Sign in to follow this  
Harper

zModeler Issues

Hey guys, I'm at the end of my tether with my car conversion, I'm a newcomer to modeling / converting.

I've done numerous research but cannot find a answer to my problem, when exporting my .z3d project as a .wft I get:

"Error collecting export data.file:GTAIVExport.cpp line:94

- "Duplicate Instances of part "chassis" found.file:GTAIVExport.cpp line:369"

Upon attempting to import my model into SparkIV, the program throws up this error:

"Unable to read beyond the end of the stream"

If I click continue, the .wft has a size of 0 Bytes and if spawned in game it fails to spawn and freezes my SNT.

Here's what I've got in my Hierarchy:

j0VwL.png

ymLBx.png

I would appreciate any information or guidance that will help me to finally finishing this convert.

You have two things with the same name,"Chassis".Find it...you're good to go.Happened to me sometime ago,as well.Exports with 0 MB wft.I know.Open the hierarchy and rename the duplicate instances.The error shown is valid.

EDIT: Why can't I see those instances in the image? Weird :confused:

Edited by Dhruv

I've renamed "Chassis_L0" back to "Chassis_dummy" and changed "chassis_hi" to "chassis_L0"

now I'm getting the same error, but for "RBumper"

EDIT: fixed that one, now its moved on to multiple instances of "Default" which I can't seem to find.

Double Edit: Found the issue, its the collision files, renaming them. Will update on progress

Triple Edit: Fixed it, not getting anymore "duplicate instances" errors, just "Missing Shaders" which is because I haven't mapped any textures yet. Thanks for your help so far

Edited by Harper

No problem.

When you mentioned the collision files,it just flashed in my mind that I,too,had those errors in collision ones.I could've told/warned you,but I forgot lol.

Still seems to be crashing my game when I attempt to spawn it.

After solving the collision file issues it imported perfectly with SparkIV.

I used Corleone's advice and mapped the whole vehicle to paintjob.png and put it into the taxi.wtd with OpenIV (and removed all default taxi textures)

I'm at a loss as what to to.

Ah! Then its even harder to know whats going on.Especially in ZM cases,where remote diagnosing can be a pain in the ass.I recommend you wait for some pro modder like Corleone,Cj24,EVI or KevinDV to show up.I,myself,am a noob at these things.

Thanks For the help guys i thought i was the only one with that problem

Wait why would you delete the taxi orignal taxi.wtd just add paintjob.png in openIV Maybe that why your getting that error

Edited by Deputy.Donuts

Thanks For the help guys i thought i was the only one with that problem

Wait why would you delete the taxi orignal taxi.wtd just add paintjob.png in openIV Maybe that why your getting that error

Because it'd cause the original taxi textures to be placed incorrectly, never the less I'll try your suggestion. As soon as I can spawn the car in game without the crashing I can work on a livery for it.

The hierarchy is really messy, you should clean that up so it will be easier for you in the future. The car is not even converted. Your using dummy's from GTA SA and the objects are not named for GTA IV. Everything in that list needs to be named a certain way. You have too many errors so you need to open a default model and rename/place all those objects exactly alike. .WFT, chassis and bodyshell are all dummy's that must be place in the center of your project. You can get these dummy's from an original or unlocked model.

I've renamed "Chassis_L0" back to "Chassis_dummy" and changed "chassis_hi" to "chassis_L0"

Your problem was there is a copy of that object. You can have duplicate copies of any COL file with the same name. Also, only the vehicle needs to have the suffix .WFT. It is unnecessary to have your lightbar named that.

Edited by EVI

Thanks for the heads up EVI, I'll work on it straight away

EDIT: Followed your advice EVI, I imported the stock police.wft and looked at the hierachy for it, I renamed most of the things in the project the best I could to match the police.wft, for instance, in police.wft the file was called "door_fr" which I named the same in my project.

I think I'm on the right track as I can now spawn the car ingame with no crashing issues although I did have this happen:

iz1Ml.jpg

I was laughing for a while after this however as the handling was like I was being held up by a piece of string and floated around with the wind.

What move should I make next?

Edited by Harper

^Ow Sh!t lol hahah!!

You forgot to export the textures,Harp? And the wheels too lol.

Thats actually a default DXT5 texture called "paintjob.png" which is just temp so I could see the car ingame.

The wheels should of exported along with the model itself but failed for some reason

Your conversion is incorrect.

I'd suggest you follow EVI and also take a look at a generic model's hiarchy list. Perhaps a better way to convert the car for a beginner would be to use all the dummies in a generic model, attach the parts to one another that need to be attached and rename them to what their names are in the generic model's hiarchy, delete all of the generic car's parts and keep all the dummies and collisions ([COL]) and replace then with your parts.

From there once you have replaced them and correctly scaled all the collision files according to your car you can move on to the next step... LODs, "LOD" stands for "Level of Detail" and is used by the game to save video memory at certain distances. If you walk away from the car (depending on your graphics settings) you will be able to see the quality of the car deteriorates the further away you get from the vehicle, use the generic models as examples.

To set up a LOD you will have to name your parts as follows, I will use chassis as a example:

-yourvehiclename.wft

-Chassis

-Chassis_L0

-Chassis_L1

-Chassis_L2

There you will see 3 LODs, L0 being the best quality, L1 medium and L2 the minimal, however most modders just make a duplicate of their L0 and rename it to L1 but this tends to result in higher poly.

Your LODs always go within your primary dummy such as "indicator_rr" for example, it will the be like this in your hiarchy:

-yourvehiclename.wft

-Chassis

--Chassis_L0

--Chassis_L1

--Chassis_L2

-indicator_rr

--indicator_rr_L0

--indicator_rr_L1

--indicator_rr_L2

Again you should note the names used, in this case "indicator_rr" stands for indicator right rear meaning it is the right hand side rear's indicator and so forth, the left hand rear indicator would be named "indicator_lr" (indicator left rear), the front left would be "indicator_lf" and right would be "indictor_rf". Your hiarchy would now look like this so far:

-yourvehiclename.wft

-Chassis

-Chassis_L0

-Chassis_L1

-Chassis_L2

-indicator_rr

--indicator_rr_L0

--indicator_rr_L1

--indicator_rr_L2

-indicator_lr

--indicator_lr_L0

--indicator_lr_L1

--indicator_lr_L2

-indicator_lf

-indicator_lf_L0

-indicator_lf_L1

-indicator_lf_L2

-indicator_rf

--indicator_rf_L0

--indicator_rf_L1

--indicator_rf_L2

This should give you a basic idea on how to do the conversion with LODs and dummies, you should use the generic models to your advantage.

Edited by KevinDV

Thanks for the advice Kevin.

I decided to just try modifying the default cars at first, just so I could get to grips with modeling / converting.

I imported the Vapid Police Cruiser and removed all police features in an attempt to make a civilian version.

Once again, the wheels haven't exported correctly.

KRh0n.jpg

There's no textures on it yet as I haven't mapped them yet.

Is there a reason for the wheels not exporting correctly? they are there in the hierarchy and the name was not changed at all

Did you import and export as sliced model? That always has to be ticked.

Nope.

Sorry for all the questions and stuff guys, I'm a complete newcomer to modelling but it is something I would really like to get into.

When you export a model your preferable texture setting must be on DDS, sliced model and collisions ticked.

When you import a model you should import as PNG with sliced model and collisions ticked. Be sure to have all your needed textures as .PNG format within your textures editor.

While importing you should've ticked all the boxes,man.

Settle down now, I'm sure Harper already knows how to 'tick all the boxes' on his own.

Dick-In-A-Box-Warehouse-One-Crop.jpg

Edited by EVI

Once again guys, I really appreciate the help.

Using what you've all told me today, I've managed to complete my first car modification.

All I've gotta do is map a base colour to the bodywork and interior and create a handling line for it (as soon as it leans it'll spazz out until I stop moving)

a5vLB.jpg

QFwJY.jpg

EDIT: Turns out the Vapid Cruiser doesn't have a interior area in the Hierarchy, therefore I'm not sure how I'm going to give it a texture inside.

Also, I couldn't find anything in vehshare.wtd so I'll ask here, what file do I map to the body so that the car will spawn in random colours?

Edited by Harper