Sgt.Kanyo

Crashing on joining a random server

Okay so about a month ago, probably GFWL started to lag the hell out my game. For example when I start up the game back then it was like the menu instanly appeared where you can select "PLAY" and start the game. However since I have this problem I have to wait +20 seconds with a black screen, where nothing responds. It looks like this, you start up GTA IV or EFLC, and as soon as you see the credits, not the steam overlay, not GFWL, not anything works (not even alt tabbing). Then after what feels like a year it comes back to life. You load up your game like you usually do, everything works fine, scripts loaded, everything works perfectly in single player. You fancy joining a MP game, and as soon as you double click on a server your game crashes. Here is the important part, the game crashes BEFORE you get on the server, so it's nothing about the servers, it's GTA IV (or presumably gfwl) crashing the game. You can try this a dozens of times until you finally manage to join a server (sometimes you can even join the server, that's been crashing you constantly).

I know another friend of mine who has the very same GFWL freeze bug at start up. Another friend of mine has a bug where he has to log in like 6 times in order for GFWL to work. So first of all, can I just say, whoever's idea was to use GFWL in GTA IV, needs to be found and punched in the face real hard.

Okay I'm calm now, so anyone else having this very same problem?

Sorry for making this post this long, but it's not really possible to make it smaller.

It's not the server or the people on it, that crashes my game, it's not the scripts I use, it's not the data mods I use, it's not car mods, and it's not the weapon mods, nor sound mods. I'm all but certain GFWL had an update or sth and it messed up the game. If you have any similar problems or you just want to say what a crappy software gfwl is please do so by commenting.

Edited by Sgt.Kanyo

At the crashing part,

I have the same problems, but it started after i installed some vehicle mods ( Other people dont have it you use it -> Crashing ) So far i know GFWL didn't had any updates ( Computer cant update without notification here ) 

GFWL Sucks some now and then, but i stopped it because if i joined a server, it would crash me out due the fact i didn't had the same models / images or something.

It's not the car mods, I tried it without them, and with them. What car mods cause is crash other people out, and if you have the SMPA60 or SMPA50 error after playing in MP, then some1 near you had car mods and it got damaged, and that's why you crashed. Another case is, if you have car mods on for example the police and the ai is using that car, for example they are chasing some1 on the server, then you the user might crash too.

As I've stated before, this crash happens BEFORE you even enter the server. You double click on a server, you get a black screen, and instead of the loading screen, your game crashes without any error messages. If you open up the players list in GFWL, you can clearly see, you didn't join the server, as there are no new names added to the players list (which if some1 doesn't know, shows the last players you've been playing with).

I'm afraid you had a different type of crash.

Sorry for the bump, but come on, nobody has experienced that insane amount of lag when you start up the game? I'm pretty sure it's not just me and my friend.

Yes ofcourse I'm on the latest patch, otherwise I wouldn't be able to play in MP. Yes ofcourse I'm running as admin, and like I've explained before, there's nothing wrong in single player, so it's not the mods.

I'm almost certain it's GFWL, because when I start my GTA with my internet connection disabled, then there's no lag when I start up the game.

Sorry if my first post was too long, then just read the last 2 lines of it. There I explained what is definately not crashing my game. I'm just interested who else has this problem, because so far only a friend of mine has this GFWL lag when you start up the game, however his game at least doesn't crash when he joins a random server.

Since I have this crashing since almost month now, and I haven't installed any new mods since then. It was working perfectly fine, the only time I crashed while joining a server was at the loading screen. That means either someone has used something on the server or it was either my game causing me to crash. However, this time it's almost frequent, I crash like 9 times out of 10. The game crashes at exactly the same moment I double click on a server to join. When I open the "players" tab on GFWL (which shows the last people you played with), it doesn't show anyone on that server, which means I couldn't even actually start joining the server, it was just GFWL doing something. And the funny thing is, later on I can actually join that same server after a few trys. My guess is GFWL always checks sth online before you join a server, and well it fails and results in a crash.

It doesn't matter if the server is populated, it doesn't matter if I'm trying to host, it just crashes most of the time. And when I'm lucky, it all works fine, which again proves that it's not the mods I'm using.

EDIT: Also I've tried reinstalling GFWL a few times, so that didn't work.

Edited by Sgt.Kanyo

Nope, not that, besides it wouldn't have worked then before. Also sometimes it works, sometimes... well most of the times it's crashing.