BROOKLYNBOY2497

How can I get my GTA 4 to stop skipping/lagging?

Hello. I recently installed a new car mod. I installed the car mod for the model only, so I replaced the skins in the .wtd with my own and I took away the window decals. After I started the game, it worked fine, but it keeps lagging/skipping a lot. What can I do to make it run smoothly and work fast and like it should?

I have......

-Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit

-Processor: Intel® Core i7-3632QM CPU @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz

-Hard Drive: 1TB (equal to 1024 GB)

-RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 GB usable)

-Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

I also have a NVIDIA GEFORCE graphics card.

Let me know any other information you need to know to help in the best way you can.

Thanks!

One more thing:

The car mod I installed came with ELSv4 (it may or may not have been made to work for v4 only-idk) and I have ELSv7.

(Incase any of this helps)

Edited by BROOKLYNBOY2497

What are your graphics on? If they are on on high, maybe turn them down to medium etc,

That must be an old car if it came with ELS v4 but if it says it is ELS v6 enabled it should work with ELS v7.

Edited by Foward

What are your graphics on? If they are on on high, maybe turn them down to medium etc,

They are on all medium except for texture which is on high (I changed texture quality from medium to high but either way it made no difference) and night shadows are off. Anisotropic filtering is on x16 but it isn't making a difference whether or not it's anything else.

Well I did a tiny bit of research and saw some person had the same graphics card with all the settings as:

Video Mode- 1280x720

Texture Quality- High

Reflection Resolution- High

Water Quality- High

Shadow Quality- Off

Texture Filter Quality- Anisotrophic x2

View Distance- 25

Detail Distance-31

Vehicle Density- N/A

There are certain things you don't need very high like water quality and reflection resolution.

FPS>Quality!

This kid got 32.19 FPS so you should be running 40+ FPS with everything at medium.

Do you have any Icehancers or ENBs? Those kill FPS.

Edited by Foward

Well I did a tiny bit of research and saw some person had the same graphics card with all the settings as:

Video Mode- 1280x720

Texture Quality- High

Reflection Resolution- High

Water Quality- High

Shadow Quality- Off

Texture Filter Quality- Anisotrophic x2

View Distance- 25

Detail Distance-31

Vehicle Density- N/A

There are certain things you don't need very high like water quality and reflection resolution.

FPS>Quality!

This kid got 32.19 FPS so you should be running 40+ FPS with everything at medium.

Do you have any Icehancers or ENBs? Those kill FPS.

I don't have any Icehancers or ENBs. I will try these settings but with reflection resolution and water quality on medium. What is "Video Mode"/how does it affect the game ?

Like the screen size. Mines on 1920x1080 because that is the size of my screen. Also try to see if your driver is up to date with everything. 

When you go back in game, put the settings you want and run the benchmark and tell me the results.

Like the screen size. Mines on 1920x1080 because that is the size of my screen. Also try to see if your driver is up to date with everything. 

When you go back in game, put the settings you want and run the benchmark and tell me the results.

This is probably a dumb question, but: What do you mean by "run the benchmark"?

This is probably a dumb question, but: What do you mean by "run the benchmark"?

I checked and it said my "GeForce Driver is up-to-date" ......

Okay when you are in game under Graphics when you press esc. and where you go to change all your graphics, under all that it should say benchmark. Click on that and it will run through some gameplay so let it do its magic and then it will give you results on what your fps is at and all that good stuff. Write down what you get on the benchmark and then send me them on this post.

Also why would it say GeForce driver is up to date when you a intel graphics card? I've seen kids have this problem but I forgot what they did to fix it. Hopefully one of the moderators sees this post because I think one of them knows how to fix it but for now, run that benchmark.

Okay when you are in game under Graphics when you press esc. and where you go to change all your graphics, under all that it should say benchmark. Click on that and it will run through some gameplay so let it do its magic and then it will give you results on what your fps is at and all that good stuff. Write down what you get on the benchmark and then send me them on this post.

Also why would it say GeForce driver is up to date when you a intel graphics card? I've seen kids have this problem but I forgot what they did to fix it. Hopefully one of the moderators sees this post because I think one of them knows how to fix it but for now, run that benchmark.

yeah, I went to my GeForce program instead. I went to update driver for intel and there was an update. I just updated it so my driver is up to date. It's just that I went to the wrong program, I don't have that "problem" that you said you've seen kids have, then right?

I will do the benchmark thing now and let you know.....

I ran the benchmark with those settings you showed me, but with 1600x900 video mode. Here are my results/statistics:

Average FPS: 22.74

CPU usage: 53%

System Memory Usage: 42%

Video Memory Usage: 34%

It started a new game when the game started again. When I got up to the part in the beginning when it asks me to go meet roman, I quit the game and right after I quit it crashed and said GTA 4 stopped working...idk why it did that........

I just restarted it after it "stopped working" and I have to say that it has never been this fast. Very good results! I am not marking this a solved yet, though, because I just want to know what you meant by the "problem" kids have before. I didn't do a general update driver check, I thought by driver you meant my GeForce, so I went directly to my "GeForce Experience" program and looked around until I saw download or update driver (something like that) link. After I saw this post you made I went back to my intel and went looking around and I found an update driver link. (this is what I assume you were talking about when you said "make sure your driver is up-to-date) I just want to make sure I don't have any problem, I just get really paranoid when it comes to that stuff.

I didn't mean problem but some kids would have a different graphics cards then what it comes up on the benchmark.

So it came out good?

I didn't mean problem but some kids would have a different graphics cards then what it comes up on the benchmark.

So it came out good?

Oh, okay. On the benchmark it had/showed my "Intel® HD Graphics 4000". I just get confused sometimes as to what graphics card I actually have, the NVIDIA GForce or the intel hd graphics 4000. Maybe the GeForce is my actual graphics card and my intel hd graphics 4000 is the graphics processor? Idk.......

Otherwise......

Yes it came out great! Thanks for the help! You saw my benchmark results above, right?

Yes

Ok. I will now. I'll tell you the results.

Yea but make a new one, that one was old.

Here are my results:

Average FPS: 41.15

CPU usage: 72%

System memory usage: 43%

Video Memory usage: 34%

It says on the benchmark my "Video Adapter" is the Intel HD Graphics 4000 btw.......

Okay well I'm glad your game is working good now. If you need anything else, just shoot me over a PM and I will try to help with anything I can.

Okay well I'm glad your game is working good now. If you need anything else, just shoot me over a PM and I will try to help with anything I can.

Okay! Thanks for your help and I will!