zippydapinhead12

How many mods do you think GTA IV an support without crashing?

While I know that GTA IV crashes a lot for people without mods xD, I was just wondering how many mods I could put into it before it just overloads or stops working. I would like to change so many different things in the game. 

Thanks!

None.

It technically cannot support a single mod, they just happen to work ok. Supporting a mod would mean it had an API and working interface etc.

To properly answer your question though, it's impossible to say. Mods all come with varying needs for memory, hard drive space, processing power etc. So the number of mods YOU could run will be different to the number of mods I can run. It depends entirely on your system's specification.

Edited by LukeD

Oh, haha okay. Yeah, I'm sure it does depend on a lot of factors now that I think about it. I'm just worried about hurting my computer. However, I guess there is only one way to find out! 

You wont hurt your computer by modding GTA IV generally speaking. Computers are quite clever in knowing if something is about to go wrong. You'll know when your computer is not too happy with the mods you're using.

Just be sure to make a backup of your GTA IV before modding.

GTA itself isn't stable, so adding mods to it makes it even more unstable. however it;s hard to tell how many mods you can use. some people can have mods and play for 5 hours whereas some can only play for 5 minutes before a crash.

it all depends on your system i guess.. for me personally i can run GTA for 20 minutes with mods (LCPD:FR, ELS, car mods etc) then i crash.

Pretty much what LukeD said, it cannot officially support one single mod. GTA IV itself is a marvel in my opinion, but adding too many "heavy mods" (car mods, els etc) will make it unstable.

I myself use quite a lot of mods. 

I've run as many as a dozen+ mods at times without much issue (EDIT: not including my car mods, which I keep 6-slots modded with nice ELS cars).  There is a point at which the problem becomes such, as stated in earlier replies, that things can get unstable and you start loosing textures and may experience many more random game crashes. 

The thing is, you can pop in as many mods as you'd like to try, and it will not hurt your systems what-so-ever.  May mess up your game, but not your system. 

Tip is to install one mod at a time, then play the game for awhile to ensure the mod does not conflict and that it actually works as intended.  If it breaks your game, just remove it.  Always back up your game files too.  Backups have saved my azz from having to reinstall many many times.

Anyhow, If you install too many mods at once, then play the game only to find out that it's now broken, you'll never be able to track down the mod causing issue if you just installed 4-5 mods at the same time.

Good luck!

DrDetroit

Edited by drdetroit

Okay, now I will definately modd with ease knowing that It wont hurt my system in any way. I will be sure to backup everything and add the mods individually to track down the bad mods. Thank you all again for contributing and helping me!  :smile:

I have a backup of my entire GTAIV directory.  If I pork something then I just pop in the original file and all is well again.

Good luck,

DrDetroit