TakeYaBackToStation4BumVio

Everything there is to know about AWC

Posted (edited)

Since the v1604  patch, the import and compression limits for all AWCs inside of Resident.rpf increased. This is because R* moved some LSUR songs from online to singleplayer. 

Check it out:

image.png.78a4e14043e4ea08f1475ecd373e12be.png                       image.png

OLD                                                                                                       NEW

You'll notice vehicles.awc isn't included in the first screenshot, and that's the greatest news here. Vehicles.AWC, on compression can now be imported to hold 16.132mb!

So, the EXACT size of your vehicles.awc can now be:

image.png.de68b784614abdc9d1600f3ae6f4488f.png

This is brilliant, but be warned... 1kb over and you will have muted vehicle sounds. I tested this 😛

image.png.ec263862dd5a88d1eafabf788e9e5efb.png

Happy modding!

More proof I spent ages checking new limit:

image.png

Edited by TakeYaBackToStation4BumVio

yo yo yo yo It's 3:43am Christmas day yeah yeah yeah niiiice Christmas!! Whoo-oo Christ! Christ Mass!

http://i.imgur.com/I0B5P1Y.png

This topic has been moved to the appropriate forum. Please post in the correct location in the future.

52 minutes ago, TakeYaBackToStation4BumVio said:

Since the v1604  patch, the import and compression limits for all AWCs inside of Resident.rpf increased. This is because R* moved some LSUR songs from online to singleplayer. 

Check it out:

image.png.12c6a447b436c51ba1ca35815c9d50c0.png                              image.png.50fe77379d80d7ddd3048fc872036cd4.png

OLD                                                  NEW

You'll notice vehicles.awc isn't included in the first screenshot, and that's the greatest news here. Vehicles.AWC, on compression can now be imported to hold 16.132mb!

What was the limit at before?

Wish there was a way of removing this limit altogether. Is it hardcoded somewhere? Maybe the OpenIV team can remove it?

57 minutes ago, TheHC09 said:

Wish there was a way of removing this limit altogether. Is it hardcoded somewhere? Maybe the OpenIV team can remove it?

It isn't OpenIV, it's the original .AWC size mirrored.

When an update comes out that makes the base resident.rpf take more, the mods folder version can do exactly the same. A high level engine or file format code is what checks to see for data duplication between the mods/ folder version and the one inside of x64. If Rockstar released an update tomorrow where they added audio files called feel free to delete me.wav, and those files made vehicles.awc 16.5 megs, then the max size of the data volume is echoed and checked when starting the game.

In short, OpenIV is an archive viewer, and does not change the compression of .awcs.

yo yo yo yo It's 3:43am Christmas day yeah yeah yeah niiiice Christmas!! Whoo-oo Christ! Christ Mass!

21 hours ago, TheHC09 said:

The only way that I know of to bypass the limit is to dynamically replace audio when it is being loaded from disk. Audio in the game is generally not cached very well, so even ambient speeches almost always hit the disk. Even then you have to make sure you load a big/long AWC as merely replacing the audio buffer with a longer audio will not work and the game will stop after the original runtime. Since you are only replacing it for each playback, you could possibly have an infinite (well, almost) amount of very long audio (as long as the ones they replace). It is a little messy, but it generally works. From what I remember, they mostly use ADPCM and PCM with their custom variant of XXTEA encryption.

Please do not PM me unless really necessary (knowing you helps). If you think you need my attention in a topic, tag me.

1 hour ago, LMS said:

The only way that I know of to bypass the limit is to dynamically replace audio when it is being loaded from disk. Audio in the game is generally not cached very well, so even ambient speeches almost always hit the disk. Even then you have to make sure you load a big/long AWC as merely replacing the audio buffer with a longer audio will not work and the game will stop after the original runtime. Since you are only replacing it for each playback, you could possibly have an infinite (well, almost) amount of very long audio (as long as the ones they replace). It is a little messy, but it generally works. From what I remember, they mostly use ADPCM and PCM with their custom variant of XXTEA encryption.

In that case and for our use, sirens, it would be easier to a) hound Lt.cain to update or open source ELS or b) Use that god awful non-DSP using Siren Mastery mod. Which did I mention is terrible because it cuts off the siren sound the moment you let go of the button or toggle the siren. Makes any sound shit. DSP adds tiny tiny reverb in base GTA game and this guy couldn't do it do a 2016 mod? madness

11 hours ago, Gary Connor said:

So, that means the size of my vehicles.awc file can't exceed 16,132KB? What a troublesome.😑

Yes, but better than 15.7

Some questions! 

I am trying to come up with a workaround for the file size limitation.

Option 1: find the audio definitions file (I believe it might be the .ymt files within the occlusion.rpf of DLC's). I cannot find it within the original game file structure.

Those .ymt files are PSO files and not editable at this time.

If I could edit the audio definition files, I could create my own .awc for a vehicle, and set a new path to look for various files (the same way that R* DLC vehicles are given audio.)

I see OpenIV is making progress with decrypting some of the PSO files. Has anyone worked on that? It may also be in the .rel files.

Option 2: Spread out large files inside new vehicles.awc within new resident.rpf's. It would look something like this:

My_DLC_1 has a resident.rpf with a  vehicles.awc. Inside is only one newly modified audio file. 

My_DLC_2 has a resident.rpf with a  vehicles.awc. Inside is only one newly modified audio file. And so on, and so on.

The sum of all the newly modified audio files combined in one resident.rpf would exceed the limit, but would the game notice?

I am pretty sure Option 2 will not work. I don't think the .awc files are similar to .rpf's insofar as being able to have the game load same-name files in order which happen to be present in multiple DLC's (like how texture files for vehicles can be different in different DLC's, it just matters the order that the DLC has in the setup2.xml.)

Option 3: Set GTAV to 'look' for the resident.rpf file outside the game directory.

In the same way you can set a path in a content.xml for a DLC, you can actually set paths outside of the game structure. This scares me so I only tested it and found it worked once. I do not think this is a good idea for reasons which if not obvious, please do not try.

As there's no setup.xml which points to the resident.rpf which I am aware of, I do not really know. 

Has anyone seen a file (likely a .meta or .ytp or .xml) which says something like 'files to enable: ... x64/audio/sfx/resident.rpf...'

I personally think option 1 is the one worth exploring. Anyone with knowledge of PSO files, reading .rel files, or any audio definitions files?