Tactical Donut

Change the "security challenge"

Please, change the security challenge. Make it so I have to check all pictures with cars or click pictures with road signs in it, or something, PLEASE.

I don't know how the hell I'm supposed to correctly decipher what the current security challenge says, but it's really annoying and most of the times near impossible to do so, even more so on mobile, where you have autocorrect.

The attached files are the type of idiotic "challenges" I'm talking about. Does anyone know what they say?

download (1).jpg

download (2).jpg

download.jpg

Edited by Tactical Donut
its called a challenge, not a check? how stupid

Here's what I've previously said about it. Ultimately the CAPTCHA is there for a reason, not because we want it for the hell of it.

Thank you for letting us know about the autocorrect issue, this is something that I think we can turn off on our end.

However, we are working on reducing the chance a normal user will see a CAPTCHA -- aiming to only show the challenge when we detect something unusual.

i agree.....its idiotic, would prefer a simple download button

18 hours ago, J T said:

i agree.....its idiotic, would prefer a simple download button

As I said, it's not there for no reason. It's there because we cannot tolerate automatic downloads to deliberately abuse our resources and raise costs.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:47 AM, seasonedshrimp said:

I honestly prefer the new system we've been using. If you don't understand the captcha, you can just refresh. Not too shabby.

I love refreshing 5 times in a row to download a file. 

5 hours ago, Tactical Donut said:

I love refreshing 5 times in a row to download a file. 

I feel your pain, as I've had to do this a few times as well.  I will say, this isn't something we did.  It's whoever made that specific captcha system.  I'd love to not have to deal with it, I'd love to not even have a captcha system.  That just isn't viable with how people are, unfortunately.  Others ruin it for those that have done nothing wrong.

9 hours ago, Giordano said:

I feel your pain, as I've had to do this a few times as well.  I will say, this isn't something we did.  It's whoever made that specific captcha system.  I'd love to not have to deal with it, I'd love to not even have a captcha system.  That just isn't viable with how people are, unfortunately.  Others ruin it for those that have done nothing wrong.

Of course. I’m not against the system; I’m just replying to that annoying comment above. 

Posted (edited)

On the topic of knowing what they say

1st: 3ypqv1n
2nd: 9hdbr95

3rd:  Irh1c

I find the CAPTCHA  easy, Could just be because I have messy handwriting so I can read 'chicken  scratch' but that just me.  

Edited by 0taku

I'd prefer if there was just a download button too, but it's obviously needed as @Cyan said, I think it's necessary for the website's safety, with millions of downloads i can appriciate the service of the website being always avalible (most of the time). Without CAPTCHA the server would me a very easy target and we don't want that for our #1 Mods website.

We are working on reducing the interval on how much you see the CAPTCHA. After this is done, most users won't even see a CAPTCHA because they will not trigger the security thershold required.

But some of the website time has been diverted on getting some features for 0.4 out of the door, so work on this is currently paused.

13 hours ago, Cyan said:

But some of the website time has been diverted on getting some features for 0.4 out of the door, so work on this is currently paused.

I would say that is a really good reason for pausing.  Also remember if you zoom in the page. The captchas do enlarge, and it can make them much easier sometimes.  Works on mobile too, at least on my iphone