LightningGamer

Smoothing Police Lettering

I am currently making a police car skin for GTAV and I am wondering how to make the police lettering smooth around the edges. When you look in game it looks like a round P rather than you seeing pixels. 

Either your text will have to be higher quality or the template itself will have to be a higher resolution when you're working on it and exporting it. What template are you using currently, and what resolution is it at? What font are you using? Also, what program are you making your livery in?

3 hours ago, LightningGamer said:

@theninja35 I am currently using a 2016 Dodge Charger template size 2048x2048. I am using font Raider Crusader Straight and I am using paint.net

Do other shapes on the car also appear pixelated around the edges, or is it just the text? Are you scaling the text with the font size tool or are you making it a "shape" and then scaling it up? The template is high quality enough that these issues shouldn't be happening, but I don't know what the cause could be. Also, I use Photoshop instead, so I don't quite know how Paint.net works, but hopefully we can solve this and if not, then hopefully someone else who uses Paint.net will be able to help.

3 hours ago, LightningGamer said:

@theninja35 I fixed the problem but had to change it to 8000x8000 is that a good size?

That's 8K, which could become a struggle for the computer if there are multiple instances of that texture loaded in the game at once. Most livery designers release their liveries in 4K or 2K (4096x4096 and 2048x2048 respectively). I guess if it works it works, but I feel like there has to be something else that you can do. What if you make the livery in 8K, then when you export it export it down to 4K or 2K? Will it still appear pixelated?

16 hours ago, theninja35 said:

That's 8K, which could become a struggle for the computer if there are multiple instances of that texture loaded in the game at once. Most livery designers release their liveries in 4K or 2K (4096x4096 and 2048x2048 respectively). I guess if it works it works, but I feel like there has to be something else that you can do. What if you make the livery in 8K, then when you export it export it down to 4K or 2K? Will it still appear pixelated?

When changing the size to 4K it works fine

On 9/1/2018 at 6:38 AM, LightningGamer said:

@theninja35 I am currently using a 2016 Dodge Charger template size 2048x2048. I am using font Raider Crusader Straight and I am using paint.net

On 9/1/2018 at 10:19 AM, theninja35 said:

Do other shapes on the car also appear pixelated around the edges, or is it just the text? Are you scaling the text with the font size tool or are you making it a "shape" and then scaling it up? The template is high quality enough that these issues shouldn't be happening, but I don't know what the cause could be. Also, I use Photoshop instead, so I don't quite know how Paint.net works, but hopefully we can solve this and if not, then hopefully someone else who uses Paint.net will be able to help.

I use paint.net and haven't run into any issues with text appearing pixelated, even on a 2K template. Did you import the font you are using into paint.net? I don't have 'Raider Crusader Straight' as an option, so if it came from an add on pack, that might be the issue.