Sign in to follow this  
Venixlux

dsound.dll is preventing game launch

Alright, I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm at my wits end with this and after hours of searching, reinstalling, and trying each mod I'm installing one by one I've finally found the cause but can't find a solution.

Long story short, my game worked great until yesterday. I was playing fine, mods and all, and then yesterday something went wrong. I go to launch my game and get the standard RGSC window asking me to log in. I click play, and it closes. I can see the loading icons coming up on my cursor and my disks spinning up, but then nothing. No game, no sounds, no windows, not even an error message. Looking at Task Manager shows that GTAIV.exe is running, but it's not doing anything on my PC.

I reinstalled. Tried again. Same issue. Repeated this about 4 times. Now I'm on my fifth clean install and everything works fine- until I put dsound.dll in my directory. As soon as this file is there I get the above issue. I've tried YAASIL and the other one, I've tried the one that comes with a bunch of my mods, I've even tried the one that comes with LCPDFR. Everything runs great when my mods are installed except with dsound.

ASILog doesnt give me any errors, it just says 

"Hooking dsound proc named "DirectSoundCaptureCreate8"
"DirectSoundCaptureCreate8" hooked, address 0x6CCCD371

I'm seriously running out of ideas and it's driving me insane. I'm trying to install LCPDFR, DAS, ELS, VDHPolice Helper, and the SNT. (trying to play multiplayer so xliveless isn't an option.)

Like I said, everything worked fine until yesterday and ever since I haven't been able to launch my game as long as dsound.dll is present.

Anyone have any ideas?

(Yes, I'm running as admin and yes I'm running 1.0.7.0)

I'm running:

Windows 7 64-bit,
Intel i7 Processor
GTX 560Ti
16gb of ram

I highly doubt it's my system specs causing an issue so if anyone knows.. I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

dsound is garbage, at least in my experience with it.

xliveless should fix your stuff. at least for single player

DirectSoundCaptureCreate8 is a sound driver function call within windows. the gta dsound has no reason to call for that... check your drivers. could be some auto update that slipped through and messed it up

dsound is garbage, at least in my experience with it.

xliveless should fix your stuff. at least for single player

DirectSoundCaptureCreate8 is a sound driver function call within windows. the gta dsound has no reason to call for that... check your drivers. could be some auto update that slipped through and messed it up

It seems to be, however I need it so I can run multiplayer. How would I check to see if my drivers changed? Nothing looks out of the ordinary as far as I can tell

No one has an answer? I just tried a clean install of windows and still the same issue. Everything will launch fine but the second I put dsound.dll in my directory the game refuses to launch. I've tried everything- updating GFWL, running as administrator, reinstalling gtaiv, reinstalling windows, the only thing i haven't tried is xliveless but again I need multiplayer so that doesn't help me.

I'm using both scripthook and dsound from xhazard(yaasil)s website so they should both bethe latest versions but even with a different dsound it doesn't work.

When you uninstall, you have to also delete program files of gta iv for a full uninstall. After that, install gta iv, start the game, update windows fully, quit the game, then install lcpdfr, run as administrator and see if it works then. It should. If it does then install the mods you want.

Edited by J.Mo29

Just finished trying your suggestion J.Mo, but it appears there's it didn't work either.

Starting to get irritated now.. There have been others online with this same issue but no one seems to have documented a fix :s

Fixed it.. went and bought the game on Steam and I guess that works.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Now it's giving me the same stupid issue. :@

Edited by Vocosol