Crickethill

GTA IV ENB and technical issues

Hey there guys,

well, I have some issues with GTA IV. I know it isn't a great port for PC and therefore has it's technical flaws, but I wanted to ask you guys if you have any tips for me how to increase my performance in GTA IV and fix some of the issues I am experiencing.

That leads us to said issues, so what are my problems?

First of all my PC specs:

Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 280X

Processor: AMD FX6100 @ 3,3 GHz

8 GB RAM

1 TB SATA Harddrive

I guess that's all that's needed. So I do have a pretty good graphics card and I think the rest of my computer setup is pretty OK too. I am playing GTA IV with Chikamru ENB 1.1 and there we go. It seems like whenever I install an ENB I drop from 60 FPS to 20 FPS and lower and a drop of 40 FPS with my hardware seems a little strange because I can't even install car packs (not even light ones) because when I do I get texture losses everywhere. I managed to reduce the texture loss (I am getting from a few police cars and an ambulance) with the LAA and Razer Game Booster. Now I'd like to record some gameplay videos but you can imagine that's not going to be possible when I'm playing with 20 FPS without Fraps recording. So what the heck is wrong with my GTA IV? Is it really my processor that is too weak for the game? Do I have too many mods? Is the ENB unsuitable for my system?

Another issue I have is when I try to reduce my game settings. Whenever I set everything to medium GTA IV won't start and tells me I don't have enough VRAM to run the game ... well, I only got 3GB of VRAM so yeah GTA, that might be the problem ... not. Is there any way to fix this?

God I really hope u guys can help me out because I really would prefer playing GTA IV with an ENB, and I think my PC should be strong enough to handle it. Otherwise tell me it isn't.

Thanks

Yeah like I said it seems like every ENB causes a huge performance loss. Well I may try iCEnhancer to test if that works better for me, thanks :)

Yeah like I said it seems like every ENB causes a huge performance loss. Well I may try iCEnhancer to test if that works better for me, thanks :)

Good Luck, And post your results here

Good Luck, And post your results here

I reinstalled my GTA IV and did a Benchmark Test, without ENB GTA IV told me I had an average 60 FPS, I also set everything to GTA IV's adviced settings now it is running pretty smoothly, haven't tested it with an ENB yet, but that shouldn't cost too much FPS. Seems like I had to push the settings higher to achieve better usage of my GPU. Strange, higher settings equal better performance ... well I guess GTA IV is just a really bad PC port.

I also heard that Reality IV, a tyc mod, is good and it rarely lowers fps! Try it out if you got the time. 

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/realityiv-20-f25401

Thanks, I'll check that out, it does look pretty cool :)

I reinstalled my GTA IV and did a Benchmark Test, without ENB GTA IV told me I had an average 60 FPS, I also set everything to GTA IV's adviced settings now it is running pretty smoothly, haven't tested it with an ENB yet, but that shouldn't cost too much FPS. Seems like I had to push the settings higher to achieve better usage of my GPU. Strange, higher settings equal better performance ... well I guess GTA IV is just a really bad PC port.

Thanks, I'll check that out, it does look pretty cool :)

You might want to have an Low end ENB installed.

You might want to have an Low end ENB installed.

That's the strange thing, my system runs GTA IV better with a high end ENB. I guess it makes GTA use my GPU better and therefore increases my overall performance

That's the strange thing, my system runs GTA IV better with a high end ENB. I guess it makes GTA use my GPU better and therefore increases my overall performance

Yeah, I run my game very high with ENB Ice 2.1, I don't have any problems "yet"