Sign in to follow this  
BROOKLYNBOY2497

Why do people who upload mods to modding websites say that we "May not edit" mods?

Hello. I guess you can say I am your typical, average, gta 4 modder. When I download a mod from a modding website (gta4-mods.com, gtapolicemods.com, etc.) I notice that some mods that are textures for cars and peds say that we may not/can't redistribute/re-upload and we may not/can't edit it. I completely understand why we can't re-upload/redistribute someone else's mod, but why do they say we may not/can't "edit" them? I have NEVER in my life EVER re-uploaded/redistributed any mod that I downloaded from someone else or for that matter uploaded any mod at all even of my own, but I am pretty sure I might have edited some to meet what I was looking for originally in the best way I can (for example, using photoshop to add/ maybe remove some things from ped/car textures or to build off of what was originally there-keeping in mind that all of this is for MY OWN PERSONAL gameplay use and ABSOLUTELY NOT to re-upload/redistribute.) It is only when I would go back to that mod's "read me" or its description on the website it is on do I realize that some say that we may not edit it. Is it okay if I edit/already edited some for my own personal use and not at all to re-upload?

Thanks for your time.

You are allowed to edit it only if it's for personal use. If you wish to release you have to ask for permission from the original author

I think the commonly known answer is usually go ahead, edit it for personal use but don't distribute it anywhere or hand it out. That also means no videos or screenshots of your editied version.

That's basically how it is with my stuff, I wouldn't mind but as long as everything stays private. Most modders put it in there for good measure.

You are allowed to edit it only if it's for personal use. If you wish to release you have to ask for permission from the original author

I think the commonly known answer is usually go ahead, edit it for personal use but don't distribute it anywhere or hand it out. That also means no videos or screenshots of your editied version.

That's basically how it is with my stuff, I wouldn't mind but as long as everything stays private. Most modders put it in there for good measure.

Ok....phew..... :sweat: .....that's good to hear. Because I know I have edited some stuff, but I didn't ever upload anything on the web for everyone to see/download. I have accidentally taken some screenshots because I pressed the wrong button, but I never uploaded them.

BTW, where do screen shots get saved to? They don't automatically get uploaded, right? I'm assuming they go to some folder somewhere within the gta files, but I'm not sure.

So basically people put that "You may not: redistribute/re-upload or edit" notice in the description/read me so incase someone intentionally decides to take credit for it they can't say "well, it never said I couldn't......"?

Ok....phew..... :sweat: .....that's good to hear. Because I know I have edited some stuff, but I didn't ever upload anything on the web for everyone to see/download. I have accidentally taken some screenshots because I pressed the wrong button, but I never uploaded them.

BTW, where do screen shots get saved to? They don't automatically get uploaded, right? I'm assuming they go to some folder somewhere within the gta files, but I'm not sure.

So basically people put that "You may not: redistribute/re-upload or edit" notice in the description/read me so incase someone intentionally decides to take credit for it they can't say "well, it never said I couldn't......"?

If you are using fraps they get saved to your fraps folder. If you take them in GTA 4, they will be in the GTA 4 directory...

As for the "You may not: redistribute/re-upload or edit" you got it spot on. Some mod stealers like to lawyer their way out of things, to an unreasonable degree. Modders have to protect their work in as many ways as possible.

But I think editing them and just playing with them on your PC, never exposing them beyond your HDD, that should be fine, seeing as no harm can be done to anyone.

If you are using fraps they get saved to your fraps folder. If you take them in GTA 4, they will be in the GTA 4 directory...

As for the "You may not: redistribute/re-upload or edit" you got it spot on. Some mod stealers like to lawyer their way out of things, to an unreasonable degree. Modders have to protect their work in as many ways as possible.

But I think editing them and just playing with them on your PC, never exposing them beyond your HDD, that should be fine, seeing as no harm can be done to anyone.

Okay, thank you. That took a huge weight off my shoulders. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't breaking any laws/rules/regulations by doing that. Thanks for your help.

Do you not know what copyright means?

There's no need to be a prick.

Anyway, Brooklyn, as Double Doppler said - the general consensus is that you can edit stuff but you must keep it to yourself. I personally believe that people should share all their files freely, but sadly many people don't share the same sentiments as I do, and I assume for good reason. 

It's to protect their work.... If you come up with the worlds most innovative idea and someone else get a patent for it after you tell them and they get all the rights to it i'm sure you will want to murder them

There's no need to be a prick.

Anyway, Brooklyn, as Double Doppler said - the general consensus is that you can edit stuff but you must keep it to yourself. I personally believe that people should share all their files freely, but sadly many people don't share the same sentiments as I do, and I assume for good reason. 

okaaayyy... IDK whats shoved up in you. I was just saying that people can't release models they don't own because it copyright.

okaaayyy... IDK whats shoved up in you. I was just saying that people can't release models they don't own because it copyright.

This whole topic is about why he wouldn't release it. He just wants to know why he can't edit it.

If anything, you may have something shoved up in you so hard, that you can't see straight.

Copyright has nothing to do with it - very, very few GTA modders have copyright on their models, and almost all are violating copyright that's held by car companies. You really can't reliably protect a GTA model with copyright.

@bonehead: Actually, in the US, it is legally meaningless who gets to a patent office first. Seriously. The criteria for who gets a patent is "first to invent", not "first to file". Once you have an idea, as long as you diligently work to put it in concrete form (e.g. work to get it to the point where you can file a patent application), no one else can get the patent. If someone independently has the idea after you do but puts it into practice first, too bad for them - the patent still goes to you.

This whole topic is about why he wouldn't release it. He just wants to know why he can't edit it.

If anything, you may have something shoved up in you so hard, that you can't see straight.

IDK what's up with people on this site. His question was why he can't edit any mods and release them! The answer is copyright. Am I wrong?! NO! IDK why everyone is being an a** on here.

IDK what's up with people on this site. His question was why he can't edit any mods and release them! The answer is copyright. Am I wrong?! NO! IDK why everyone is being an a** on here.

Please re-read the first post, slowly.

Yes you are wrong, because the car companies hold the copyright on said models. Modders do NOT hold copyright, which is why they can't protect their mods with it.

Copyright has nothing to do with it - very, very few GTA modders have copyright on their models, and almost all are violating copyright that's held by car companies. You really can't reliably protect a GTA model with copyright.

@bonehead: Actually, in the US, it is legally meaningless who gets to a patent office first. Seriously. The criteria for who gets a patent is "first to invent", not "first to file". Once you have an idea, as long as you diligently work to put it in concrete form (e.g. work to get it to the point where you can file a patent application), no one else can get the patent. If someone independently has the idea after you do but puts it into practice first, too bad for them - the patent still goes to you.

Technically, all modders who create anything original have the ability to make it copyrighted. Copyrighting something doesn't require formal registration like things such as patents do. Any works of art (which you could say is what modelers create) are automatically given copyright protection for up to 70 years (in the US, other countries differ) after the death of the individual who created it.

As I'm Canadian, I'll provide a Canadian source (taken from cipo.ic.gc.ca):

Although copyright in a work exists automatically when an original work is created, a certificate of registration is evidence that your creation is protected by copyright and that you, the person registered, are the owner. It can be used in court as evidence of ownership.

No, that's not why they can't copyright. They can't copyright because it's not original - someone else (car companies) already own the copyrights, and modders are infringing on their copyrights.

Technically, all modders who create anything original have the ability to make it copyrighted. Copyrighting something doesn't require formal registration like things such as patents do. Any works of art (which you could say is what modelers create) are automatically given copyright protection for up to 70 years (in the US, other countries differ) after the death of the individual who created it.

As I'm Canadian, I'll provide a Canadian source (taken from cipo.ic.gc.ca):

The car companies hold the designs and the copyrights for said models. If we recieved a DMCA request from Ford to take down a Ford-based model, we'd have to do so by law.

If we got a DMCA request by a modder to take down Ford-based content that they 'made', we would question if they had relevant copyright and would file a counter-claim to that effect.

The key is in original. Most modders do not make technically (by-law) original content, and their content is therefore not eligible for copyright.

Modding sites like ours remove files on request of modders, and enforce what modders want as it is healthy for the community. We and other sites give modders 'pseudo-copyright'. It is not required by law.

I'll close this topic now as this question has been answered.