Firefighter 5663

Huge FPS Drop On Decent/Good Computer

When playing GTA IV on my fairly new computer with no mods or nothing, a fresh game, It goes into kinda like slow motion for a few seconds and has a huge FPS drop from 60 to 11 then back to 60 FPS. I have tried everything, reinstalling it, updating graphics card drivers,updated all drivers, tried command lines, tried lowering all settings, tried defrag system, updated to patch 1.0.7.0,  then downgraded to patch 1.0.4.0 but it didn't work, checked my temperatures and they were good, have no game mods, tried game boosters, tried disabling windows event logger, but nothing has worked. Here is a video of what it looks like kinda (not my video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNYPwac9jWM

Specs:

AMD HD 7850 2GB GDDR5
8192 MB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium
64-Bit
AMD FX™-4170 Quad-Core Processor (4CPUs) ~4.2GHz
PSU: 600W

Your in the city, that tends to happen..well..to me it does.

It happens everywhere and for me it happens every like 15 seconds and has a huge FPS drop from 60 FPS to 11 FPS for about 3 seconds then 60 FPS, any help?

It happens everywhere and for me it happens every like 15 seconds and has a huge FPS drop from 60 FPS to 11 FPS for about 3 seconds then 60 FPS, any help?

I don't sorry :( Im not a computer wiz lol.

Alright this could be caused by many different things.. But you said you did everything I was going to list so I will skip to some other things that could cause this.

You could have a virus (which is likely) I would recommend running a virus scan. If there is no virus then try to disable your anti virus sometimes that can conflict with the game. Really doesn't seem like a Hardware problem because you wouldn't be skipping FPS like that...

So here is a list of things to try

• Scan for virus's
  • Turn anti virus off (after you scan and find no virus)
  • If you are one of those guys who keep there computer on 24/7 try turning it off for about 30 minutes then turn it back on.
  • Make sure you run the game as the administrator  

Alright this could be caused by many different things.. But you said you did everything I was going to list so I will skip to some other things that could cause this.

You could have a virus (which is likely) I would recommend running a virus scan. If there is no virus then try to disable your anti virus sometimes that can conflict with the game. Really doesn't seem like a Hardware problem because you wouldn't be skipping FPS like that...

• Scan for virus's
  • If you are one of those guys who keep there computer on 24/7 try turning it off for about 30 minutes then turn it back on.

None of those things would cause sporadic frame drop. Viruses wouldn't just pop up then go away. If he had a virus it would cause constant computer issues. Anti virus software shouldn't conflict with the game either. 

As for turning the computer off, that may actually be a good idea. If you're like me and you put the computer to sleep/hibernate instead of shutting it down then you could have a shitload of system processes running which may mess you up a bit. I suggest to turn it off (not restart) then turn it back on. This way you're sure that all system processes have been killed.

And for the last suggestions, I'm not exactly sure if that would work or not. It may, may not.

The thing that must be understood is that GTA IV is a crappy port to PC. It doesn't work well at all, even on beast computers. That's just the things you'll need to put up with when playing this. 

• Scan for virus's

Ive tried that before and it still didn't work and I always shut my computer down when not using

None of those things would cause sporadic frame drop. Viruses wouldn't just pop up then go away. If he had a virus it would cause constant computer issues. Anti virus software shouldn't conflict with the game either. 

As for turning the computer off, that may actually be a good idea. If you're like me and you put the computer to sleep/hibernate instead of shutting it down then you could have a shitload of system processes running which may mess you up a bit. I suggest to turn it off (not restart) then turn it back on. This way you're sure that all system processes have been killed.

And for the last suggestions, I'm not exactly sure if that would work or not. It may, may not.

The thing that must be understood is that GTA IV is a crappy port to PC. It doesn't work well at all, even on beast computers. That's just the things you'll need to put up with when playing this. 

I always shut my computer down when not using it.

Sounds like you have a background process running (or several running) that is causing the sporadic FPS.  Go into process tab in your task manager and see if anything is running that shouldn't be.  I kill everything that does not need to be running (windows update, MDM, Adobe Flash Player Update, AMD FUEL, IMF Service, etc...).  If you're not sure what you're looking at, you can find software that will eliminate unneeded processes (Advanced System Care 6 is pretty good). 

Good luck!

DrDetroit

Edited by drdetroit

ahhh yes it can... But you if you are one of those people who keep there computer on 24/7 you should turn it off atleast once a week for about 30 minutes. Also I know this stuff as I work at a computer company in the summer we run into all kinds of stuff..... But a virus can interfere with the game play and cause the FPS to be weird....

look on youtube for lag spikes or stuttering problems suggestions for gta iv and try them thats what i did to minimize it when i had that problem theres a bunch of useful info out there or try commandlines