ZombLee

Hand Held Flashlight Mod

Hey guys. So I know there's an abundance of mods where flashlights are mounted to pistols, shotguns, rifles, ect, but what I'm looking for is a mod for a hand held civilian style flashlight, like a mag-lite or something, and not just a blunt weapon style mod, but an actual working maglite style flash light. Does one exist?

I'm asking because just tonight during a single player patrol, I got a callout just off beaverhead avenue for indecent exposure. Alarmingly, the perp was supposedly exposing himself to people near a PLAYGROUND. Not good. Now, there were several groups of people in the area, and because it was a nighttime patrol, I found myself really wanting the flashlight that can be seen on the duty belt of the in-game officer to be real and functional. 

I mean, nothing like drawing a 9mm service pistol and aiming it at someone's face in order to use the weapon mounted flashlight, right? Lol, I think the department might get some complaints with my badge number attached. (Okay, I know there's such a thing as taking realism too far...)

Anyways, point being, does anyone know of, or can make a regular hopefully functional flashlight mod? The only one's I have found have been weapons mounted. I had my hopes raised when I saw a mag-lite mod, but it turned out to a re-skinned baton, and didn't even function as a flashlight. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who has some insight on this.  :thumbsup:

As far as I know the only flashlight mods which exist are the weapon ones. Generally speaking a flashlight requires aiming so would have to be treated like a weapon of some sort (thus the weapons ones).

LCPDFR used to have a flashlight with it, but this merely produced a circular light around the player and didn't look very good. I think that has been removed now.

In terms of making one you would need to attach it to the aiming process for it to work really, which I suppose you could do something similar to how LCPDFR has a taser, but the issue there is you will still get peds running and screaming because you've still (according to the game) pulled out a weapon and pointed it at them.

I'd be interested to see where this goes though.

That would actually be a really good idea. I am not sure if it exists.

Honestly, it wouldn't serve much of a purpose other than roleplay. The weapons mounted lights are what most people use, I think, but because I was near a group of potentially innocent civilians that just happened to be in the vicinity of an indecent exposure callout and I was too far away from my cruiser for headlights or spotlights, I imagined that would've been the perfect time to have just a regular maglite. I mean, I could've drawn my pistol and aimed it to use the light, but I dunno, just doesn't seem right.  :tongue:

More google searching seems to confirm that no such handheld light mod exists, and the maglite I did manage to find was for San Andreas, and they just re-skinned the baseball bat.

I don't know much about making models for GTA IV, but I think any modder that would try this might run into the same problem. Nothing would technically look right if they attempted to add a directional beam to a pre-existing weapon. You'd have a baseball bat sized flashlight, lol. 

EDIT: Ahh, see Luke posted almost similiar to my response here, and kind of affirms my fears. I wonder if there's a file to edit the "threat level" of a weapon to tone down the peds' responses to specific weapons. 

Edited by Hero540

This is a very good idea. Sometimes in those situation where you don't want to point your gun at them but you need some sort of handheld flashlight.

I do know there is a handheld flashlight in gta v as i see the cops using them in their cars, and no, its not a spotlight, its an actual flashlight. If someone were to port that, put the correct animations and make it work, we'd have a flashlight.

I do know there is a handheld flashlight in gta v as i see the cops using them in their cars, and no, its not a spotlight, its an actual flashlight. If someone were to port that, put the correct animations and make it work, we'd have a flashlight.

This would be tremendously awesome! In fact, I'm using some GTA V police cars in GTA IV right now, so porting models from 5 is obviously possible. Again, I don't know anything about modding, but cars just replace cars, so porting and adding them to IV is no problem as it would be just like any other car mod. However, My concern here, is what does GTA V categorize the flashlight under? If it has it's own category, say, for example, tools, that's great, but where would it add into GTA IV? It would probably be added as a weapon, and then we're faced with the problem of peds still responding to your harmless flashlight as if it were a pistol aimed at their face.

I don't mean to sound negative, because believe me, I really want this to be possible, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the mechanics of GTA IV and how it's file system works. Sadly, I don't know enough about making mods to really attempt this, so if a skilled modder knows a way, please chime in!

Oh, and of course, thanks DeputyLund for pointing out the flashlight in use by the cops in GTA V! I have never seen this, but the fact that it's there may make this a possibility! Let's keep our fingers crossed. :yes:  

In Gta 5 at the docks you will see a Security Guard using his flashlight. It looks pretty cool in my opinion. 

0_0.jpg

But I don't think that it will easy to make this in Gta iv. Anyways, I would love to have this feature! It would add a lot of realism!

In Gta 5 at the docks you will see a Security Guard using his flashlight. It looks pretty cool in my opinion. 

0_0.jpg

But I don't think that it will easy to make this in Gta iv. Anyways, I would love to have this feature! It would add a lot of realism!

That is just plain awesome. Thanks for the pic. I haven't invested a lot of time into GTA V on my PS3 like I probably should. I really wish I knew more about modding. I'm dying to know if the technical limitations will prevent this or not. 

I also want to thank everyone who's interested in this for chiming in and taking the time to post. At first, I thought I was the only one, as most people I know of just use the weapons' mounted lights. At least now I know there's quite some interest for a mod like this. 

I think this would be pretty awesome. Could make it like the GTA V one or even LA Noire:

lanoire_uponreflection01.jpg

I think this would be pretty awesome. Could make it like the GTA V one or even LA Noire

Heck yes! Seeing that picture makes me want to go and fire up LA Noire on my PS3 as well. Loved that opening, and wished I could've spent just a bit more time as a patrolman, lol.