CarlSkotch

GTX 970 suddenly drops from 60 fps to 20

I am experiencing an issue when I play LSPDFR that after some time (can be from 5 to even 45 mins) I have frame drop from exactly 60 fps to 20. It is always the same and the game stays at 20 until I restart it. It usually happens when I call for backup, accept callout, arrive on scene, or even wheather conditions change. It is pretty random. When I run my well modded LSPDFR (emergency cars installed, many plugins and VisualV) CPU is at about 65-75% and RAM is 60-70%. 

My specs are more than enough to run the game and I have applied decent video settings optimized for my GPU. Windows and Nvidia drivers are up to date. 

Just in case, my specs are below:

i5-4690K (not OC) 

GeForce GTX 970 (not OC) 

8 GB Ram (DDR3)

Windows 8.1 and both system and GTA 5 are on SSD 

I have tried many solutions and neither of it helped me. It pretty much kills my gameplay so any tip would be much appreciated. In addition, it never happens in vanilla GTA 5/GTA Online. 

21 minutes ago, CarlSkotch said:

I am experiencing an issue when I play LSPDFR that after some time (can be from 5 to even 45 mins) I have frame drop from exactly 60 fps to 20. It is always the same and the game stays at 20 until I restart it. It usually happens when I call for backup, accept callout, arrive on scene, or even wheather conditions change. It is pretty random. When I run my well modded LSPDFR (emergency cars installed, many plugins and VisualV) CPU is at about 65-75% and RAM is 60-70%. 

My specs are more than enough to run the game and I have applied decent video settings optimized for my GPU. Windows and Nvidia drivers are up to date. 

Just in case, my specs are below:

i5-4690K (not OC) 

GeForce GTX 970 (not OC) 

8 GB Ram (DDR3)

I have tried many solutions and neither of it helped me. It pretty much kills my gameplay so any tip would be much appreciated. In addition, it never happens in vanilla GTA 5/GTA Online. 

If using ENB with VisualV open enblocal.ini

find

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=0
DesiredFPS=20.0

change it to

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=0
DesiredFPS=20.0

or

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=0
DesiredFPS=60.0

Edited by Kilyin

I don't use ENB with VisualV. However, I could install it and change the setting as mentioned above. Do you think it could help?

Edited by CarlSkotch

2 hours ago, CarlSkotch said:

I don't use ENB with VisualV. However, I could install it and change the setting as mentioned above. Do you think it could help?

Hm, probably not, it was the first thing that came to mind since you mentioned 20 FPS.

4 hours ago, Starmix said:

Download GPU-Z (https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/)
Go to the sensors tab and report the maximum MEMORY USAGE seen. My GTA V uses about 3.5GB of VRAM, anything above that for your GPU will cause extreme frame drops.

Thanks for the advice. I did some quick testing in Los Santos at raining night and clear dusk and max Memory Usage is 3429 mb. Game got a bit laggy few times but drop to constant 20 fps did not occur, at least for 20 mins of playing. I will do some more testing later in the evening and let you know. 

Also, my settings say that memory usage is around 2300 mb. Do you think that VisualV (without ENB) could use another 1gb of VRAM? Maybe uninstalling it would be a solution but it would be a shame as I love the way this games look with this enhancement. Anyway, thanks for the tip! I will keep you posted.

Edited by CarlSkotch

no, that memory counter is completely false. Generally LSPDFR & Ragehook seem to use up that GB, and thats probably the cause.

Why is this the case?
GTX 970 is a 4GB card. However, the upper 512MB of the additional 1GB is segmented and has reduced bandwidth which means that the lesser accessed things are usually placed in that 512MB, however, the GPU will consume that memory if over 3.5GB is consumed, making the segment the hold up to the rest of the card. 
GTX 970 

You can see the disable L2 in the bottom RIGHT, slowing down the 0.5GB underneath

Edited by Starmix

This is what I really like about this community - you guys are so helpful. Thanks for your patient explanation.

So the only option I have is downgrading visual settings in GTA V? Also, would it help if I overclocked my GPU? I know that you cannot add more VRAM but from what I read on the internet many people are happy with the result. If it is possible, I would love to stay on my current settings as I got used to them badly. I have been experiencing this problem only for the last month (basically since 0.3 release) and I had started playing LSPDFR in July. 

Edited by CarlSkotch

Mini essays!

Most notable one to turn down would be textures, since you know, LSPDFR needs a lot of that memory for objects and cars and stuff like that. Try turning it to high, see memory usage then. Overclocking wouldn't help much, however a memory over clock may see small benefits, if your interested in trying out overclocking, PM me and I'll get you setup with the basic stuff you need and give some advice.

Okay. So I did another run in LSPDFR with texture setting changed to high and fps drop occured just after 5 mins, when I was checking plates of a suspicious car in front of me. Exactly the frame drop I described in my initial post - straight down to 20fps and stayed like that. I drove around in downtown Los Santos (smog wheather, night) and captured a screenshot showing maximum results recorded on GPU-Z. 

My GPU is: GigaByte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 

Edited by CarlSkotch

I also use Gigabyte card, good cooler, still capping out at 3.5GBs. What makes me more concerned is the fact that the GPU itself is now running at 100% usage, which means that you will have to turn down your settings until that GPU Usage stays on average at 80%-90% usage.

I have a amd390 with an i7 and 8gb of ram and I'm also having this problem. But it only happens when I change the weather, time and day.

I did some settings optimalization and usage of my VRAM do not go now over 3100mb and GPU Load is not more than 80%. Unfortunately, my random fps drop from 60fps to 18-20fps still occurs and I have no idea what else I could do to fix this. My LSPDFR is basically not playable right now due to this problem. Does anybody have any ideas? 

Having 99% doesn't damage your card, but it means that you will not get a capped framerate like 60fps. I would recommend experimenting with different settings until that GPU usage drops.

On 3/6/2016 at 1:22 PM, CarlSkotch said:

I did some settings optimalization and usage of my VRAM do not go now over 3100mb and GPU Load is not more than 80%. Unfortunately, my random fps drop from 60fps to 18-20fps still occurs and I have no idea what else I could do to fix this. My LSPDFR is basically not playable right now due to this problem. Does anybody have any ideas? 

Remove and update traffic Policer. and see what happens if you are still having the lag issue. Remove it all together first to test.

On 3/21/2016 at 4:08 AM, Dippa said:

Remove and update traffic Policer. and see what happens if you are still having the lag issue. Remove it all together first to test.

Hi, thanks for the tip. However, this frame drop also occurs while I am off duty. For example, just now I started the game as Trevor, spawned a police car I wanna use during the patrol and it happened during spawning process. It is really, really random. As addition, my settings are now med-high and usage of vram as per GTAV (I know it is not true but give the idea) is about 1830mb. 

In addition, I noticed that frame drop to 20fps always happens when I respawn in a hospital after being killed on duty. I am using EUP 7.2 if it could help anyone. 

Edited by CarlSkotch

Download GPUZ from techpowerup.

Start it and GTAV at the same time.

Quickly tab out and take the Video Memory measurement in the sensors tab, post the xxxxMB amount here.

7 hours ago, Starmix said:

Download GPUZ from techpowerup.

Start it and GTAV at the same time.

Quickly tab out and take the Video Memory measurement in the sensors tab, post the xxxxMB amount here.

Ok, attached is GPUZ screenshot with maximum MB usage and rest of measurement. It was taken few seconds after frame drop occured. I managed to have a nice, 1h patrol as LSSD officer, but when I decided to pull over a car, right after I blipped it, frame drop happened. End of patrol, I need to restart the game ;) 

Specs: 

i5-4690K (not OC) 

GigaByte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 4GB (not OC) 

8 GB Ram (DDR3)

lspdfr.gif

hmm. Not max memory usage thats causing the issue then.

Edited by Starmix

I'm having the same issue on a  gtx 960. I can't figure out what the problem is... my memory usage doesn't seem to matter, my CPU usage doesn't seem to matter, my GPU usage doesn't seem to matter.

Every other game on my system runs like a charm, almost always at 60 fps :/

1 hour ago, thegreathah said:

I'm having the same issue on a  gtx 960. I can't figure out what the problem is... my memory usage doesn't seem to matter, my CPU usage doesn't seem to matter, my GPU usage doesn't seem to matter.

Every other game on my system runs like a charm, almost always at 60 fps :/

I didn't need to start a thread. I have exactly the same situation.

Edited by CarlSkotch

Reinstallation of game helped and my problem does not occur anymore. The unfortunate is that it takes 8hrs to install all the mods back properly ;) Hope it will stay this way. Many thanks to all who contributed in this topic!

Edited by CarlSkotch