bucky16

Game won't start with dsound.dll

Here's the issue, whenever I have dsound installed, the game won't even run. By that I mean the window to choose whether to play online or off won't even come up. Either I'll get a message saying Securom has stopped working or the LaunchGTAIV process would run for a while and then disappear with no error message. It was running perfectly fine before and it just suddenly stops working. How the heck do I fix this? I have tried many things but it just won't work. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and yes I'm running LaunchGTAIV.exe as administrator, so that's not the problem. What should I do? And I don't know if this will help but do I really need all of these Visual C++ installed and am I missing one? (View the screenshot below)

*BUMP*

Ok. After re-installing GTA 4, it still won't start with dsound.dll, but it will start with xlive.dll. I am running as admin. I'm going to see if re-installing the GFWL client might work.

Search on google: "dsound.dll original file GTA IV"

If it is not working, send me a message. Im gonna help you.

Have you already updated to game version 1.0.7.0?

Yes. I am running the latest version.

Ok. I'll check that out.

While having dsound installed, did you try running the game as administrator?

Yes. I have always ran the game as admin. If u read my previous post, you would have saw that i posted that there.

I googled it and downloaded the file from a web site and the log in to social club window came up. But now when I click play, the game disc spins up and i can tell it's loading, but the game still won't start. Now what?  :sad:

Oh sorry didnt know that i dont think i can help u

Edited by desertlion2002

*BUMP* again

Ok, I still cant get the game to start with dsound. The only thing i can think that would have caused it to suddenly stop working is if Windows somehow managed to f*** something up really badly and I never knew that it did. If that's the case, why haven't I been able to figure it out already? Is there anything else I can do? And I'm not reinstalling it again. If it didn't work the first time, whats to say it would fix it now.

Try to move the file Xlive to your desktop from the grand theft auto folder and see if it works then. I believe you may have a conflict with Dsound.dll

*BUMP* again

Ok, I still cant get the game to start with dsound. The only thing i can think that would have caused it to suddenly stop working is if Windows somehow managed to f*** something up really badly and I never knew that it did. If that's the case, why haven't I been able to figure it out already? Is there anything else I can do? And I'm not reinstalling it again. If it didn't work the first time, whats to say it would fix it now.

Might be something to do with GFWL. Xlive disables GFWL so it may be the reason why it's only working with xlive. Try re-installing GFWL from Microsoft's website.

*BUMP*

I always did move the XLive to the desktop, and that never made a difference. And i tried uninstalling GFWL, then reinstalling it, but it didn't help. I have no idea what to do next. Im running out of options. What should i do now? The only reason I cant run xlive instead of dsound is because if i use xlive, i can't load my save game. Is there a way to use xlive and still be able to load my save just until i get the game to work with dsound?

Edited by bucky16

*BUMP*

I tried copying the dsound file from the system32 folder and the game actually started, but now I have a new problem. Scripthook now won't start. Now what? I found out it worked because the file I copied was completely different than the one I'm supposed to have in the folder. What can I do? Please someone help me!  :sad: I have no idea what else I can do!

*BUMP* once again

Now, I uninstalled and reinstalled .NET Framework and that didn't help. I tried a different dsound asi loader and it still didn't work!  :verymad:  :mad: This is getting really frustrating!  :wallbash:  :wallbash: I can't come up with any other ideas as how to fix this. Here is an attached screenshot of my folder. Is something missing or do I have something that shouldn't be there? Someone please help me!  :sad: I'm begging!

Edited by bucky16

im in the same boat as you man, i have the steam verison. it had it working before but i had re download gta after my harddrive messed up. as long as the dsound.dll is in the gta folder the game wont run,

Ok. I really hate to bump this but I am. I haven't been on here in a long time. I still have gotten anywhere closer to fixing my game so I can run it with dsound.dll The only thing I think I can do now is do a full reinstall of windows. It has been over a year since I've gotten my computer and I remember reading somewhere that it's a good idea that every year or so to backup your hard drive and reinstall your OS. It's supposed to help your computer run better so I'll try that and see what happens.

*BUMP*

It has been a long time since I've posted on here. I still have not fixed this issue And now with the game going offline by next year, I want to join a clan before I'll never be able to, but I CANNOT FIX THIS STUPID THING! I haven't been able to play LCPDFR in like months. Whenever I use dsound, i can't load my saved game so everytime i start, i have to go through starting a new game every single (expletive) time! Which takes up time I could be playing. And with my life right now, I don't have a lot of time. Please! Is there anyone that can help? I'm begging!