTube partners, they have no obligation to keep their channel partnered aside from whatever was agreed to when it was partnered (which I doubt most people read, I know I didn't).

I think this is a good change, to be honest. It means they have less channels to worry about when it comes to (de)monetization. As it stands, they have to make global "not advertiser friendly" takedowns simply because they can't enforce or control the advertisements on every single partnered channel individually. Maybe this will end the "adpocolypse" (probably not but wishful thinking).

I was partnered because I had a single video get over 1,000 views. If every single person with over 1,000 views is partnered, it is literally impossible to please everyone. Now they might be able to focus a bit more on making things better for partners.

Also, if you don't already meet these guidelines, there is no way you are making a living off of YouTube. If anything it's a side gig or hobby that just won't be paying anymore.

Youtube is a job, though.  People make money off of uploading videos.  Is it your traditional job with the same set up and hiring process?  Not at all, and I understand this is a different scenario, but still.  Expecting people to work for free until x amount of subs and views, all to make a tiny bit of money?  I can see more people saying "fuck that" and just quitting, or not even starting.  Do we really want to discourage the smaller guys?  I know someone will make the argument, so let me be clear:  Most people start off doing this for fun with the plan of making money eventually.  For most, Youtube is their full time career, for others it's a side hobby where they can make a few bucks off one video.  Why is that a bad thing?

There are better ways to fix the system and prevent one video from getting someone partnered when they'll never upload again.  That is an easy thing to try and solve.  Shitting on all the smaller and up and coming ones just because Youtube is far too big to monitor everything themselves?  Seems like a cop out.

Just now, Kallus said:

Youtube is a job, though.  People make money off of uploading videos.  Is it your traditional job with the same set up and hiring process?  Not at all, and I understand this is a different scenario, but still.  Expecting people to work for free until x amount of subs and views, all to make a tiny bit of money?  I can see more people saying "fuck that" and just quitting, or not even starting.  Do we really want to discourage the smaller guys?  I know someone will make the argument, so let me be clear:  Most people start off doing this for fun with the plan of making money eventually.  For most, Youtube is their full time career, for others it's a side hobby where they can make a few bucks off one video.  Why is that a bad thing?

There are better ways to fix the system and prevent one video from getting someone partnered when they'll never upload again.  That is an easy thing to try and solve.  Shitting on all the smaller and up and coming ones just because Youtube is far too big to monitor everything themselves?  Seems like a cop out.

It's not really a job though. It's more similar to something like being a Deliveroo rider or an Avon rep. You have full freedom to do whatever the hell you want. YouTube isn't asking you to do anything. I think it's really hard to classify it as a job based on this.

It all, for YouTube, probably comes down to cost. I mean this is all a response to the 2017 situation where people managed to find big brands next to neo-Nazi and morally reprehensible content. These channels tend to have a small amount of views, so it's an easy way of stopping that happening again.

I got hit with that email last night.. can't say I'm not surprised honestly. I've been a YouTube partner for a little over 6 years, haven't made much, and I wasn't in it for the money to begin with, it was just an extra bonus. Ever since this new advertisement crap has been going out, it's almost like google/youtube is trying to make itself collapse, which if that's what they want that's what they'll get.. 

Spoiler

The people who aren't meeting these requirements are already getting paid almost nothing. YouTube has also gotten so much larger than when the program was originally set up. More money needs to go to mid-size channels (100k subs) and less to the thousands of channels with 500 subs who each are getting paid probably a dollar per video. A lot of these channels are sucking the money away from YouTube with little to no return. Just not financially viable.

I find this to be a harsh requirement, I say that as an outsider, I don't create YouTube videos nor do I want to make any, I do however watch many, many channels and some of them are relatively small, and these are the channels which are going to be affected. It's worth pointing out that the main reasons behind this change is because advertisers are leaving due to their adverts being placed on 'controversial' videos and that most of those videos forcing this decision are from YouTubers which already fall within this criteria (some being in excess of 1 million subscribers). 

YouTube as a platform is currently broken, and for all the open messages that they send out from the YouTube Management it really doesn't make a difference. I have yet to see a change or 'open letter' solve the problems they have been having, they acknowledge and issue and just brush over doing anything about it.

Whilst you don't get much money as a smaller channel, arguably it helps you purchase things like games which gives you the ability to record more games and reach a wider audience, you're now going to struggle to do this unless you use Patreon type systems. Yet the people responsible like Logan Paul who pulls in like 50k a month will have no income for a month and continue doing what he wants.

Dead guy in a video on the YouTube trending tab from a YouTuber with 15 million subscribers + YouTube Management = Let's just make it harder for the small channels. - Well played YouTube, well played. 

Why even have signatures-....

Google is biased trash anyway, their founder thinks there are no biological differences between men and women. YouTube has been suppressing content creators that don't match their agenda for years. So sad, I had a couple of monetized NHL videos and because pissed off some communist Google Employee on a Stephen Colbert video they just blocked all acess to my YouTube account. It sucks when even the small time content creators are feeling the pinch. Then again these days people would rather see you kill/hurt police on youtube rather than play them in a video game. Society has gone downhill fast, at least in the US.

derp.png

4-DAVID-20 

1 hour ago, LCPDDevin91 said:

So sad, I had a couple of monetized NHL videos and because pissed off some communist Google Employee on a Stephen Colbert video they just blocked all acess to my YouTube account.

You know, I think that was you committing multiple copyright violations. And major sporting bodies like the NHL, the IOC and the NFL really don't like copyright violations. That was definitely your wrongdoing, there.

Why does GTA modding hate me?!

met-ssq-banner.png.103ff56432d9f43b3fb6c09822e0e399.png

*cracks knuckles*

Now I await the h3h3 video of Ethan slamming into YouTube. Speaking of which, Logan Paul did get hit with a lot of negative kickback. YouTube canceled his YouTube Red shows, movies and removed him from a few programs. The guys gone into hiding with 24/7 security outside his house. Still, it's not enough though. As long as he has his fanbase and Google's revenue he's going to continue to be a tool, I just hope this dilemma will make him less of a tool.

Honestly, if you're under the threshold to monetise your channel you were most certainly not making much money off YouTube to begin with. Probably at most $20 a month, likely not even that. If a loss of $20 a month discourages you from uploading content, you need to take a step back and evaluate why you were uploading to YouTube in the first place. Is it because you truly enjoy creating the content or because you want the 0.1% chance of making it big and being able to turn it into a full time ""job""?

YouTube is first and foremost a business. It was never intended to be someone's personal platform to make money.

Google is not entitled to your content and people are not entitled to use Google's platform to make money. If you don't like the terms, walk away or continue uploading content because you enjoy doing it. 

Edited by Constable Lego

On 1/17/2018 at 3:18 PM, Kallus said:

YouTube isn't a job. You might be a freelance video maker who happens to use YouTube, but YouTube itself isn't a job for video uploaders (leaving aside people who are actually hired by YouTube to make videos). There are a lot of businesses that abuse the idea of an independent contractor, but that's really what YouTube partners are. You're not controlled by YouTube in any meaningful way. You can make videos about any topic you want, on any schedule you want, using any method you want, meeting any quality standards you want. You don't even have to tell YouTube when you're working on new videos; when you finish a video, you have full rights to it and can decide what you want to do with it. YouTube has no rights to the video unless you decide to upload it, and even then their rights are nonexclusive. While there are terms about what videos are eligible for monetization (and violating some of them might have your partnership terminated), those are just limits on what you can put on YouTube (and just because there's a requirement that the finished product meets certain standards doesn't make you an employee.

YouTube is now changing the terms of when they'll offer contracts to let people make money off their videos. They never paid everyone, so it's not like the idea of a threshold is new. By limiting the partner program, it might be a bad idea to start a YouTube channel with the idea that it'll be your job. But that's a bad idea anyway; most people definitely do not have YouTube as their full-time job. YouTube ads don't pay well enough for most people to do it full-time (and certainly not for anyone who'd lose monetization under this change to even dream of making it a full-time job). The big money is in third-party sponsorship, affiliation, crowdfunding, etc. (which isn't affected by the change), but even counting that the number of people who have it as their job is a lot less than the number of people who monetize at all. (Keep in mind that YouTube compensation and salary from a job aren't directly comparable, especially for Americans. Employees pay a lower tax rate and get lots of benefits that freelancers don't, like health insurance and retirement contributions.)

On 1/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, Giordano said:

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html?m=1

Decided to post this here as we do have a lot of users who make LSPDFR content.  That's not how a job works.  You don't work for free for x amount of months and then get paid when you have 1k customers served.  The only thing I can think of is that Youtube is wanting to show how little they care about their community. Why else would you adopt a new rule that screws over a good majority of people?  I also find it funny how Youtube has ignored the Logan Paul situation entirely.  He knowingly posted video of a dead body, and Youtube is just kissing his ass because of the views it brought in. Let the big guys get away with everyone, and stomp on the small ones who've done nothing wrong.

It's really sad that there isn't a good competitor out there to Youtube.

Dailymotion xD