johnclark1102

ELS Extra 9 Issue

I'm working on my first car release and I've reached an issue I can't figure out how to fix. I'm hoping someone with more experience working with ELS can help me sort this out.

I've got a Whelen Avenger in the rear window mapped to flash amber on both lights. I currently have it mapped as Extras 7 and 9 with ELS configured to treat it as an "LED" so that the flash patterns use Extras 7 and 9 like I have it configured.

However, when I go in game, Extra 7 (the left light) flashes correctly, but Extra 9 (the right light) doesn't. Extra 9 looks like it's really dim, or tinted. I've included a video below to help explain what I'm seeing, as well as a picture of my hierarchy.

At first I thought it was just that I had the extra positioned incorrectly and it was actually inside the Avenger itself, which is why I couldn't see it flashing, but after playing with it for a few hours and trying everything that I can think of, it appears to be in the right place, UV mapped correctly, with the correct material applied.

Here's the really confusing part for me. If I go into the hierarchy and simply rename Extra 9 to Extra 8, the light flashes correctly. If I rename it back to Extra 9, it flashes dim again like in the video. The fact that simply renaming it to Extra 8 fixes the problem tells me that the problem lies with it being named Extra 9, I just don't understand why or what to do about it.

Here is a screen shot of my hierarchy showing the Avenger (misc_r) and Extras 7 and 9:

Extra9_zpsa0d1760e.png

Here is a short video showing the ELS lights turned on. The problem lies with Extra 9 (the right amber light on the Avenger):

I'm working on my first car release and I've reached an issue I can't figure out how to fix. I'm hoping someone with more experience working with ELS can help me sort this out.

I've got a Whelen Avenger in the rear window mapped to flash amber on both lights. I currently have it mapped as Extras 7 and 9 with ELS configured to treat it as an "LED" so that the flash patterns use Extras 7 and 9 like I have it configured.

However, when I go in game, Extra 7 (the left light) flashes correctly, but Extra 9 (the right light) doesn't. Extra 9 looks like it's really dim, or tinted. I've included a video below to help explain what I'm seeing, as well as a picture of my hierarchy.

At first I thought it was just that I had the extra positioned incorrectly and it was actually inside the Avenger itself, which is why I couldn't see it flashing, but after playing with it for a few hours and trying everything that I can think of, it appears to be in the right place, UV mapped correctly, with the correct material applied.

Here's the really confusing part for me. If I go into the hierarchy and simply rename Extra 9 to Extra 8, the light flashes correctly. If I rename it back to Extra 9, it flashes dim again like in the video. The fact that simply renaming it to Extra 8 fixes the problem tells me that the problem lies with it being named Extra 9, I just don't understand why or what to do about it.

Seems to me that maybe the glass is attached to the Extra_9_L0. Maybe im wrong but if it was me i would check that. As far as your hierarchy you have way to many Misc's. Your laptop, radar, rambar, ect. I attach all of that stuff to the chassis directly on my own models.

Edited by NoBueno007

Seems to me that maybe the glass is attached to the Extra_9_L0. Maybe im wrong but if it was me i would check that. As far as your hierarchy you have way to many Misc's. Your laptop, radar, rambar, ect. I attach all of that stuff to the chassis directly on my own models.

I'll look into the glass situation.

And thanks for the advice about the miscs. I had considered attaching those things to the chassis for a final release, glad to know that's something that others do. For the time being I've left them separated so I can pull them out to fix any mistakes I find along the way. I had to start over a few times in the beginning because I'm a noob and messed up some stuff so, until I'm certain that everything is correct I decided to leave the pieces separate like that so it's easier for me to fix my mistakes as I learn new things.

Your extra 9 needs to look like this

extra_9

+ extra9

+ extra9_L0

+ extra9_L1

Also, what ENB are you using?

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I guess I need to redo my Extra 7 also to match that?

I'm using the CryENB Version 1 that can be found here on LCPDFR. I'm using the preset for an "Ultra End" PC that comes with the download.

Your extra 9 needs to look like this

extra_9

+ extra9

+ extra9_L0

+ extra9_L1

And thanks for the advice about the miscs. I had considered attaching those things to the chassis for a final release, glad to know that's something that others do. For the time being I've left them separated so I can pull them out to fix any mistakes I find along the way. I had to start over a few times in the beginning because I'm a noob and messed up some stuff so, until I'm certain that everything is correct I decided to leave the pieces separate like that so it's easier for me to fix my mistakes as I learn new things.

Yes as i forgot tp mention. Kevin499 is correct. Take a look and make sure your Extra 9 is setup like that. 

As for the Misc's. Thats a good choice, i tend to attach things to early and have to go back in and detach to fix my errors.  :pirate:

Edited by NoBueno007

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try. I guess I need to redo my Extra 7 also to match that?

I'm using the CryENB Version 1 that can be found here on LCPDFR. I'm using the preset for an "Ultra End" PC that comes with the download.

NO, only 5, 6, and 9 needs to look like that.

NO, only 5, 6, and 9 needs to look like that.

Interesting.

Do you know of a good tutorial or resource that explains why those extras are special? I don't think I've seen that pointed out or explained in the stuff I've been looking at yet.

At this point, I'm guessing the best way to fix my extra 9 is to just create another dummy and add it to the hierarchy? Or is there a better way?

Thanks so much for the help!

Edited by johnclark1102

Interesting.

Do you know of a good tutorial or resource that explains why those extras are special? I don't think I've seen that pointed out or explained in the stuff I've been looking at yet.

At this point, I'm guessing the best way to fix my extra 9 is to just create another dummy and add it to the hierarchy? Or is there a better way?

Thanks so much for the help!

+extra_1 > extra_1_L0, extra_1_L1

+extra_2 > extra_2_L0, extra_2_L1

+extra_3 > extra_3_L0, extra_3_L1

+extra_4 > extra_4_L0, extra_4_L1

+extra_5 > extra5 > extra5_L0, extra5_L1

+extra_6 > extra6 > extra6_L0, extra5_L1

+extra_7 > extra_7_L0, extra_7_L1

+extra_8 > extra_8_L0, extra_8_L1

+extra_9 > extra9 > extra9_L0, extra9_L1

Yeah, I just create a dummy and rename it.

+extra_1 > extra_1_L0, extra_1_L1

+extra_2 > extra_2_L0, extra_2_L1

+extra_3 > extra_3_L0, extra_3_L1

+extra_4 > extra_4_L0, extra_4_L1

+extra_5 > extra5 > extra5_L0, extra5_L1

+extra_6 > extra6 > extra6_L0, extra5_L1

+extra_7 > extra_7_L0, extra_7_L1

+extra_8 > extra_8_L0, extra_8_L1

+extra_9 > extra9 > extra9_L0, extra9_L1

Yeah, I just create a dummy and rename it.

Very interesting indeed.

My goal as I'm learning this whole zModeler thing is to actually understand WHY I'm doing what I'm doing, rather than just memorizing the order in which to hit certain buttons.

I'm definitely going to have to do some more research on this to figure out what makes 5, 6, and 9 different.

In the meantime, that fixed my problem, so thanks again for the help guys!

I have the same problem but how i can create the categorie "extra_9" ? 

By creating a dummy and renaming it.

Edited by NoBueno007

hey guys, I hope this isn't seen as an unwanted bump, but i'm kind of a noob.

I'm using a tomar bar that is unlocked (can be found here: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>)

I am unable to figure out how to get extra_9 to function, I understand that I need to attach the extra_9_L0 and L1, i'm just not quite sure what they are... :/

here's my hierarchy...

attachicon.giftomar issues.png

You should make a new thread.

Sorry to bump this up but just to make this thing clear, the problem is not in ELS, Extra_9 doesn't work with "lightsemissive" shader. ELS can manipulate with it like a regular extra but it will NOT light up. Here's what you can do tho, use only extra_9 dummy but rename the meshes to something simple like "light9_L0" and that will work.

Edited by Chasez