Request of Two API Functions

turbofandude

To the LSPD:FR developers,

I'd like to request the ability to do two things via the LSPD:FR Mod API:

• Accept a callout
  • Set the "available for calls" variable 

Both of these features would be put to immediate use in VocalDispatch and would really bring the vocal interaction full circle, in my opinion. I understand that, even if agreed upon, it wouldn't be immediate (or possibly, even soon), I just want to start the ball rolling, so to speak.

Thoughts/input everyone?

Collin Biedenkapp

Unit S17 | Professional Programmer | VocalDispatch Developer

37 minutes ago, turbofandude said:

To the LSPD:FR developers,

I'd like to request the ability to do two things via the LSPD:FR Mod API:

• Accept a callout
  • Set the "available for calls" variable 

Both of these features would be put to immediate use in VocalDispatch and would really bring the vocal interaction full circle, in my opinion. I understand that, even if agreed upon, it wouldn't be immediate (or possibly, even soon), I just want to start the ball rolling, so to speak.

Thoughts/input everyone?

Definitely. Although issues could arise over some plugins randomly setting avaliable for calls to false or starting a random callout without telling you.

Personally I don't think either of those things should be extended to the API, they're internal mechanics. I understand your reason for wanting them but I can foresee it being a bad idea.

Although that being said I don't have any involvement in the coding of LSPDFR really, so I could easily be proven wrong.

Live Streaming daily from 8pm GMT (UK) at https://twitch.tv/OfficialLukeD - I play a variety of things 😄

Join my official discord server for support, general chat and my stream schedule! https://discord.gg/Mddj7PQ

Maybe force LSPD:FR to display some sort of notification that a plugin has accepted a callout/changed those on your behalf (so, an offending plugin could be easily found and removed)?

Or, perhaps you have to have to tell LSPDFR to allow that plugin to use those things.

Edited by turbofandude

Collin Biedenkapp

Unit S17 | Professional Programmer | VocalDispatch Developer

I think they're both great suggestions - plugins that 'abuse' this won't be downloaded much anyway as their reputation will plummet.

Having a notification saying your availability status changed would also be very useful.

My YouTube: Click here. 

My Discord Server - https://discord.gg/0taiZvBSiw5qGAXU

Useful post? Let me and others know by clicking the Like button.
Check out my many script modifications! 
Having issues? LSPDFR Troubleshooter by Albo1125.

• Management Team

These are really LSPDFR gameplay features.

I can see why you'd want to see them in the API, but the API wasn't really designed to modify LSPDFR's internal behavior (this is why we removed a lot of the function calls which were inadvertently exposed in the first version), it was designed to extend it and to use some of LSPDFR's behaviors in your own plugins.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.