G17/ Staff position on a discord.

Noticed I've put this in the wrong place, sorry!

Hi all,

0.4 is around the corner and the community is about to experience it's biggest and best update yet. I've read another post regarding the position on an official discord and I agree firmly with the teams position, What I'm interested in is the team position on an unofficial discord. I'm going to spitball some points and then hopefully get an answer overall. This is assuming they're not outright undesirable to the staff team in which case fair enough.

• the discord would have to clearly state that it's unofficial in nature.
  • the discord would state no affiliation with G17 Media.
  • the discord would have an explicit set of rules mirroring the professionalism on the forums.
  • the discord will not be advertised on the forums unless via profile or signature, and within reason.

I ask as given the right amount of patience, commitment and some common sense with regards to the rules, an unofficial discord would thrive, allowing people to come together with members of the community. And although direct liaison with the team is impractical and time consuming, a member of staff would be more than welcome to be present in order to ensure the above criterion is met.

To summarise, if a staff member can provide an answer to the above four points that's all i intend to get from this thread and it can be closed, archived or taken round the back of the shed and shot. If you want to give a blessing to go ahead and try in the meantime, much obliged!

Thanks.

Edited by Kaller330

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

It's not really an unofficial thing if we get involved with it though, is it?  On the topic itself, it's not like we have said no to having an official LSPDFR Discord Server.  The explanation given was simply us stating that the one that we do have currently isn't public.  That could change.

that would be great sam if it had rules from keeping it going bananas from inpatient people. maybe look into something after the release of 0.4 have a good day 

4 minutes ago, Sam said:

It's not really an unofficial thing if we get involved with it though, is it?  On the topic itself, it's not like we have said no to having an official LSPDFR Discord Server.  The explanation given was simply us stating that the one that we do have currently isn't public.  That could change.

That's why I was clarifying, the only stage I suggested staff involvement was to mediate that the above was true, Just asking politely before i go and tread on any plans of your own. As i stated at the beginning of the thread  "I've read another post regarding the position on an official discord and I agree firmly with the teams position" I read the thread entirely and saw that it's something you may look at in the future. Nor have I suggested you've said no. I was merely asking for clarification, not questioning that thread. I'm sure you understand that I meant no harm, and that your reply was merely concise and not short tempered.

Edited by Kaller330

• Management Team
Just now, Kaller330 said:

That's why I was clarifying, the only stage I suggested staff involvement was to mediate that the above was true, Just asking politely before i go and tread on any plans of your own. As i stated at the beginning of the thread  "I've read another post regarding the position on an official discord and I agree firmly with the teams position" I read the thread entirely and saw that it's something you may look at in the future. Nor have I suggested you've said no. I was merely asking for clarification, not questioning that thread.

I'm not entirely sure what question you're asking us. You can create a Discord that is LSPDFR related if you want, and I know numerous people on this forum have.

Our rules are still our rules though, but there's nothing stopping you advertising it in the positions set out by our guidelines. We don't make exceptions to those policies. 

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Just now, Cyan said:

I'm not entirely sure what question you're asking us. You can create a Discord that is LSPDFR related if you want, and I know numerous people on this forum have.

Our rules are still our rules though, but there's nothing stopping you advertising it in the positions set out by our guidelines. We don't make exceptions to those policies. 

I was asking essentially that there was no objections providing the conditions I outlined were met, e.g. not advertised and perfectly clear its unofficial and unaffiliated.

• Management Team
6 minutes ago, Kaller330 said:

I was asking essentially that there was no objections providing the conditions I outlined were met, e.g. not advertised and perfectly clear its unofficial and unaffiliated.

I mean we definitely object to people using our name and passing it off as an official thing. Provided you aren't doing that, we don't object to it but we don't explicitly sanction it either.

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

I mean we definitely object to people using our name and passing it off as an official thing. 

Of course, I completely understand that, it's been made clear on prior occasions why there's isn't a discord and that's down to your discretion and noone else's. 

4 minutes ago, Cyan said:

but we don't explicitly condone it either.

This is why I was seeking clarification, if the team do not condone it, then I won't do it, hence why I was seeking a response from you guys on the matter rather than go off the back of an old post, especially if there is ambiguity in that it's okay, but then also not okay. The last thing I want to do is step on your toes. 

Edited by Kaller330

• Management Team

We can't explicitly give you permission without us making it official. It may help if I provide perspective and say that we generally don't explicitly object to the fact that there are unofficial Discords and that we don't find them, in any way, treading on our future options.

Just now, Cyan said:

We can't explicitly give you permission without us making it official. It may help if I provide perspective and say that we don't explicitly object to the fact that there are unofficial Discords and that we don't find them, in any way, treading on our future options.

This is what I'll get printed on my postcards, the answer! You've painted the perspective perfectly. Feel free to the take the thread out back and shoot it or lock it so others can see the response, a bit more clearly defined.