RexCramer

Vehicle Modeling?

I was considering getting a program such as zmodeler to try some modeling for myself

I was simply curious on getting some input as to whether or not trying modeling is worth it, what I mean by that is, is it straightforward & relatively easy to understand? Or is it a headache trying to figure out how to work it?

My only other question is which version of zmodeler, or another program, would be the best for gta 4 modding (because that's probably all I'll use it for) 

Once you get the hand of it it's fairly easy. My suggestion is Zmodeler 2.2.4 as this seems to be fairly stable.

Starting off it's confusing as hell. Once you've learnt the tools and what they do, it gets a bit easier but it's certainly not a walk in the park. Just keep trying and trying and eventually you'll get the hang of everything, don't expect to learn everything in a few hours though. 

Zmodeler 2 isn't a very good program, it's riddled with bugs and constantly crashes, however it's the only program that can export in GTA's format so you will need it for conversions. Go for the latest one, Zmodeler v2.2.6.

I'd say buy it but like SharpCommand said it's definitely  not a walk in the park it took me a good year and a half to even get a model into the game 

Hah it won't take you a year and a half to learn how to use Zmodeler, but it'll take you weeks instead. The learning curve is somewhat similar to that of Photoshop. It's just moving stuff around, you just gonna know which tools to use. I can't help you much here, so remember that Google is your friend.

I didn't feel this was worth starting a new thread over, but does anyone know why when I attempt to use EVI's Federal Signal Legend, it wont show up as a file I am able to place into Zmodeler

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I've already tried other lightbars, and they work fine, but for some reason I cannot select the federal signal legend to import it, it simply doesn't show up

From my experience, modeling (especially in Zmodeler) is frustrating at the start, but it gets better as you learn how to work with things.

If you're thinking of scratch-modeling GTA IV objects, such as vehicles, they need a lot of patience and time; however, the end result is completely worth it.

My suggestion is to start off with a simple car conversion or modification (use vanilla cars in order to get the hang of things). :)