cp702

OpenIV vs SparkIV

Does anyone know why SparkIV, not OpenIV, is the program generally used for installing mods? What are the advantages of SparkIV?

Does anyone know why SparkIV, not OpenIV, is the program generally used for installing mods? What are the advantages of SparkIV?

OpenIV is a pain in the rear

OpenIV,though being one helluva modding tool,is less used because-as a general modder myself- I'd like it to:

• not check everytime for updates and threaten me in the face that it will shut itself down if not updated.Stucks you in an endless loop.
  • install my mods in EFLC,as well,which it doesnt support at all.I always just have to transfer each and every wtd I desire to mod to GTA:IV's directory,mod it and then take it back to EFLC's directory.
  • be fast and not just waste my 4 -5 seconds in starting.Its not photoshop or 3DSMax,you see.It should learn something from Spark.
  • Again,be fast.Spark is way faster in terms of rebuilding the archive.
  • offer simple and user friendly features like Spark.I've not even myself observed and discovered each and every aspect of OpenIV till date.

Other reason I can think of it being not as popular because newbs think of it as a "modders" tool and try and stay away from it.

People mention Spark in most of their posts and threads,so you know,Spark's....er...publicity is maintained by most of us.OpenIV...you won't see it mentioned in even 85% of the posts on this site.Maybe even more than 85.

Edited by Dhruv

I think people just got in the habit of using SparkIV because it does what you need it to (install weapons, peds, sirens, vehicles) and then advised new people to the scene to use it as well. As OpenIV has continued to improve and allows users to do so much more then just install new mods it's getting more attention. I haven't had a problem with either, but I'm now using OpenIV more and more, especially if I want to edit something.

I just use OpenIV to get my textures working on the new models, and then extract them to desktop, and install them with SparkIV. OpenIV is too advanced to do all modding with. I simply remain with SparkIV for the installing stuff.

OpenIV is a pain in the rear
Can you say why?

not check everytime for updates and threaten me in the face that it will shut itself down if not updated.Stucks you in an endless loop.
The updates is made to make OpenIV better and fix critical errors as soon as possible. Instead of Spark it's still updates and gets new features.

install my mods in EFLC,as well,which it doesnt support at all.I always just have to transfer each and every wtd I desire to mod to GTA:IV's directory,mod it and then take it back to EFLC's directory.
OpenIV have support of EfLC since 0.9.1 version which was released a long time ago.

be fast and not just waste my 4 -5 seconds in starting.Its not photoshop or 3DSMax,you see.It should learn something from Spark.
OpenIV have much more features than Spark, it's because it's need longer time to start. And BTW when I click on EfLC or IV icon in Spark it takes the same 4-5 seconds or even more.

Again,be fast.Spark is way faster in terms of rebuilding the archive.
Maybe so, but how often you rebuild archives? Really when you use OpenIV you no need to rebuild archive every time.

offer simple and user friendly features like Spark.I've not even myself observed and discovered each and every aspect of OpenIV till date.
Spark is user friendly? You are kidding? Where?

Just think OpenIV is allow to use drag-and-drop feature between OpenIV and Windows Explorer. Drag-and-drop even work in OpenIV's Textures editor. Spark don't have drag-and-drop at all. OpenIV is allow you to create new archives, Spark no. OpenIV's Textures editor is the most powerfull texture editor for IV now, with it you can do anything, even change compressions and mipmaps.

I just use OpenIV to get my textures working on the new models, and then extract them to desktop, and install them with SparkIV. OpenIV is too advanced to do all modding with. I simply remain with SparkIV for the installing stuff.

Why is too advanced to do all modding with? Why you using two apps when you can just use one tool for all.

Open IV doesn't let you import damn sound files.
Yes, it is true. But this is just one feature which have Spark and OpenIV don't have. But OpenIV have many other features like modes viewers, search tools and openFromats with is much more then audio editing.

@James Smith: Are you,by chance,from OpenIV team,stumbled upon this thread,decided to reply,made a quick account and answered are complaints.

Because if yes,then I must say your answers were very kindly,easily and professionally written.Most devs would've just come down hard if it was about their mod.I seriously,have no intentions of claiming OpenIV worse,as it has been of extreme help in some situations where I thought I was stuck forever.Its a nice software.But,I'd like to ask: Why is it so,that if I update everytime it asks,it doesn't support EFLC? Mine doesn't.

But,I'd like to ask: Why is it so,that if I update everytime it asks,it doesn't support EFLC? Mine doesn't.
What you meant "doesn't support EFLC"?

When you start OpenIV it show game select dialog:

2.png

You can select EfLC or IV.

OpenIV has some functions that SparkIV does not, you can import and delete textures in the wtd files, SparkIV can only replace textures. You can also add additional weapons and cars using OpenIV, among other things.

Oh Shite! How come I never spotted it? I used to see IV and Max Payne and I wondered why isn't EFLC here? I take my words back.

OpenIV does support EFLC.Its just that I'm blind.Literally!

I still perfer SparkIV over OpenIV. It's something I'm use to using and find it faster to navigate my self through it.

Yes, OpenIV has many more features, functions and what not. I just like how SparkIV is though. It always had this simple look to it.

I always liked how in SparkIV, you can always import something in .img and kinda of preview it before saving it. OpenIV just auto saves it. I really don't like that.

i never used openiv and i'm happy with spark so i stick with sparkiv xD

My one and only reason for preferring OpenIV to SparkIV:

OpenFormats + Student 3DS + GIMS = FREE IV model editing! They just need to add vehicle editing and they will kill the overpriced, under-featured alternative for 3D editing.

I use OpenIV for everything except exporting/importing sounds. Being able to view models without starting the game and being able to drag'n'drop is just god tier. And don't get me started on the UI, which perfectly fits into Windows 7. If now only it made viewing liveries on models possible, I'd adore the creators of OpenIV forever.

And SparkIV, well, I only use that for mods that require you to rebuild archives and soundmods.

Oh Shite! How come I never spotted it? I used to see IV and Max Payne and I wondered why isn't EFLC here? I take my words back.

OpenIV does support EFLC.Its just that I'm blind.Literally!

I glad I'm help you with it :biggrin:

i never used openiv and i'm happy with spark so i stick with sparkiv xD

You need to try :smile:

I use OpenIV for everything except exporting/importing sounds.

As far I'm know in the next version of OpenIV will be able to edit RPF archives in pc\audio\sfx folder which keeps audio files. But it's just archives not audio it self.

I use sparkiv for replacing models and horns and stuff, I use openiv when I have to install something new