Black Jesus

How do I start making cars?

Hey guys I wanted to start getting into actually making car models, and I was wondering what I need to do this? I heard i need Zmodeler but what els do I need to make uniforms, guns and etc?

MODERATOR NOTICE
Moving to Development Tutorials and Questions.

I believe that Zmod and an image editor (photoshop, GIMP, paint.net, etc) are pretty much all you need, besides OpenIV or SparkIV.  I'm not a modeler, however, so my knowledge on the subject is rather basic.

You may want to give this a look: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Hey guys I wanted to start getting into actually making car models, and I was wondering what I need to do this? I heard i need Zmodeler but what els do I need to make uniforms, guns and etc?

Hello Blackjesus32,

You need:

1) Gimp or Photoshop (Photoshop is what I use)

2) 3ds max (the student version is free for 3 years)

3) Zmodeler (I use v2.2.4)

As a modeler I use 3ds Max to make the model/object, I export it as a .obj, then I import it via Zmodeler.

An image editor is mainly for changing texture colors, making skins, etc. And YES YOU DO NEED IT!

To scratch make a car, you will need 3DS Max or Zmodeler (I prefer 3DS Max). You also need the blueprints

of the car as-well. If you make the model in 3ds Max you export the file, then in Zmodeler you import the file you exported

in 3ds max. In Zmodeler you have to assign textures, UV map, create dummies, etc. It is basically very complicated.

I hope this helps!!!

Hello Blackjesus32,

You need:

1) Gimp or Photoshop (Photoshop is what I use)

2) 3ds max (the student version is free for 3 years)

3) Zmodeler (I use v2.2.4)

As a modeler I use 3ds Max to make the model/object, I export it as a .obj, then I import it via Zmodeler.

An image editor is mainly for changing texture colors, making skins, etc. And YES YOU DO NEED IT!

To scratch make a car, you will need 3DS Max or Zmodeler (I prefer 3DS Max). You also need the blueprints

of the car as-well. If you make the model in 3ds Max you export the file, then in Zmodeler you import the file you exported

in 3ds max. In Zmodeler you have to assign textures, UV map, create dummies, etc. It is basically very complicated.

I hope this helps!!!

Thanks, since its so complicating and tedious is it worth getting into?

Thanks, since its so complicating and tedious is it worth getting into?

No, its worth getting into because you can make your own stuff and not rely on someone else to make it for you!

Its just takes a little time to get used to the software, but other than that, you should give it a go!

Trust me, after a couple of weeks of zmodeling you'll be feeling like a god. Start off by using Google to find tutorials. That's how I began modeling. Do something simple, like changing a wheel, or a lightbar.

No, its worth getting into because you can make your own stuff and not rely on someone else to make it for you!

Its just takes a little time to get used to the software, but other than that, you should give it a go!

Trust me, after a couple of weeks of zmodeling you'll be feeling like a god. Start off by using Google to find tutorials. That's how I began modeling. Do something simple, like changing a wheel, or a lightbar.

Thanks for the info guys, I cant wait to get zmodeler and 3ds max next week for my bday!

Is it important to get the paid version of these softwares or will the cracked versions do fine?

Everyone has giving you some nice tips and yes you DO NEED photoshop or a similar program, you can't get by with paint. The modeling is only 85% of it and with proper textures you can make or break a model. It is going to be tough at first, your going to start and not have a clue what anything is or does. Tutorials are your friend (and there are a lot of them now days) until you get the hang of things. Start small with importing different wheels, lightbars and get use to moveing and placing those items. Don't try and scratch model right away, you have to crawl before you can walk. 

Tom is right, piracy is a big no no here but PM him, it seems like he's going to give you a private speech on piracy  :thumbsup:

I use an application called 'paint.net' (no, it's not a website) to do my textures. It's probably easier than MS Paint to use and it is plugin enabled. Another thing, from what I hear the student version of 3ds max is free for 3 years, you should use that, save money ;)

My last point, don't be in a hurry to release anything. Only start releasing stuff once you get to know what you're doing.

Good luck!