RLXPrez

Is it possible to mod LSPDFR installed into the Rockstar disc version of GTAV?

Help!  I recently purchased and installed the disc version of GTAV from Rockstar onto a fairly new, fairly high quality gaming PC. It runs great, but my grandson is into the latest mods.  So we downloaded and installed LSPDFR 0.3 shortly after it was rolled out. It runs great too.  The problem is now we are trying to install smaller mods like the Crown Vic, Chevy Suburban  and NYS trooper for starters.  The problem is when I watch the various you tube install tutorials, the directory structure shown all seem to be for the Steam version of the game, not for my version.  it is making me wonder - Can these mods only be installed on the Steam version but not the disc version?  I'd hate to have to shell out an extra $60 after having just bought Rockstar's disc version.  If both versions can have vehicle mods installed,  then what folders do the modded files go in?  Or where is there a good step by step tutorial for modding the disc version?  Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

disc version is fine as long as the game is up to date. If his version is current enough to access GTA Online then you should be set. When updates come out they often change/move the vehicle directories or create new ones entirely like mpchristmas2.

you should ALWAYS backup when installing mods or vehicle files.

These video's should help ya out, jeff will walk you through creating a mod directory and installing mods in the first, second link is how to install cars safely. there might be slight differences with the disc version in terms of where the main directory itself is installed but beyond that its all the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCAuilz1nbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-u9nf8_oNk

Edited by TheDude

Create a 'mods' file so that the game doesn't replace modded files with defaults every time - http://openiv.com/?p=1132. There are no differences between the Steam version and retail version, I use retail version with zero problems. You do not need to purchase Steam edition at all. 

So as far as backing up my GTAV,  after one attempted mod messed up the game resulting in a complete Uninstalling / reinstall. --  I just copied the entire GTAV folder into another folder in a different place on the hard drive and called it GTAVbackup.  Or is there a different way that doesn't use up an extra 60 Gig?

Did you let OpenIV create the "mods" folder? With the disc version this is the only way I could avoid Rockstar writing those files over every time I launched the game.
It's under Tools > Options > General > tick 'Show notification while editing archive outside of "mods" folder', then when you edit the files, OpenIV will warn you that you haven't copied it to the mods folder and will do it for you if you accept.

No I didn't . The first time I used OpenIV resulted in me having to uninstall / reinstall the game.  I'm gonna watch the videos TheDude recommended then try your suggestion.  Thx!!

beny485 - I'm still pretty new at this, but I've made some progress with the help of the experienced modders  above.  Can you describe what you've done so far?  if your posting here i assume you have the retail disc version of GTAV.  Did you get LSPDFR 0.3 installed and running ok?  Have you located the main folder where GTAV is installed? Have you downloaded OpenIV?  The first link that TheDude posted above  gives  a very detailed tutorial on using OpenIV to locate and replace original files with modded files.  I learned a couple of things from the guys in the thread above, and working with the latest version of OpenIV.  First, it will create the "mods" folder for you,  but the first time, you will have to show it where your GTAV folder is.  second, it will warn you if the folder you navigated into in order to install modded files, had not yet been copied into the mods folder, and offer to copy it for you.  Lastly,  this new OpenIV didn't seem to like the drag and drop or the copy and paste method.  I had to use the insert or + tool to navigate to the downloaded mmodified files and insert them into the correct spot in the mods folder (in edit mode).  Hope this helps.

Edited by RLXPrez