Genze

Combat Shotgun Causes Crash - Need fix/mod

Every time I switch to the Combat Shotgun (the one you get from Police Vehicles), my game freezes and then crashes. The problem occurs even after a complete reinstall of my game.

If anyone knows a fix, that would be great!

If not, I was wondering if there was a mod that prevented you being given the shotgun when you enter a police vehicle, that way I will never need to use the Combat Shotgun and so will prevent a crash.

If such mod does not exist, does anyone feel up to the challenge of making a script that prevents being given a shotgun when you enter a police vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you installed a faulty mod in WeaponsInfo.xml or weapons.img. You should replace them with the backup you obviously made, because it tells you everywhere to do so.

@TheWhiteEagle: I just have GTA IV.

@Break: Yeah I have tried copying over the original file for WeaponsInfo.xml and weapons.img, but I still get the crash. I can use the other shotgun and there is no problem.

Still looking for a mod to prevent cop cars giving you a shotgun. Both to stop my problem, but also so I can choose to only have an Assault Rifle on my character, instead of having to have both. It breaks my immersion having too large weapons, but that may just be me.

Are you 100% sure that all files are indeed backups?  Once a full backup has been restored there's no way a previous content mod could affect the game, unless your savegame somehow got corrupted.  I don't see how that's possible, but for troubleshooting purposes, try loading a new save and see if you still crash at all with shotguns.  I haven't heard of any mods preventing cars from giving you shotguns, though, since that's an LCPDFR feature (assuming you are referring to going to your trunk) and mods LCPDFR features are unmoddable.

Like Iconography and Break said, you must be using a save game with that bad mod saved.  Use a new save game after the reinstallation or replaced backup files, and you should be fine.  

If you replace the corrupt weapons.info and weapons.img, no way you can still have an issue with a bad/corrupt shotgun mod file unless you're using the old save game.

You could try replacing that shotgun with a different one that you can DL at GTA4-mods.com.  There are some really nice alternatives.

DrDetroit

Sorry for no response, been away on holiday.

I have fixed the problem... it was a corrupted save file. Started a new save and it was fine. Never occurred to me.

Thanks to all who helped.