Sign in to follow this  
CD45 Productions

Good Specs, bad FPS? D:

Hey everyone!

Two weeks ago, I built my first computer! But sadly, I get horrible FPS in GTA IV? Not just GTA IV, but almost every game I play, no matter what graphic settings, I stay at or below 20 FPS. How does this make sense?

Processor: AMD FX 8350 8 Core @ 4.0 GHz

Graphics Card: Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 by Gigabyte

RAM: 8GB DDR3

If you need anything else, let me know.

Anyway, I also did a benchmark test when I first got GTA IV running, just to see if FRAPS was being retarded and giving the wrong FPS or what. So I did a benchmark test, and here's the results:

Statistics

Average FPS: 22.45
Duration: 37.33 sec
CPU Usage: 25%
System memory usage: 43%
Video memory usage: 51%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: Very High
Reflection Resolution: Very High
Water Quality: Low
Texture Filter Quality: Anisotropic x16
Night Shadows: Very High
View Distance: 20
Detail Distance: 20

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Video Driver version: 6.14.11.8084
Audio Adapter: Headphones (High Definition Audio Device)
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor           

File ID: Benchmark.cli

Now for my Video Adapter, it's not my graphics card? Which now leads me to think my games aren't recognizing my graphics card or something. Yet I didn't buy what's listed up there.

Anyway, any help will be great! :D I couldn't find my problem anywhere, so please help!

-Clubdude45

Have you tried reinstalling/updating your drivers? A CD should have came with your graphics card (if you didn't install the drivers already for whatever reason - in which case, you should). If a CD didn't come with your graphics card, you can get the display drivers + Catalyst Software Suite here: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-64.aspx

Edited by PieRGud

Its a known fact that GTA IV is TERRIBLY optimized. The most beast computers can sometimes have a lot of trouble running it. As well, the benchmarking tool is rubbish, as many people have pointed out in the past. I would suggest turning down shadows as they have a large influence on performance. 

As well, it is reporting the incorrect gfx card, so I would take a look at the installed drivers and make sure that it's all working well and fine.

I've heard of several people running a benchmark and having it report them as having a 9600 GT when the in fact did not, so it isn't just you that has the problem.  As Bojan said, try turning shadows completely off and see how well the game runs.  If the FPS picks up a lot, then the game is probably running correctly.  Shadows in GTA IV are a complete FPS killer on most machines for some reason.

u dont need to run all the settings at max....... try reducing the shadows settings to low i bet u pick up 10 fps

@Icon,

Does this have to do with the game not reading my card, therefore bad FPS?

@Shome,

Graphics shouldn't be a problem...If I payed a lot of money for my cpu and gpu, I wanna play at max. Also, it still doesn't help when settings are at low, with no ENB or anything. The same old 20 or under FPS.

Is your game updated with the latest patch (1.0.7.0)?

Are you using steam/digital or disc version of the game?

Edited by Matosh