Introduction to 3d modeling

flwpheonix

Learned something new in 3dsMax 2012. Say for instance you have a model that is very high poly and you want to make a lower res (low poly) version of it, open your Graphite Modeling tools and go to freeform. You must make sure that the object you want to remodel is in Editable Poly. In the selction part look where it says GRID..Change this to draw on surface. Then click on Pick, and pick the object you want to redo. Then click on the Poly Draw and select new object. This tells 3dsMax that what you are about to do is a new object. Then draw vertical and horizontal lines on the object you are redoing. Make sure that the lines intersect. When they do the new polygon will show. You can then use the conform tool to move the polys to where you need. You can also move edges and such like you normaly would. As you can see in the pic how the original door is quite poly heavy. The new one is less so intesive.

ss19-1.jpgss110.jpgss111.jpg

ss113.jpgss114.jpgss115.jpg

Learned something new in 3dsMax 2012. Say for instance you have a model that is very high poly and you want to make a lower res (low poly) version of it, open your Graphite Modeling tools and go to freeform. You must make sure that the object you want to remodel is in Editable Poly. In the selction part look where it says GRID..Change this to draw on surface. Then click on Pick, and pick the object you want to redo. Then click on the Poly Draw and select new object. This tells 3dsMax that what you are about to do is a new object. Then draw vertical and horizontal lines on the object you are redoing. Make sure that the lines intersect. When they do the new polygon will show. You can then use the conform tool to move the polys to where you need. You can also move edges and such like you normaly would. As you can see in the pic how the original door is quite poly heavy. The new one is less so intesive.

Great find! Though,I believe in making a model low poly by my own hands.Nothing equals that.

Oh trust me, so do I ,but as you can see, the door was a massive amount of polys. This method saves me amount of time in remodeling it and making sure that it matches the rest of the body. This mustang model is by me.

Edited by flwpheonix

Oh trust me, so do I ,but as you can see, the door was a massive amount of polys. This method saves me amount of time in remodeling it and making sure that it matches the rest of the body. This mustang model is by me.

Hey,mate.Sorry to go a bit offtopic,but will you please release your heli models.You know there are so less of them for IV.Please release them.

• 3 months later...

How do you go about getting the structure so correct? Some of my models have bumps and such in them, that interfere with the lighting and produce undesirable effects when using smoothing groups. Would it be something to do with the normals or perhaps I need to add some more edges?

Edited by Double Doppler

Each person does it differently...for me, I tend to look at the vertexs and see if they are in line with each other...sometimes you will find one that is pushed in or pulled out a little too far. Post up a pic of your wireframe and I can give you better advice on how to approach it.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

OOhh man I see what I'm about to be getting myself into >:) !!!

Now what about MasterCam and AutoCad ? sure those could be used to model as well?

[color=rgb(0,0,255)]L[/color][color=rgb(255,0,0)]C[/color][color=rgb(0,255,0)]P[/color][color=rgb(0,0,255)]D[/color]F[color=rgb(0,255,255)]R[/color] [u]Full Supporter[/u]

-- [color=rgb(0,0,0)]Night[/color] Shifter --