Sign in to follow this  
tecster

Mac Support / Suggestions

Hey Gents,

I'm a new guy here, I guess I'll introduce myself - I'm Rob, I've always loved GTA the entire series and I still play some of the original ones where you play over top of the person. Anyway, I am a first responder so this game looked like a lot of fun - saw the videos on YouTube and decided to check it out...

I'm running a late 2011 model MacBook Pro, I've had no problem with FPS games and I am downloading GTA IV (purchased from Steam!) as we speak. I plan to install the mods and such, I'm looking for suggestions on settings and stuff that I should do to make my play better. Do I need a controller (like a playstation controller)? If so, any suggestions?

tecster

I'm running a Mac as well and truthfully when it comes to running games on it I cannot stress enough on dividing the equal amount of HD space when partitioning a space for windows. Once you've done it you can't re partition without having to delete windows, basically your stuck. In terms of controllers I use a Razer Onza Wired Xbox 360 Controller, it's decent.

Edited by JAM-Justin35

I'm running a Mac as well and truthfully when it comes to running games on it I cannot stress enough on dividing the equal amount of HD space when partitioning a space for windows. Once you've done it you can't re partition without having to delete windows, basically your stuck. In terms of controllers I use a Razer Onza Wired Xbox 360 Controller, it's decent.

I just followed BootCamp's directions, I'm a rookie to the MacBook and was amazed that I could do that. Any suggestions for settings to make it smooth? My biggest fear is that it's going to run like crap and I'm going to be wicked mad, I've been looking for a first responder simulator game for awhile and I feel this is about as close as possible - I've always been in love with the free roam sort of play that GTA offers. I was considering LA Noire but it seems too limited to the game script, if that makes sense.

I just followed BootCamp's directions, I'm a rookie to the MacBook and was amazed that I could do that. Any suggestions for settings to make it smooth? My biggest fear is that it's going to run like crap and I'm going to be wicked mad, I've been looking for a first responder simulator game for awhile and I feel this is about as close as possible - I've always been in love with the free roam sort of play that GTA offers. I was considering LA Noire but it seems too limited to the game script, if that makes sense.

All I can say is just follow everything the installer says, give windows 7 AMPLE amount of space (I didn't and now I have to worry about enough space for games which is a major pain). Any by all means, don't use a pirated version of Windows 7, use a genuine copy. I'd also pick up a decent Anti Virus for your new windows (I recommend Avast! Free Edition for people who want a silent/good anti virus) and that should really be it. In terms of modding the sky's the limit and it's up to you.

All I can say is just follow everything the installer says, give windows 7 AMPLE amount of space (I didn't and now I have to worry about enough space for games which is a major pain). Any by all means, don't use a pirated version of Windows 7, use a genuine copy. I'd also pick up a decent Anti Virus for your new windows (I recommend Avast! Free Edition for people who want a silent/good anti virus) and that should really be it. In terms of modding the sky's the limit and it's up to you.

So I really have nothing to worry about as far as specs on the computer?

So I really have nothing to worry about as far as specs on the computer?

Depends, what are your specs?

Uhmmmmmm.....

2011 Late (Purchased May this year)

4 Gigs of Ram

500 Gig HD

Dual Core Intel

that's all I know off the top of my head, it was the base model 13" was like 1300 bucks.

The 4 gig of ram is a little low.

It is what I run on. However, I have never experienced any issues with game on 4gig.

Keep in mind to try and keep as many default cars as possible.

Dont replace civilian cars with the ones found on sites or else you will probably get texture loss...

The 4 gig of ram is a little low.

It is what I run on. However, I have never experienced any issues with game on 4gig.

Keep in mind to try and keep as many default cars as possible.

Dont replace civilian cars with the ones found on sites or else you will probably get texture loss...

I'm sure it'll come a time that I'm going to want to change alot of vehicles, but I'm okay with running stock vehicles as long as I can add in the modified FR vehicles, such as a 2012/13 Charger & Challenger along with the Ford Interceptor both SUV & Car and the Tahoe's and Suburbans....

Those are what I'd love to change and make sick, can anyone give me some ways on how to add lightbars and such? Seen some videos on YouTube with a guy running a slicktop and some nice clean interior lighting... That's the kinda stuff I would want.

Well, I am not saying to not change vehicles, just dont change ones you will not be using as it is unnecessary and will cause issues on a computer like yours.

You cannot change lightbars unless you learn how to model and that is a whole nother story.

Just go to the downloads section and find Vehicle Models and look around.

Or you can PM me and I can help you with some cars I think youll like :D

Well, I am not saying to not change vehicles, just dont change ones you will not be using as it is unnecessary and will cause issues on a computer like yours.

You cannot change lightbars unless you learn how to model and that is a whole nother story.

Just go to the downloads section and find Vehicle Models and look around.

Or you can PM me and I can help you with some cars I think youll like :D

If that's the case...haha

2012 Dodge Charger Slick Top - Black/White

2012 Dodge Challenger Slick Top - Black/White

2012 Chevy Suburban K9 Slick Top - Black/White

2012 Chevy Tahoe K9 Slick Top - Black/White

2012 Ford Interceptor Utility & Sedan Slick Top - Black/White

2012 Ford Crown Vic Slick Top - Black/White

Haha that's my list that I'd love to run right now, can you have them all loaded at once or do you need to load the ones you want to use each time?

It's within your best interest not to use car mods at all as they'll make the frame rate go lower than it already will be. 13" Macbooks from that era do not have graphics cards at all. They use the CPU to do all the rendering, and GTA IV runs notoriously poor on even reasonably good hardware. Just run LCPD:FR stock for best results.

It's within your best interest not to use car mods at all as they'll make the frame rate go lower than it already will be. 13" Macbooks from that era do not have graphics cards at all. They use the CPU to do all the rendering, and GTA IV runs notoriously poor on even reasonably good hardware. Just run LCPD:FR stock for best results.

From that era? This was the latest MacBook you could buy at the beginning of this year... if you want I can call it an Early 2012 MacBook... I just bought it less then a year ago. Sure it's not the latest one they released...

So I loaded up the game for the first time, went to change the video settings - more specifically the resolution. It's 800x600 - I want it 1024x768 but it won't let me - also it tells me that my video is maxed out - 200/60.... Any idea how to change this?

Edited by tecster

Yes, from that era. The Macbook Pro 13's went largely unchanged for years until recently when the retina display came out. Since 2008 they were dual core, 4GB of RAM, mediocre hard drive space and no graphics chip, weighing in at about 5 pounds and approximately 7 hours of battery life at best. And no, you can't really "fix it" so to speak. I stated in my last post that you don't have a graphics card of any kind in there. The CPU does all of the drawing, and the game will be stealing whatever RAM is available to store textures and such since you have no dedicated graphics memory. That's why it's maxed out. You might be able to trick the game using a command line file, but you'll be telling it that you have resources that you really don't. And I'm not sure if you can force the game to use a certain resolution.

Yes, from that era. The Macbook Pro 13's went largely unchanged for years until recently when the retina display came out. Since 2008 they were dual core, 4GB of RAM, mediocre hard drive space and no graphics chip, weighing in at about 5 pounds and approximately 7 hours of battery life at best. And no, you can't really "fix it" so to speak. I stated in my last post that you don't have a graphics card of any kind in there. The CPU does all of the drawing, and the game will be stealing whatever RAM is available to store textures and such since you have no dedicated graphics memory. That's why it's maxed out. You might be able to trick the game using a command line file, but you'll be telling it that you have resources that you really don't. And I'm not sure if you can force the game to use a certain resolution.

I got the game forced into a proper resolution, now I'm just tweaking the graphics till its smooth...which is tough. It runs, but is a bit choppy while running around - I can only imagine what it'll be like when actually driving with lights and such...

Any suggestions?

Hey guys im new here.

I have installed GTA IV patch (1.0.7) and then installed LCPDFR 0.95 RC2, it works but now i cant read anything in game there are strange symbols... can you help me please?

now it fixed, i can "start" "options "graphics"... but cant see the words which is in the game in left/right corner which guides you what to do.... and also i cant see "loading..." in the right down corner, it shows symbols like : $#%%@ like that ....

tecster: Going back to priorities man. You might have to worry about this mod and GTA IV in general later. House, school or work will definitely be more important.

dato: This isn't your thread, don't jack his. Use the support section for any mod related issues.

tecster: Going back to priorities man. You might have to worry about this mod and GTA IV in general later. House, school or work will definitely be more important.

dato: This isn't your thread, don't jack his. Use the support section for any mod related issues.

Yeah, that's how its looking - house, then once settled I'll go get myself a toy with a tax return or something... the game doesn't seem like its going anywhere but up so I'll keep in touch and go from there :)