iRagingNinja

Blue/Red Reverse Lights

Hi, so I'm trying to create a Tahoe modeled after the agency I work for. However I have run into a bit of a challenge...

I need to make the reverse lights flash blue, while the tail-lights flash red. Can't figure out how to make them blue.. I can get them to flash white, like a takedown/wig-wag.

Any solution?

Example_zpseaf2ebfc.png

I remember the reversing lights color being hardcoded into the game, so you can't change them via the model. You'd need to change the specific code locations to change the color. An example how it could look for the headlights:

'>

If you want them to flash as in like the ELS lights, you need to make a copy of the reverselight mesh, move that a bit further away from the car (only so you won't have the z-fighting issue). After that you have two options: one is to map the lights to a blue texture just like trewq said, or you could go into vertices mode, select all polygons there, and use paint -> color to color the vertices blue. If you click on the color thing, you can choose your desired color in RGB. After you selected the color, hit "paint" button a few times (like 5-10 times) and you'll see how the mesh is turned a bit blue. After that if you have lightsemissive material assigned to the mesh, it'll be glowing in game. Rename that mesh to any of the extra mesh parts or attach them to an already existing one, and there you have your flashing reverse lights.

I do believe you can change the reverselight itself (although I don't think any countries would allow a different colored reversing light color then blue) by using the same "paint -> color" method I explained above.

Thanks for all your suggestions, I really appreciate it. So here's what I did... using some tutorials as guides.

1. Made copies of the reverse lights, and moved them away from the regular polpatriot.wft reverse lights. (same method as making wig-wags)

2. I selected the new copies, with select mode on I assigned one of my emerglights_lightsemissive textures. Then with vertices mode on, I selected it (Surface>Mapping>Edit UV) and assigned/forcematerial to the emergliths_lightsemissive texture I chose.

3. Went ot UV mapper mode in one of my open windows, and moved the reverse light around to the spot I wanted it at.

4. Repeat process for other reverse lights (left and right)

5. Attached the newly colored blue reverse lights to extra 1 and extra 4 off my lightbar

However, when I go in-game nothing happens. It is just normal. My reverse lights are still the same color when I'm backing up (white) but there is no blue flashing reverse lights when I have my overhead lights activated.

What material did you use exactly? It has to look like "name_of_texture_you_are_using lightsemissive". And you don't apply it in vertices mode, you have to go into faces mode (1 left from the normal mode), select the polygons you want the material to have with separated tool, or whatever tool you like to use, hit "selected mode" (so it's red) and then go to material viewer, select your material, and hit apply.

After that just like I mentioned, if you want to use a texture, you'll have to map. Go to faces mode, select the els reverselight then with selected mode on, you go into vertices mode, and since it's a reverselight, in the "back" viewboard you right click (anywhere on the back viewboard) without any tools selected, then you click edit uv and start your mapping. Or if you want to use "vertex color", you go into faces mode, select the els reverselight (all polygons of it), go into vertices mode with selected mode enabled, then go to paint -> color and paint it the color you want for it.

Edited by Sgt.Kanyo

I used "emerglights_emis321"

It was a texture that came with one of the lights I'm using. (I modified the blue/red textures to look... better than default). I will attempt to understand your reply, and try that.

Does the texture you're using have 'lightsemissive' written after it, so in your case it would be emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive

That might explain the problem.

Did you move the lights in the right direction? If you installed the car via OpenIV, open the car in the built in viewer, can you see your mapped lights? If not you've moved the lights in the wrong direction, they need to be in front of the reversing lights, as if you were mapping wig wag headlights.

Edited by VWking

Does the texture you're using have 'lightsemissive' written after it, so in your case it would be emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive

That might explain the problem.

Did you move the lights in the right direction? If you installed the car via OpenIV, open the car in the built in viewer, can you see your mapped lights? If not you've moved the lights in the wrong direction, they need to be in front of the reversing lights, as if you were mapping wig wag headlights.

It does not say "lightsemissive" at the end. Does it actually have to? So I should create a new material, or use a texture that says "lightsemissive" at the end?

Yes, I have been moving it in the correct direction. It is set in FRONT of the reverse lights. When I don't trying to re-map it, it will flash white just fine. But when I re-map it to a blue texture, it does not do anything.

It does not say "lightsemissive" at the end. Does it actually have to? So I should create a new material, or use a texture that says "lightsemissive" at the end?

Yes, I have been moving it in the correct direction. It is set in FRONT of the reverse lights. When I don't trying to re-map it, it will flash white just fine. But when I re-map it to a blue texture, it does not do anything.

Yeah it has to say lightsemissive at the end, this is how GTA identifies the material, i.e. is the material a mesh, glass, badge, interior etc.

You don't have to create a new material, you can simply rename your 'emerglights_emis321' to 'emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive'.

You would only need to create a new material if you are using emerglights_emis321 for any other part of the car, for example if you are using it for parts of the lightbar which you don't want to lightup.

So in that case you'll need emerglights_emis321 for the lightbar and emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive for the emergencylights.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah it has to say lightsemissive at the end, this is how GTA identifies the material, i.e. is the material a mesh, glass, badge, interior etc.

You don't have to create a new material, you can simply rename your 'emerglights_emis321' to 'emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive'.

You would only need to create a new material if you are using emerglights_emis321 for any other part of the car, for example if you are using it for parts of the lightbar which you don't want to lightup.

So in that case you'll need emerglights_emis321 for the lightbar and emerglights_emis321 lightsemissive for the emergencylights.

Hope that makes sense.

Okay, so here's what I did.

Repeated process from above, by...

1. Making copies of reverselights

2. Moved away from polpatriot.wft reverse lights

3. With selected mode ON.... I assigned the "emerglights_ion_lightsemissive" texture to both reverse lights

4. With vertices mode ON, and selected mode ON I selected "Surface>Mapping>Edit UV" and clicked on the reverse lights

- selected all the points (red points) and click on it again to bring up the mapping window

- Set generate new, and force material to the one above

5. Attached newly blue colored reverse lights to extra 2 and 3 this time

6. Exported as wft.. swapped copies in OpenIV

So far going in-game now crashes me. Hmmphh...

Update: Still doesn't work. Obviously I'm doing something wrong...

If you want. I can upload the wft and wtd files, and you can take a peek if you wish.

Edited by iRagingNinja

If you want. I can upload the wft and wtd files, and you can take a peek if you wish.

That would help, I'll take a look, see if I can fix it, if I can fix it I'll explain what I did and let you replicate it or just send you the fixed files :)

Edited by VWking

That would help, I'll take a look, see if I can fix it, if I can fix it I'll explain what I did and let you replicate it or just send you the fixed files :)

Just sent you a PM with the download link to the project/wtd, wft files. Thanks for all your help!

Also, here's the ELS v8 VCF file for the vehicle as well, so you kinda get the idea of what the lights are suppose to look like.

// VEHICLE CONFIGURATION FILE (ELS V8.0)

// DESCRIPTION: Default configuration

// AUTHOR: iRagingNinja

// NOTES: Polpatriot - Tahoe

[ MISC ]

Slicktop = off

LstgActivationType = default

EnableArrowBoard = off

AllowTakedowns = on

UseCoronaTakedowns = off

[ CRUISE ]

DisableAtLstg3 = off

UseExtra1 = on

UseExtra2 = off

UseExtra3 = off

UseExtra4 = on

[ SOUNDS ]

HRN_Type = ahrn

HRN_SrnToneForMan2 = yelp

SRN_DefaultMode = stby

SRN_ResetSrnTone = on

SRN_AllowToneYelp = on

SRN_AllowToneAlt1 = on

SRN_AllowToneAlt2 = on

[ CORONAS ]

Headlights = off, 0

Taillights = off, 0

IndicatorsF = off, 0

IndicatorsB = off, 0

Reverselights = off, 0

[ WRNL ]

Type = leds

UseScnNotTkd = off

ForcePatForLstg = on

PatId_Lstg3 = 04

[ PRML ]

Type = leds

ForcePatForLstg = on

PatId_Lstg2 = 01

PatId_Lstg3 = 01

Lstg2ActiveExtras = 2and3

ExpressModeRandPat = off

ForcePatForSrnTones = off

PatId_Yelp = 0

PatId_Alt1 = 0

PatId_Alt2 = 0

[ SECL ]

Type = leds

DisableAtLstg3 = off

ForcePatForLstg = off

PatId_Lstg1 = 0

PatId_Lstg2 = 0

PatId_Lstg3 = 0

[ ENV_LIGHT_COLORS ]

Extra_1 = red

Extra_2 = red

Extra_3 = blue

Extra_4 = blue

Extra_5 = white

Extra_6 = white

Extra_7 = amber

Extra_8 = amber

Extra_9 = amber

[ ENV_LIGHT_ACTIVE ]

Extra_1 = on

Extra_2 = on

Extra_3 = on

Extra_4 = on

Extra_5 = on

Extra_6 = on

Extra_7 = on

Extra_8 = on

Extra_9 = on

[ ENV_LIGHT_POS ]

Extra_1 = -3.5, 0.0, 3.0

Extra_2 = -0.5, 0.0, 3.0

Extra_3 = 0.5, 0.0, 3.0

Extra_4 = 3.5, 0.0, 3.0

Extra_5 = -0.5, 3.25, 0.2

Extra_6 = 0.5, 3.25, 0.2

Extra_7 = -0.8, -1.2, 1.3

Extra_8 = 0.0, -1.2, 1.3

Extra_9 = 0.8, -1.2, 1.3

Edited by iRagingNinja

Just sent you a PM with the download link to the project/wtd, wft files. Thanks for all your help!

Also, here's the ELS v8 VCF file for the vehicle as well, so you kinda get the idea of what the lights are suppose to look like.

No problem, I'll try and fix it asap. I've not had a PM though haha!