MSHP

Deciding which GPU to upgrade- Need help

Hey guys, like the title says I am looking to upgrade my graphics card to play GTA V on medium - high settings. Any recommendations on what graphics card will run great on my computer?

My current PC Specs:

PSU: 330w

OS-Windows 10 Home 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor

CPU: Intel i5-3330 @ 3.00GHz 

RAM: 8.00GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 

With those said, I was looking at the PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 750 Ti -2GB OC - Performance Edition; this any good to run in medium or high setting? Preferable to run high would be nice. I would want a graphics card that my CPU can handle.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I have an Alienware X51 bought it 2-3 years ago can't remember. Added my PSU info.

Thanks!

Edited by jim2010

a 2gb card isn't really recommended as most games now (including GTA V) would need a 3gb minimum to play the game on medium settings (3gb will also get to high settings aswell)

I'm not sure if they're available to buy anymore, but a 780ti runs GTA V perfect on high (some settings to ultra) and at 60fps. so if it's affordable then i'd get one of those. 

Unless stated in an official capacity, My responses are my personal views and do no represent that of G17 Media or their affiliates!

If you want to me reply as soon as possible, then either quote or @CouthInk4  me as i'll be notified, a general reply will not notify me

Check out my YouTube channel!https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXj0EXXJfERhPJTROHY6Ma

Untitled.png

a 2gb card isn't really recommended as most games now (including GTA V) would need a 3gb minimum to play the game on medium settings (3gb will also get to high settings aswell)

I'm not sure if they're available to buy anymore, but a 780ti runs GTA V perfect on high (some settings to ultra) and at 60fps. so if it's affordable then i'd get one of those. 

Awesome! I may give that a try unless someone else on here recommends others I will research more info on it! 

Thanks!

Well actually 2GB of GDDR5 video memory will run just fine on medium-highish settings as long as you lower anti-aliasing a little bit. It just takes a few tweaking with the video settings is all. Remember GTA V has loads of video settings and it will even run on some low-end PCs depending what specs you have and what settings you have. I have an Intel Celeron G1840 paired up with the Radeon HD 7770 1GB of GDDR5 and the game runs on normal settings at 900p with 40-45 frames-per-second on average which is fine for me to be honest. Jim's specs at the moment will probably still run GTA V without much problems since the Geforce GTX 660 will still perform good even on games like Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain around medium settings. 

Well actually 2GB of GDDR5 video memory will run just fine on medium-highish settings as long as you lower anti-aliasing a little bit. It just takes a few tweaking with the video settings is all. Remember GTA V has loads of video settings and it will even run on some low-end PCs depending what specs you have and what settings you have. I have an Intel Celeron G1840 paired up with the Radeon HD 7770 1GB of GDDR5 and the game runs on normal settings at 900p with 40-45 frames-per-second on average which is fine for me to be honest. Jim's specs at the moment will probably still run GTA V without much problems since the Geforce GTX 660 will still perform good even on games like Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain around medium settings. 

So I should try to mess with the settings first before upgrading?  Sometimes the fan kicks in high and loud lol. 

Alright thanks! Sorry for asking these questions. I'm still new to the computer world on upgrading parts. 

Don't worry about that. Nothing wrong on asking questions about stuff you're new to. ^^

I would go for a better card this will hardly get 40 fps on medium so really you buying a card that's low end.

>Geforce GTX 660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGf30oh_pM

>runs GTA 5 at 1080p, normal settings, average 70fps

>"low-end"

Right.....>.>

Honestly the Geforce GTX 660 will run just fine and even with high video settings with low anti-aliasing, it won't drop under 50-60 fps if you could do some tweaking.  

Edited by MrGhostman

>Geforce GTX 660

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvGf30oh_pM

>runs GTA 5 at 1080p, normal settings, average 70fps

>"low-end"

Right.....>.>

Honestly the Geforce GTX 660 will run just fine and even with high video settings with low anti-aliasing, it won't drop under 50-60 fps if you could do some tweaking.  

Yeah, that's a nice one for GTA 5. I have a GTX 970 2.0 and I get less far fps: 40-55fps on normal settings. GTA has something with the 970's :/

Modder started out of passion - Follow me on YouTube - Pim DSLR Productions

Yeah, that's a nice one for GTA 5. I have a GTX 970 2.0 and I get less far fps: 40-55fps on normal settings. GTA has something with the 970's :/

I am guessing when you say GTX 970 2.0  you are meaning EVGAs ACX2.0 line.   I run a EVGA GTX 970 SSC (also ACX 2.0) and play in surround (Three monitors) on GTA V on high settings with 60fps (antialiasing off and advanced settings off, and a couple of other things lowered slightly) so a 970 at 1920x1080p should be getting 60FPS on very high settings.

Honestly the 6## series is not worth it, look at getting something from the 7## (770 / 780) or 9## (970),  don't bother with the 750 ti its not that good, everyone I know that plays GTA with that card is wanting to upgrade.

the GTX 7## series has been discontinued, so any cards that stores still have in stock may be overpriced (they keep the prices high as people that want to go SLI will pay for them).

How much are you looking to spend?

System Specs: ♦ CPU: AMD 8350 (4.2Ghz) ♦ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ♦ Ram: GeIL Evo Veloce 16GB (1866MHz) ♦ GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC (Primary) Asus GTX 660TI (PhysX + Monitors) ♦ PSU: XFX Pro 750w ♦ Storage: 14.2TB Total, 1x 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1x 128GB OCZ Vertex 4, 3x 1TB WD Blacks, 1x 3TB SeaGate Barracuda, 2x 2TB WD Externals, 1x 4TB WD External  ♦ 

I am guessing when you say GTX 970 2.0  you are meaning EVGAs ACX2.0 line.   I run a EVGA GTX 970 SSC (also ACX 2.0) and play in surround (Three monitors) on GTA V on high settings with 60fps (antialiasing off and advanced settings off, and a couple of other things lowered slightly) so a 970 at 1920x1080p should be getting 60FPS on very high settings.

Honestly the 6## series is not worth it, look at getting something from the 7## (770 / 780) or 9## (970),  don't bother with the 750 ti its not that good, everyone I know that plays GTA with that card is wanting to upgrade.

the GTX 7## series has been discontinued, so any cards that stores still have in stock may be overpriced (they keep the prices high as people that want to go SLI will pay for them).

How much are you looking to spend?

Yeah, a EVGA superclocked, I can't figure out what's wrong.

And a 960? That's a option to. But like you said, what's your buget?

Modder started out of passion - Follow me on YouTube - Pim DSLR Productions

Oh so sorry guys haven't got a notification on this thread.

Anyways I am wanting to run GTA V on very high settings now, I have almost everything on very high settings except the texture quality is on normal and some other settings are on low. I am still using the GTX 660 but my power supply is 330w so I don't know what graphics card I can upgrade to since the graphics card I am looking are needs 400w or more. My budget is $200 - $300 if there's any graphics card that can run on very high settings.

ill would go with something like a GTX 960/970 

i found a GTX960 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133590

but besides a Graphic card you really need a new PSU cause you can't go far on 330w. The minimum for this card is 400w but ill would go with 450w or 500w just for safety

here is a video of the GTX 960 running GTA V on  almost everything on ultra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQwmU_Rvs

Edited by ESU

Programmer and System Admin by day, Gamer by night 

50 minutes ago, ESU said:

ill would go with something like a GTX 960/970 

i found a GTX960 on Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133590

but besides a Graphic card you really need a new PSU cause you can't go far on 330w. The minimum for this card is 400w but ill would go with 450w or 500w just for safety

here is a video of the GTX 960 running GTA V on  almost everything on ultra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPQwmU_Rvs

But then I would need to buy a new case since I have the alienware x51 R2 I think lol with 330w PSU.

I would recommend a 960. It'll get you exactly what you want.

If you don't want to upgrade anything else, maybe a 950? 

Edited by jackct

11 hours ago, jackct said:

I would recommend a 960. It'll get you exactly what you want.

If you don't want to upgrade anything else, maybe a 950? 

I got PNY GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB, but now when I'm in game I get like a frame rate lag sometimes and it'll make me nauseous lol 

22 minutes ago, J10 said:

I got PNY GEFORCE GTX 960 4GB, but now when I'm in game I get like a frame rate lag sometimes and it'll make me nauseous lol 

I personally wouldn't really recommend PNY-go for an EVGA

19 minutes ago, jackct said:

I personally wouldn't really recommend PNY-go for an EVGA

I already got it installed. Because it's the same size as my GTX 660 without me modifying the case.