Fonespiders

How to update with out losing vehicle mods

When GTA updates like we all know it breaks mods and what not, I was just wondering ( call me a noob or whatever), how does everyone else update and keep there mods intact?

or does everyone make a copy of there Modded "update.rpf" place the new "update.rpf" into the "Mods" folder and then Paste the Modded "update.rpf" back over the new update am I doing it the best way or am I missing something cause copying that file is huge -.- and annoying. but if that's the best way of doing thing id appreciate any advice. Thanks!

You can't really reuse your older update.rpf (Unless you find everything that was pushed in the new update and extract it from the new .rpf to your old one), it'll just cause your client to crash. 

If you're using a mods folder/mod manager everything is kept intact, even without either of those things it shouldn't overwrite much other than your update.rpf, your GTA5.exe, and adding another dlc.rpf in dlcpacks in some cases, so all you'll really need to do is install anything that was previously in your update.rpf again, everything else should work fine (With a few rare exceptions... mpluxe2 I'm looking at you...).

Keep in mind that regarding the retail version of the game, I'v heard a few times that everything gets wiped. I don't see how this is the case but I'd be wary if you are on the retail version.

Edited by MoreTextures

20 minutes ago, MoreTextures said:

You can't really reuse your older update.rpf (Unless you find everything that was pushed in the new update and extract it from the new .rpf to your old one), it'll just cause your client to crash. 

If you're using a mods folder/mod manager everything is kept intact, even without either of those things it shouldn't overwrite much other than your update.rpf, your GTA5.exe, and adding another dlc.rpf in dlcpacks in some cases, so all you'll really need to do is install anything that was previously in your update.rpf again, everything else should work fine (With a few rare exceptions... mpluxe2 I'm looking at you...).

Keep in mind that regarding the retail version of the game, I'v heard a few times that everything gets wiped. I don't see how this is the case but I'd be wary if you are on the retail version.

dang I hate having to reinstall all my vehicle mods -.-, well thanks a lot you helped a lot.

It shouldn't replace any vehicle mods..

When I updated my update.rpf the other day, the only things I had to reinstall was VisualV and a handling mod

13 hours ago, Cop1980 said:

You have to make a new modded update.rpf. All the other directories should be perfectly fine as they are.

with openiv? I'm sorry just trying to get the hang of it when a new update comes out is all.

5 hours ago, Fonespiders said:

with openiv? I'm sorry just trying to get the hang of it when a new update comes out is all.

Update.rpf is usually the only file outside of the dlcpacks that ever gets updated, because it overwrites things in the original files, and so do the patchday DLC files. SO every update you'll have to copy that new file to your mods folder, and then re-add any changed files inside of it, if they are still compatible.

Edited by The Loot

10 hours ago, The Loot said:

Update.rpf is usually the only file outside of the dlcpacks that ever gets updated, because it overwrites things in the original files, and so do the patchday DLC files. SO every update you'll have to copy that new file to your mods folder, and then re-add any changed files inside of it, if they are still compatible.

Ok, Thanks for the clarification everyone big help.