lonestranger

[WIP] California License Plates

I've been working on a complete set of California license plate bases to replace the San Andreas ones. Assuming that V will be moddable, my plan is that these will replace the existing plate backgrounds and will function with the existing random and custom numbers. At this time, I am not planning on any other designs or states, and am not accepting requests. However, I am open to suggestions and constructive feedback.

I believe that the default plate textures are 256x128 pixels even on PS4/Xbone, I plan to increase that to 512x256 and possibly an optional 1024x512 pixel version.

These are just teasers and not necessarily representative of the final release.

TwukG02l.jpg

VCXHO4rl.png

YLKSBnOl.png

Am I getting ahead of myself? Possibly. Then again, I did begin making LAPD & LASD skins for V back in 2011 when V's setting was merely a rumour.

If and when a Grand Theft Auto Vehicle Modifications forum is opened, a moderator may move this thread there. Thank You.

Edited by lonestranger

Creator of vehicle textures & other mods for GTA & Euro Truck Simulator

lonestrangertext_2014_fromscratch_chrome

[twitter]loneblustranger[/twitter] YouTube flickr R* Social Club

Wow,  a lonestranger thread.

I'm just here to post Schweet!  and click "Like this"

Please post more.  :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's been a while!  :wink: . Thanks for the support, everyone.

I don't have much else to show yet. I'm only working on seven or eight plates, and there's only six five slots for them. I'll make different month decals for each plate. I thought about perhaps making a 2008 registration decal, since it's orange like the default one in GTA V.

By the way, as was the case with IV, I think I found some of the same source material that R* did. Compare this photo from Plateshack.com with the V one. It's easier to see the commonalities while in-game, but compare the red line and smudge on either side of the "MAY" decal, and the green showing on the right of the year decal. The game's one has obviously been modified, but I think it was taken from this pic:

XI0R5dml.jpg

7jNOm8Ql.jpg

Here's the 2015 registration decal that I made. It obviously will have to be scaled down in the release, but I work in raster and this gives you an idea of what resolution I'm working in.

TwFGWv6.png

Edited by lonestranger

You should also provide the new '14 sticker that just says "14" on it, and it has the CA seal on it:

ca2014sticker.jpg

Thanks, I'll consider doing that. Do you or anyone know why there are three different decals issued? All I can figure out is that the "Smart Sticker" number corresponds to the plate number:

ca2014stickers.jpg

http://www.plateshack.com/y2k/California4/california4.html

Edited by lonestranger

Lonestranger, is this a one off project, or are you going to do all 50 US States?

No, only California. Mostly because I won't be changing the default letters & numbers. They will still be eight blue digits in the same font, in the same location in the lower third of the plate, and in a 12ABC123 format. California's plates are seven digits in a 1ABC123 format, in a very similar colour, font, and location.

Secondly, with 50 U.S. states, 10 Canadian provinces & 3 Territories, and who knows how many Mexican states, there's too many to do without someone getting left out.

I found a partial answer from a random search.

Credits to this site:  http://www.licenseplates.cc/highs.php?where=CA

(the last paragraph seems to contradict the one before it.  But i believe you are right about the smart stickers having the plate # as the serial # from seeing other examples. 

The last sentence describes serial # starting with 'P' for 2014 and 'Z' for 2015.  So it appears to only apply to the Type 3 stickers and not the standard or smart.

I am guessing the standard serials use the earlier letters for that year.  I see a lot of M+N for standard 2014.  S+T for standard 2015.)

**Need a California resident to chime in.  I'm just throwing out some logical guesses.

INFO quoted from Site:

Stickers
11 - black on red
12 - black on green
13 - black on orange
14 - black on blue
15 - black on yellow
16 - black on red

Chris Cargill reports that California started the present sticker color rotation in 1978 with Green stickers. The rotation was Green - White - Orange - Blue - Yellow - Red. White was removed from the rotation after 1997.

He has also seen two different validation stickers being used for late 2012 and on 2013 registrations. Version one is as it's been before with a 4-digit year (2012 - 2013), but he has seen two-digit validations (12 - 13) and there is now an explanation. The difference is the 4-digit version has the random serial numbers on the sticker that CA DMV has always used. The 2-digit sticker has the license plate number printed as the serial number. The 2-digit stickers are issued by the self-serve renewal vending machines at the DMV offices. Every other method of renewal uses the 4-digit stickers.

Isaac Wilson IV reports 2-digit printed validation stickers do NOT have the plate number on them; they have the same standard Lnnnnnnn format as the four-digit stickers. 2014 stickers start with P, while 2015s start with Z.

Thanks, I'll consider doing that. Do you or anyone know why there are three different decals issued? All I can figure out is that the "Smart Sticker" number corresponds to the plate number:

Forgot to do a short summary of my previous post.  -> I don't live there,  but this little mystery enticed me to go looking for answers.  Please point out any incorrect info if you see it. 

The year 14 or 15 instead of 2014, 2015 registration sticker appears to be from DMV self renewal kiosks.  Which applies to Smart and Type 3.

So the standard sticker appears to be the majority.  You could add Smart and Type 3 for plate variety.

Edited by KyneiZero

I found a partial answer from a random search...

Excellent sleuthing! Since you found out the 2-digit ones are from self-service machines, I found this newspaper article that confirms it. I won't be able to use the version with the plate number as the serial number since it would never match the random GTA number. I could use the 2-digit version with the random serial and apply it to whatever plates I choose. I could do three or four of both mail-in and self-service versions.

q5IRIEM.jpg

Edited by lonestranger

So i have been ignoring GTA V content for the most part(no spoilers).  It is nice to watch a video once in a while.  But awaiting the PC version since i don't own a console at the moment.

So how does the random plates work in GTA V.

The wikia tells me it is randomized in a certain Letter/Number format.  But does each car have a unique plate when it spawns into existence?  I am wondering because the wikia doesn't go into much detail about the numbers.  Let's say i have on my screen 2 cars of the same model,  they would not share a plate because it is the same model?

Boy... 7-8 more weeks to wait.

So i have been ignoring GTA V content for the most part(no spoilers).  It is nice to watch a video once in a while.  But awaiting the PC version since i don't own a console at the moment.

The wikia tells me it is randomized in a certain Letter/Number format.  But does each car have a unique plate when it spawns into existence?  I am wondering because the wikia doesn't go into much detail about the numbers.  Let's say i have on my screen 2 cars of the same model,  they would not share a plate because it is the same model?

I'm not completely sure, but certain vehicles have 'static' plates, meaning that if two are spawned they have the same ones. Additionally, vehicles driving around don't have the same combinations.

Alright,  i should wait till the game is out.  So many questions on how things work and i think it is just causing more anxiety.

Just step away,  play some other games.  And start digging for info on release.

For most vehicles, say your average NPC car, it is a random number/letter combo in a 12ABC345 format, like the one in the pic above, 82MFR477. As far as anyone can tell, it's totally random. Unless you're Rain Man, you won't see two cars with the same number or see the same number reappear again.

Now, that's how the run-of-the-mill cars work. For special cars such as the protagonist's assigned cars, they will always spawn with the same number, since they're personalized plates. Franklin's Buffalo will always say FC1988, for example (Franklin Clinton, born 1988):

ISF5mP4l.jpg

Lastly, you can add a personalized plate to any of your own cars both in SP and Online if you use the iFruit app for iOS and Android.

screen568x568.jpeg

sv7gU4y.jpg

That's how numbers work. Plate backgrounds on NPC cars are indeed specific to each model. Off the top of my head, Ruiners always spawn with the "sunset" background. New cars have the "lipstick" script, emergency vehicles always have "SA EXEMPT". You get the idea. Backgrounds on your own cars can be changed to whatever you wish.

Edited by lonestranger

Im hoping this hasn't been answered but, basically it has a format of AA111AAA or something like that that is randomised on every vehicle spawned, eg RD574LIG. Some cars have Special plates, like Lamars van, LAMAR G, Character vehicles, FC1988, 5MDS003, BETTY32 etc.

For most vehicles, say your average NPC car, it is a random number/letter combo in a 12ABC345 format, like the one in the pic above, 82MFR477. As far as anyone can tell, it's totally random. Unless you're Rain Man, you won't see two cars with the same number or see the same number reappear again.

Now, that's how the run-of-the-mill cars work. For special cars such as the protagonist's assigned cars, they will always spawn with the same number, since they're personalized plates. Franklin's Buffalo will always say FC1988, for example (Franklin Clinton, born 1988):

ISF5mP4l.jpg

Lastly, you can add a personalized plate to any of your own cars both in SP and Online if you use the iFruit app for iOS and Android.

screen568x568.jpeg

sv7gU4y.jpg

That's how numbers work. Plate backgrounds on NPC cars are indeed specific to each model. Off the top of my head, Ruiners always spawn with the "sunset" background. New cars have the "lipstick" script, emergency vehicles always have "SA EXEMPT". You get the idea. Backgrounds on your own cars can be changed to whatever you wish.

Goddamnit, thought someone would have explained it, and better than I did

Thanks to both of you for the indepth answers. 

I now noticed my lack of descriptiveness when i typed out the last few sentences.  I was concerned mainly with unique plate numbers.  And you answered it and more!