Senatov

Sick of reinstalling GTA IV? Try this...

If you are like me and have reinstalled GTA IV many times because of screwing it up with mods and stuff, you know how annoying it is to reinstall the game, and how long it takes. I have the DVD version of the game (oldschool) and it takes hours all because of putting some ENB file in the wrong folder or because the game crashes upon opening after a botched mod installation, or just because GTA IV doesn't like to work. I figured out a way to not have to do this again. Simply install the game with no mods, open up your GTA IV folder, and COPY (NOT MOVE) everything in the folder to a new folder as a backup. When ever the game is screwed up simply COPY & PASTE (NOT MOVE) everything back in to your GTA IV folder to restore it. Sure it will take up an extra 13-15 or so GB on your HD, but the ends justify the means when you can avoid 1-2 hours of reinstalling the game and simply restore it at the click of a button.

Good luck!

Edited by Senatov

I have three folders of modded games GTAIV LCPDFR, GTAIV IRON MAN MOD, and GTAIVonline. I just rename whichever modded one I want to "GTAIV" and off I go. A 7 second game switch

Have 5 backups, i made first 1 backup, but forgot to copy it again when i make it the offical folder, so i made 5, ;p

I just make back-ups of the files I'm modding. Takes up much less space.

For example, multiple versions of the vehicles.img in labeled folders so I know which one is which

I just make back-ups of the files I'm modding. Takes up much less space.

For example, multiple versions of the vehicles.img in labeled folders so I know which one is which

I used to do that, but this way is a catch-all and is easier, I guess it depends how much space you have.

I used to do that, but this way is a catch-all and is easier, I guess it depends how much space you have.

But if you look at what files a mod will replace before you install it, just make backup's of those files.

Like it was said above me, every mod advises you to make copies of original files before changing them. As for ENB's? I've got a .txt file saved that lists everything it adds to the folder.

Its common practice to backup things before you make changes just incase something goes horribly wrong, I'd much rather have a 2GB folder of multiple vehicles.img's than over 30GB of essentially the same game files.

I guess its personal preference however :smile: