In May 2016, Liberal MP

Mauril Bélanger introduced a private member's Bill C-210 to change two words in "O Canada".[19] These proposed changes are said to make the anthem more gender-neutral. In June 2016, the bill passed its third reading with a vote of 225 to 74 in the House of Commons.

Is that the change we can believe in? Auukeeeeey.

If Canada's national anthem isn't the biggest issue facing the nation, then I would be annoyed as well. 

Edited by TheDivineHustle

It takes a particularly intelligent person to hold a civilized political discussion with someone on the opposite side. 

its so ....just....aaaaagggggrrrrr this finger is for trudo

5 hours ago, rcmp said:

I refuse to sing it the so called "new" way. I knew this dam country would get fuck up again by a trudeau.

you mean that and the fact that he pulled fighter jets out of the war on....isis i believe or it was correa, but it doest matter he took them out which as you said he fuck up.....again 

In all seriousness though.

The original:

O Canada

Our home and native land!

True patriot’s love in all thy sons command…

The tweaked version:

O Canada

Our home and native land!

True patriot’s love in all of us command…

You're really going to throw a tantrum at that? Because, for your information, that anthem was originally written in french, and the french original version is already gender-neutral, so if anything, this change just brings back the english version to the actual original meaning.

Edited by Hystery

It does seem like this is being hyped up as a big issue. I mean, c'mon. The National Anthem has been changed to show that Canada is an equal, gender-neutral country. How can someone be mad with that? 

Why even have signatures-....

I mean, I'm certainly more on the right-wing on politics and disagree with Trudeau's government, but this is two words. No? It just looks like a PR move to me.

Perhaps someone can explain the significance of this to me if I'm wrong.

It seems you are acting like your Anthem has been changed to a Justin Bieber song. They've merely made it a more modern representation of how society is, I don't see what's so bad with it.

Why even have signatures-....

true well...a con to the new song is is doest roll off the tonge the same dont know about you be im singing it the orignal way the nex thing they willl do is take out God to make it for all religions ! this is a big deal bc son is refering to Gods sons....you take Gods sons out of it you take part of the Bible out, which is what Canada is founded on. how long till some says its not fair if christainity is the only religon in the anthem? this country was founded on chriatanity and they cant change that.....i hope. 

Edited by awsomeboy232

A better question would be the notably religious national anthem of the UK. :O

Edited by TheDivineHustle

It takes a particularly intelligent person to hold a civilized political discussion with someone on the opposite side. 

Just now, awsomeboy232 said:

whats wrong with that

I will drop the discussion, I don't want to steer this off-topic. But I think that may be an interesting conversation.

25 minutes ago, rcmp said:

Its more of the fact that we the citizens did not get a say in the matter also

speak the truth...but we have repersenitives

38 minutes ago, TheDivineHustle said:

I will drop the discussion, I don't want to steer this off-topic. But I think that may be an interesting conversation.

start a new topic

20 hours ago, Ben said:

It does seem like this is being hyped up as a big issue. I mean, c'mon. The National Anthem has been changed to show that Canada is an equal, gender-neutral country. How can someone be mad with that? 

There are other ways to show that, of course if that even needs to be shown.

Two words don't change a thing. It's only a profanation to satisfy the electorate. A country doesn't become 'gender-neutral' if the word thy is no longer present in the anthem. I side with Scalia, some things don't need to be changed with the society :D

2 hours ago, Hastings said:

There are other ways to show that, of course if that even needs to be shown.

Two words don't change a thing. It's only a profanation to satisfy the electorate. A country doesn't become 'gender-neutral' if the word thy is no longer present in the anthem. I side with Scalia, some things don't need to be changed with the society :D

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Anthems and pledges get changed fairly often. I can't speak as a Canadian but it seems like an appropriate change, I'm not exactly what your problem with it is.

I get the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality but I just don't think it applies to this scenario, especially because as Hystery said, the French was already mis-translated. 

You may choose not to say it, but that doesn't mean everyone else will do what you do. I have a similar problem with the Pledge in the United States, doesn't mean I expect it to be exactly how I want it.

TL:DR It's really not something to get upset about, it's literally two words.

this change is "ok" but what next....if they do this thy can basical do anything 

On 06/20/16 at 1:08 PM, awsomeboy232 said:

true well...a con to the new song is is doest roll off the tonge the same dont know about you be im singing it the orignal way the nex thing they willl do is take out God to make it for all religions ! this is a big deal bc son is refering to Gods sons....you take Gods sons out of it you take part of the Bible out, which is what Canada is founded on. how long till some says its not fair if christainity is the only religon in the anthem? this country was founded on chriatanity and they cant change that.....i hope. 

im a christen so i will try not to get that in the way