Installed RAM Suddenly Decreased?

Hi guys,

As my signature says I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM on my PC.

However, tonight I was showing a friend over join.me how to view his specs, like processor speed and Installed RAM.

I opened it up on my PC, to show my friend over join.me and, for some reason, it now says I only have 4 GB of RAM installed.

I have attached an image of my specs.

The RAM is highlighted in a red rectangle.

I am not comfortable with opening my PC and taking out the RAM Sticks, putting them back in, and then restarting (like one site suggested).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this has happened?

If replying to one of my topics or a post, please quote one of my replies, so I am notified smile.png
Enermax Ostrog GT Mid Tower - Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3.5 GHz
Windows 8 64-bit
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 FTW 4GB Graphics Card - Asus VG245H 24" Console Gaming Monitor
16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz (2x8GB)
2 TB HDD (OS/ Primary HDD) - 4 TB SSHD (Storage/ Secondary HDD)

there your problem windows 8, just so you know is garbage next time go wit 7 you get more performance out of 7 then 8 and these i was tall by my gig friend that build's computer.

but you can try on taking your ram thingis and put then back make sure you pc is off and unplug off everything if these dont work go windows 7 less headache trues me.

Edited by J.J Designs

Just open your PC in a safe manner and unplug the RAM Sticks then plug back in, If then it doesn't work then contact your manufacturer for support. (OFF TOPIC: @J.J - BTW Windows 8 is fine in my opinion J.J I don't see a problem but Windows 7 recommended. Who cares we have opinions and I respect your opinion) Hopefully me and J.J have helped out.

Hi guys,

As my signature says I have 8GB of DDR3 RAM on my PC.

However, tonight I was showing a friend over join.me how to view his specs, like processor speed and Installed RAM.

I opened it up on my PC, to show my friend over join.me and, for some reason, it now says I only have 4 GB of RAM installed.

I have attached an image of my specs.

The RAM is highlighted in a red rectangle.

I am not comfortable with opening my PC and taking out the RAM Sticks, putting them back in, and then restarting (like one site suggested).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this has happened?

attachicon.gif4GBRAM.png

Please do not listen to the guy stating that Windows 8 is the problem. If you do not feel comfortable opening the case and doing so, at least, try booting into the BIOS Screen, and see how many memory sticks it reads, and if it reads 4GB and only one, then probably one stick needs to be re-inserted. If you are still under warranty, just take it to them and explain them the issue. If you are not warranted, it is actually easy to do that. Just make sure you disconnect the power cable, then press the Power On button to remove any charge inside the board, and ground yourself, just touch the chassis before touching the memory rams. If you still can't do it, try some youtube videos, if not, then have a professional do it.

If you're going to give him advice, at least make sure it's accurate. Windows 8 has no such problem with memory. This is coming from someone who uses Windows 8 as the daily driver, with 16GB of fully functioning RAM. It's quite sad how many lies are spread about Windows 8 (though I'm sure you thought you were helping and telling the truth).

Windows 8 is not the issue here. Your RAM sticks are very likely the issue - they probably aren't seated properly. The only fix is to re-install them and ensure they're firmly secured inside the motherboard. If that is done, and they aren't working correctly, one or more of your RAM sticks is defective.

The strange part is, just awhile ago (quite possibly a week) I showed a friend the same thing (not over join.me) and it displayed 8GB, which is what it should.

The PC itself is in an enclosed desk, with doors on the front, and hasn't been bumped hard recently to possibly jolt a RAM stick enough to have it register as only 4GB installed.

However, I will read through the replies so far, again, and try the advice I'm most comfortable with when I can.

If replying to one of my topics or a post, please quote one of my replies, so I am notified smile.png
Windows 8 64-bit
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 FTW 4GB Graphics Card - Asus VG245H 24" Console Gaming Monitor

Reseating the memory (taking it out and putting it back in) is, as people have said, most likely the best option. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, find a computer repair store in your area; it'd cost money, but they'll be able to do this for you.

Just ran that program, and..... no errors were detected

Looks like I will have to dig a bit deeper into this.

Windows 8 64-bit

It's very easy to remove the RAM and put it back in. It's just a matter of releasing two latches on the sides of the RAM, taking it out, then pushing it back into the slot until it clicks.

Like most, if not all people have recommended, just safely remove and reinstall your ram sticks

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it  :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

Hello guys,

After a few weeks of just looking up this problem, I finally took the time (10 mins ago), unplugged my computer, carefully laid it down on the floor, took off the access cover, removed my RAM Sticks, and switched the slots they were in, and restarted.

And, the result is.... I have my 8 GB of RAM back!

Thank you to everyone who replied to this topic! :)

Windows 8 64-bit

Hello guys,

After a few weeks of just looking up this problem, I finally took the time (10 mins ago), unplugged my computer, carefully laid it down on the floor, took off the access cover, removed my RAM Sticks, and switched the slots they were in, and restarted.

And, the result is.... I have my 8 GB of RAM back!

Thank you to everyone who replied to this topic! :)

Glad you got it sorted.