Sgt.Kanyo

[TUT] How to make handling lines

Thanks a lot for this, there are so many cars that should have proper lines. Anyway, to test if all of this right there is no other way than going out and in the game for 8642 times?

Edited by Eagle

Well I think I've seen an ingame handling editor on gtagaming.com / gta4-mods.com (basically they are the same), but I haven't tried it. I just restart the game. Also thanks for the pinned topic.

So if I wanted a car to be less spongey, it not bounce around when I go over abump what should I change?

Here is the handling file of the car:

1777.0 1.4 85 0.0 0.0 -0.22 0.0 5 0.141 1.0 210 0.55 0.67 0.7 37.0 1.1 0.9 13.0 0.11 0.47 2.5 1.6 1.6 0.2 -0.08 0.015 0.48 2.0 0.6 2.0 2.5 0.0 25000 400010 00000010 0

So some people asked about what the values stand for in the handling lines, so I'm gonna make a small tutorial showing what value does what.

So let's take my 2003 CVPI handling first, this is how it looks:

1777.0 0.33 85 0.0 0.1 -0.33 0.0 4 0.127 1.0 260 0.52 0.67 0.7 33.0 1.5 0.95 14.0 0.11 0.47 3.0 2.0 2.0 0.1 -0.07 -0.005 0.5 2.0 1.0 2.2 1.5 0.0 25000 440010 0 0

Note: There's always a car name in front of the handling line, with at least 1 space after it.

is the weight measured in kilogramms

is the drag coefficent, which controls the aerodynamics of a car. The less the value, the more aerodynamic it is. You can look these up, usually they release the drag coefficent of a real car, when you're making a specific handling line. It's usually 0.29 till 0.38 for cars, and like 0.35 and up for bigger vehicles.

is a value that controls how many percent the car should sink into the water when it first hits it. It'll eventually sink so it doesn't matter. If you put 0, the car will float on the water for like 3 seconds, then start to sink, so you can't make a proper APC for example that drives on the water.

0.0 0.1 -0.33

are the numbers that controls the center of mass. First number is the X axis (meaning left and right), second number is the Y axis (forwards and backwards), and third number is the Z axis (up and down). Moving the car's center of mass forwards will result in more oversteer, moving the car's center of mass will result in more stable steering. You can only change a car's camera in zmodeler by moving the whole car in zmodeler (except for the chassis dummy and the .wft dummy), so it'll modify the car's center of mass in game. Therefor if a car rolls over, you need to decrease the number of the Z axis. Depends on the car, but if you experience roll over at -0.2, you should try -0.4 or -0.5 first, then move on, if it's not enough.

is the value that controls the wheel drive of a car. 1.0 is FWD, 0.0 is RWD, and anything between these two are 4WD with a given ratio. 0.2 would be 80% rear 20% front.

is the value that controls the number of forward gears. If you want to make it realistic, you have to see how many gears a car uses till 288 Km/h, since that's the highest speed you can achieve in GTA IV. For example a 458 Italia only need 6 gears to reach 288 Km/h (or something around this number), therefor 6 gears should be used instead of 7.

is the value that controls how fast the car should accelerate. It's highly dependant on how many gears you have, and what the gear ratios are.

is the value that controls the engine inertia. It doesn't really do anything in IV, however it changes the sound a bit of the car's gear change, for example for a double cluth gear, I'd use 20.0 value. Automatics should be 1.0 till 5.0, while manual gears should be 0.8 till 1.0 (if you go below 1.0 it'll slow the gear change)

is the value that controls the gear ratios. The higher the value is the longer speed you can reach in every gear. You have to play with this and gear numbers, to get the gear ratios right.

0.52 0.67 0.7

is the value that controls the brakes. The first value is the power of the normal brakes (0.6 will stop you from 100 Km/h in like 2 seconds) and it's highly dependant of the tyre's grip. Second value controls the ratio of the brakes, the third value controls the handbrake's power.

is the value that controls the steering lock. While real cars have a steering lock of 45° usually, it's best to keep this at 33° for a better steering experience, besides you don't always use full lock when you're steering.

1.5 0.95 14.0

is the value that controls the grip of the car. First value is cornering grip, a real car on street tyres would be around 1.5 to 1.9 (where 1.9 is a 458 italia) a car with slick tyres should be around 2.4 and up (not really sure about the cornering part, since it's hard to compare cornering). Second value controls the "forwards and backwards" grip. It highly depends on the acceleration as well. Check 0-60 mph times to get this value right. Third value controls how much the car should "wiggle it's tail", meaning how much oversteer there should be. A number higher then 20 will give you a car that likes to push it's tail out, however, it won't leave any tyre marks on the road, so that's kind of unrealistic.

no idea what this value does

is the value that controls how fast the car should oversteer or understeer between going backwards and forwards. If you put it to 0.5 you'll lose grip at the same time going backwards then going forwards. It'll result in a quite oversteering car, that you can't hold, meaning you'll spin out. 0.47 is a value where it's more controllable while going fowards, and more likely to oversteer while going backwards.

3.0 2.0 2.0

are the values that controls the suspension. It depends on the center of mass' Z axis, and first number controls the stiffness of the springs, while the other 2 values controls the front and rear shock absorbers (not sure about this part though). If you give your car a 3.0 0.7 0.7 value, you'll get the typical old american suspension feel, where the car bounces around. If you give it a 1.0 2.0 2.0, the car will have an extremely stiff and weird suspension, so I suggest not using this. The first value should always be higher then the other two. A race car's suspension can be super tough like, 5.0 4.0 4.0 (note how the first number is higher then the last two here as well).

0.1 -0.07

are the values that control the wheels' "moving area". First number controls how much the wheel can go up in it's wheelbase, the second value controls how much the wheel can hang down when you jump or lift the car. First value shouldn't be higher then 0.1, second number shouldn't be lower then -0.2 (and this value is used for lifted offroad vehicles only, so I say stick around -0.1)

-0.005 0.5

are the values that control the ride height and the ride height ratio. First number is for raising or lowering the car, you should use a 0.01 intervals when you try to change the ride height, any higher value, will significantly raise the car. Second number is the ratio where 0.46 lifts the rear up and pushes the front down. 0.5 is a balanced number, unless the wheels were set up unrealistically in zmodeler, you should leave it at 0.5.

2.0 1.0 2.2 1.5

are the values that controls the damage of the car. First number is the collision damage, meaning the higher the value, the faster your car will fail after each and every hit. The second number controls the damage caused by bullets. 0.1 would be an almost bulletproof car (good for nstockade) 1.0 is a good value for average vehicles. Third number controls the deformation damage, which is the shown damage. 2.2 is a value that deformates the car quite badly at 70 Km/h, if you want it realistic, you should use that. The fourth number controls the engine damage, meaning the higher the value, the higher your engine starts to blow up.

is the value that controls the seat's offset position. For example if you have a right hand drive car, and you can't enter it, you should lower the value, until you can get in. Try -0.1 first.

is the value that controls the car's value in USD. I'm guessing it's used when you want to sell the car to Joey or whoever.

is the number that controls the ABS. It's actually the 2nd number here that controls the ABS, where 4 means standard ABS and 0 means no ABS. Anything in between, are other types of ABS, but it gives a weird effect in my opinion.

Do you have the default firetruck handling line?

I can't seem to find it among my files. :wallbash:

Do you have the default firetruck handling line?

I can't seem to find it among my files. :wallbash:

7500.0  5.0   80 0.0 0.0 -0.35   0.5  5  0.16  0.6 140.0 0.2  0.50 0.15 35.0 0.85 0.70 13.0 0.15 0.5   1.0  1.1  1.3  0.12 -0.25 0.0  0.5   1.0 1.0 0.6 1.2 0.0  40000 48 300000 2

There you go.

In the future though please don't quote giant posts, instead just snip it or encase it in a spoiler tag.

7500.0  5.0   80 0.0 0.0 -0.35   0.5  5  0.16  0.6 140.0 0.2  0.50 0.15 35.0 0.85 0.70 13.0 0.15 0.5   1.0  1.1  1.3  0.12 -0.25 0.0  0.5   1.0 1.0 0.6 1.2 0.0  40000 48 300000 2

There you go.

In the future though please don't quote giant posts, instead just snip it or encase it in a spoiler tag.

Sorry. I had posted but no one was replying so I had to quote someone. Note to self don't quote large posts.

I still don't know all the ins and outs of forum posting... :sad:

So some people asked about what the values stand for in the handling lines, so I'm gonna make a small tutorial showing what value does what.

So let's take my 2003 CVPI handling first, this is how it looks:

1777.0 0.33 85 0.0 0.1 -0.33 0.0 4 0.127 1.0 260 0.52 0.67 0.7 33.0 1.5 0.95 14.0 0.11 0.47 3.0 2.0 2.0 0.1 -0.07 -0.005 0.5 2.0 1.0 2.2 1.5 0.0 25000 440010 0 0

Note: There's always a car name in front of the handling line, with at least 1 space after it.

is the weight measured in kilogramms

is the drag coefficent, which controls the aerodynamics of a car. The less the value, the more aerodynamic it is. You can look these up, usually they release the drag coefficent of a real car, when you're making a specific handling line. It's usually 0.29 till 0.38 for cars, and like 0.35 and up for bigger vehicles.

is a value that controls how many percent the car should sink into the water when it first hits it. It'll eventually sink so it doesn't matter. If you put 0, the car will float on the water for like 3 seconds, then start to sink, so you can't make a proper APC for example that drives on the water.

0.0 0.1 -0.33

are the numbers that controls the center of mass. First number is the X axis (meaning left and right), second number is the Y axis (forwards and backwards), and third number is the Z axis (up and down). Moving the car's center of mass forwards will result in more oversteer, moving the car's center of mass will result in more stable steering. You can only change a car's camera in zmodeler by moving the whole car in zmodeler (except for the chassis dummy and the .wft dummy), so it'll modify the car's center of mass in game. Therefor if a car rolls over, you need to decrease the number of the Z axis. Depends on the car, but if you experience roll over at -0.2, you should try -0.4 or -0.5 first, then move on, if it's not enough.

is the value that controls the wheel drive of a car. 1.0 is FWD, 0.0 is RWD, and anything between these two are 4WD with a given ratio. 0.2 would be 80% rear 20% front.

is the value that controls the number of forward gears. If you want to make it realistic, you have to see how many gears a car uses till 288 Km/h, since that's the highest speed you can achieve in GTA IV. For example a 458 Italia only need 6 gears to reach 288 Km/h (or something around this number), therefor 6 gears should be used instead of 7.

is the value that controls how fast the car should accelerate. It's highly dependant on how many gears you have, and what the gear ratios are.

is the value that controls the engine inertia. It doesn't really do anything in IV, however it changes the sound a bit of the car's gear change, for example for a double cluth gear, I'd use 20.0 value. Automatics should be 1.0 till 5.0, while manual gears should be 0.8 till 1.0 (if you go below 1.0 it'll slow the gear change)

is the value that controls the gear ratios. The higher the value is the longer speed you can reach in every gear. You have to play with this and gear numbers, to get the gear ratios right.

0.52 0.67 0.7

is the value that controls the brakes. The first value is the power of the normal brakes (0.6 will stop you from 100 Km/h in like 2 seconds) and it's highly dependant of the tyre's grip. Second value controls the ratio of the brakes, the third value controls the handbrake's power.

is the value that controls the steering lock. While real cars have a steering lock of 45° usually, it's best to keep this at 33° for a better steering experience, besides you don't always use full lock when you're steering.

1.5 0.95 14.0

is the value that controls the grip of the car. First value is cornering grip, a real car on street tyres would be around 1.5 to 1.9 (where 1.9 is a 458 italia) a car with slick tyres should be around 2.4 and up (not really sure about the cornering part, since it's hard to compare cornering). Second value controls the "forwards and backwards" grip. It highly depends on the acceleration as well. Check 0-60 mph times to get this value right. Third value controls how much the car should "wiggle it's tail", meaning how much oversteer there should be. A number higher then 20 will give you a car that likes to push it's tail out, however, it won't leave any tyre marks on the road, so that's kind of unrealistic.

is the value that controls how much oversteer a car should have. Setting it to 0.01 will result in catastrophic understeer making it almost impossible to steer a car, while setting it to like 0.5 will make the car oversteer on almost any steering input / gas input. Normal values should be between 0.08 and 0.25, where 0.25 shows lots of oversteer. This doesn't affect how fast the car will lose it's rear, only at what steering angle will the oversteer start. The 0.95 number controls how fast the car will lose it's back.

is the value that controls how fast the car should oversteer or understeer between going backwards and forwards. If you put it to 0.5 you'll lose grip at the same time going backwards then going forwards. It'll result in a quite oversteering car, that you can't hold, meaning you'll spin out. 0.47 is a value where it's more controllable while going fowards, and more likely to oversteer while going backwards.

3.0 2.0 2.0

are the values that controls the suspension. It depends on the center of mass' Z axis, and first number controls the stiffness of the springs, while the other 2 values controls the front and rear shock absorbers (not sure about this part though). If you give your car a 3.0 0.7 0.7 value, you'll get the typical old american suspension feel, where the car bounces around. If you give it a 1.0 2.0 2.0, the car will have an extremely stiff and weird suspension, so I suggest not using this. The first value should always be higher then the other two. A race car's suspension can be super tough like, 5.0 4.0 4.0 (note how the first number is higher then the last two here as well).

0.1 -0.07

are the values that control the wheels' "moving area". First number controls how much the wheel can go up in it's wheelbase, the second value controls how much the wheel can hang down when you jump or lift the car. First value shouldn't be higher then 0.1, second number shouldn't be lower then -0.2 (and this value is used for lifted offroad vehicles only, so I say stick around -0.1)

-0.005 0.5

are the values that control the ride height and the ride height ratio. First number is for raising or lowering the car, you should use a 0.01 intervals when you try to change the ride height, any higher value, will significantly raise the car. Second number is the ratio where 0.46 lifts the rear up and pushes the front down. 0.5 is a balanced number, unless the wheels were set up unrealistically in zmodeler, you should leave it at 0.5.

2.0 1.0 2.2 1.5

are the values that controls the damage of the car. First number is the collision damage, meaning the higher the value, the faster your car will fail after each and every hit. The second number controls the damage caused by bullets. 0.1 would be an almost bulletproof car (good for nstockade) 1.0 is a good value for average vehicles. Third number controls the deformation damage, which is the shown damage. 2.2 is a value that deformates the car quite badly at 70 Km/h, if you want it realistic, you should use that. The fourth number controls the engine damage, meaning the higher the value, the higher your engine starts to blow up.

is the value that controls the seat's offset position. For example if you have a right hand drive car, and you can't enter it, you should lower the value, until you can get in. Try -0.1 first.

is the value that controls the car's value in USD. I'm guessing it's used when you want to sell the car to Joey or whoever.

is the number that controls the ABS. It's actually the 2nd number here that controls the ABS, where 4 means standard ABS and 0 means no ABS. Anything in between, are other types of ABS, but it gives a weird effect in my opinion.

I love you, Was looking for a tutorial like this in about 6 hours, and when i finally gave up with my soon to be released car, i found this. Now i can finnish the car all thanks to you. 

I have to correct the OP about model flag values at the end of the line, since this is a pinned thread with info that is different from my tests (read - "wrong" :D ).

There are 8 numbers or less in both categories, read from right to left (1st digit is most right one. I know. Make sure). Most left ones are omitted if they are zeroes. Each number is a sum of flags you want to set, so if vehicle IS_VAN and IS_LOW at the same time, you add 1 and 4 together and write 5. You can find all flags in the "/common/data/handling.dat".

After monetary value, first one is model flags.

40440010 - 0 means no flag is set for the category; 1 means ABS_STD is active; next zeroes mean it has doors and a single exhaust; fifth 4 means it's front suspension is MacPherson strut (it changes graphics a little); sixth is the same for rear suspension; seventh 0 means it's a car; most left number contains flags not used in the game (really, all four of them are deprecated).

4088 - 8 means it's big; 8 means random cars of this type will have ABS_ALT (see below for comparison), while others will have no ABS; 0 means it has doors; 4 means you can't look back in 1st person view; four more values are zeroes. "00004088" will have the same effect.

224009 - 9 means it's van and it's big; 0 means it has no ABS; 0 means it has doors; 4 means no look back (since it's a Yankee); two 2's mean it's front and rear suspension is solid.

About ABS values:

ABS_STD is a good ABS, it will hold your wheels just below their sliding threshold. You can see slight stutter of the wheels while braking in bad conditions. ABS_OPTION will install this type of ABS on random cars, leaving the rest with no ABS. Cars used to have ABS as an expensive option back in the days.

ABS_ALT_STD is unstable ABS. This one has lower check frequency, so you will slide for half a second, then brake for half a second, then slide again, and so on. More than that, it checks all wheels individually, so you will move side to side under heavy braking. Nevertheless, it's the only type of ABS I've actually seen on the streets in real life. And a funnier one, definitely. :D ABS_ALT_OPTION will add this type of ABS to random cars, leaving the rest with no ABS.

I haven't actually checked if you can have ABS_ALT as default and a good one as a random option. May be a good compromise.

About 5th and 6th digits (suspension):

AXLE_X_NOTILT seem to affect if the wheels camber change depending on deflection (you may have noticed that flying cars' wheels point inwards); AXLE_X_SOLID seems to be a stiff basic leaf spring; AXLE_X_MCPHERSON is a MacPherson strut; I can't say for sure what AXLE_X_REVERSED does. This flag changes suspension renderer shown in game. In my tests Feroci showed some weird black rods above the hood, when used with wrong suspension type.

Note about AI drivers:

AI drivers seem to have total control over their cars, driving with no wheel spin, no under- or oversteer, and never locking up brakes even under harshest of conditions. If they don't have the brakes to slow down enough, they will crash into the object, but never lock their brakes. ABS settings will have effect only on your driving. AI braking is similar to ABS_STD setting.

That's all I have for you today. New patch meant I can return to modding GTA IV, because I don't really like V.

Edited by airbussai
Added note about AI drivers.