Hullian111

Start Featuring Images Again?

I've already mentioned this with cpast over on Discord, and he has acknowledged that the 'featured' section of the gallery is not thought about much. As such, I would just like to remind the admins that it does, in fact, exist, but it does need a good update or two. There are mostly IV screenshots from around about 2013-2015 that are still featured there, with only one or two V screens featured, and I know that removing their featured status may not prove popular with some - is there a way to put a 'previously featured' badge on some mods? - but I think this really should change with the amount of V mods and artistic screenshots that are supplementing them.

So in short, would updating featured be possible, like on a monthly rota, so we won't have to look at the same old IV pics anymore? Not saying that they aren't good anymore, they're just a bit...dated.

2 hours ago, Hullian111 said:

I've already mentioned this with cpast over on Discord, and he has acknowledged that the 'featured' section of the gallery is not thought about much. As such, I would just like to remind the admins that it does, in fact, exist, but it does need a good update or two. There are mostly IV screenshots from around about 2013-2015 that are still featured there, with only one or two V screens featured, and I know that removing their featured status may not prove popular with some - is there a way to put a 'previously featured' badge on some mods? - but I think this really should change with the amount of V mods and artistic screenshots that are supplementing them.

So in short, would updating featured be possible, like on a monthly rota, so we won't have to look at the same old IV pics anymore? Not saying that they aren't good anymore, they're just a bit...dated.

I do agree, it does get old seeing the exact same images day in and day out.  (Explains why we're all fed up with Will.  :teehee:)

Featured images has generally been a Content Team task, and with our lack of Content Team, featured images has just been forgotten.    I'll be honest, I don't think featured images is an important thing.  Yeah, it's nice to show off really cool screenshots, but it's so difficult to maintain with just how many images are uploaded per day.  Rather than trying to maintain it, I think the better options are to either a) Stick with the images we currently have and do nothing.  b) Get rid of featured images.  c)  Slowly change pictures to ones that staff unanimously agree are worth featuring.  Though, the latter would be a bit too much, 'cause it's still a lot of work just for one section.

Another possible alternative to 'featured images' is 'previews' /  'showcase', which is random screenshots that serve one purpose, show off LSPDFR in action.  This might be the better option because we won't need to change the images at all or try and worry about "is this feature worthy?"

I know one issue is there isn't any filter to see all featured images, so just removing old features is not an easy task. 

Definitely! The next version of our forum software, IPS 4.3, is showing great improvements for the Gallery. It's long needed as I feel the Gallery is probably one of most important features on our site.

https://invisioncommunity.com/news/product-updates/43-modernizing-our-gallery-r1067/

So yes, we're hoping we can expand the Gallery even more using the changes there as a base. But it's probably going to be a month or so before these changes are ready.