Sign in to follow this  
Mustu

Steam GTA vs. Disk?

So I was just thinking about what the LCPDFR community would prefer. So what do you prefer? Steam or disk? I personally bought mine on Steam for $9.99 while it was on sale in the winter and I have never regretted buying it on Steam. You can do everything you can on a disk version, like make effective backups (not through Steam) reinstall the game quickly and efficiently through a non steam backup and while in game, you can access the Steam chat and browse the web. As well as that, you can view several things about GTA like cheats/news/tips and tricks. I can't really think of any downsides to it. And one other bad thing is, if you lose your disk and want to reinstall, you can't. You can't even get some sort of crack, remove the crack and enter your serial. Also, when you get a new PC, or have to sign in somewhere else, your games go with you. Which is awesome, because I'm buying a new PC, so I can reinstall it easily. Also, when you are prompted to enter your serial code on GFWL (on first time startup), Steam automatically puts in your CD key and automatically keeps GTA up do date as well. But what's your opinion?

I have the disk because I bought it before I started using Steam. If I were to buy it now, I'd buy it on Steam.

I have the disk because I bought it before I started using Steam. If I were to buy it now, I'd buy it on Steam.

Same here :P

Steam wins.

CD Cons.

-Breaks

-Can be lost

-hard to find in stores.

-have to buy a whole new disk if it breaks.

CD Pro's.

-Trade able

-more portable

Steam Cons

-cant trade 

-less portable

Steam Pro's.

-Can't break

-Reinstalling the game is easier

-Cannot lose it.

much more.

Steam is far more portable than a disk.  As long as you can log into your account, you can download and install the game.  

I was very unimpressed with early iterations of Steam (been gaming since '93 on my 386 with a huge 12' monitor and Microprose F14, so seen it all), but now I simply love Steam.  No disks to mess with (or broken), no CD codes to keep track of, no stack of old games disks piling up...etc.  Plus, if the game is porked, you can usually fix it with the Steam integrity check.

My $0.01 worth.

Good day,

DrDetroit

I personally prefer the disc version.

• Portable
  • Quicker to install - You can't "instantly" download a backup on steam if you have a shitty internet connection
  • Steam overlay still works if you add it to your steam library
  • If you actually take care of your discs, it won't scratch. I've had my copy for years and there isn't a single scratch on it.

Personal opinion though.

I prefer steam over the disk any day of the week!  Steam is easy to use. If you buy a new computer, you can easily reinstall. Steam FTW!

Due to my crappy Australian internet, I prefer a disk copy. 

As mentioned by Harper, it's just quicker to install. It took me about 7 hours to download ArmA 2 through steam so I'd hate to see how long it takes to download GTA IV.

This disk isn't hard to find over here, there's always a bunch of copies for PC in several stores but that's probably because nobody can afford a custom rig here because they're too damn expensive.  :dry:

Edited by SharpCommand

I highly recommend buying the steam version. The discs they distribute it with are unrelaible - both GTA 4 and EFLC discs I purchased had degraded over time.

It got to a point where the system wouldn't recognize them anymore after 30 seconds in the drive, so I had to eject them then put them back in each time I wanted to start the launcher, which was very annoying.

Never had any troubles with steam so far, and if you don't have an internet connection, you don't have to use the steam shortcut - you can just copy the launchers from the folder and create shortcuts on your desktop.

If you're installing another one just for mods and such, all you have to do is just copy the folders and rename them, then shortcut the launcher - simple as that. No disc-errors or anything of the sort.

Edited by Double Doppler

Due to my crappy Australian internet, I prefer a disk copy. 

As mentioned by Harper, it's just quicker to install. It took me about 7 hours to download ArmA 2 through steam so I'd hate to see how long it takes to download GTA IV.

This disk isn't hard to find over here, there's always a bunch of copies for PC in several stores but that's probably because nobody can afford a custom rig here because they're too damn expensive.  :dry:

Well, I live in the outskirts of the south of England (I really don't like it because I'm from California, and don't even ask how I ended up here) and my internet is probably the slowest in my area but it downloaded in just under 2 hours. And if you think custom rigs are expensive in Australia, come to the UK. I'm actually buying my components off a Dutch website and getting one of my Dutch clan members to build it for me! Things are very expensive here.

i seem to have a problem with mods other then first response,   they won't work on my steam version of the game.  can anyone help me with this

Could be a problem with where you're installing the files. Try an Integrity Check on Steam and it should clean up errors and that sort of stuff. Otherwise, seek support in the correct section. This was about what iteration of the game you prefer, not about support. 

Mine is actually a hybrid between both. Bought the disk version but used the Steam launcher so I don't need to put the disk in the drive every single time. Is this a crack? NOPE. 100% legit since it's the one you got if you have the steam version.

Mine is actually a hybrid between both. Bought the disk version but used the Steam launcher so I don't need to put the disk in the drive every single time. Is this a crack? NOPE. 100% legit since it's the one you got if you have the steam version.

That's one way to do things  :wink:

That's one way to do things  :wink:

Exactly. And 100% legit

If any of you DVD users want this feel free to PM me :D