startTerminal

Petition to start using Invisible reCAPTCHA instead of traditional captcha

Should we use Invisible reCAPTCHA?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should we?

• Yes
    • No

If you don't log in, every time you want to download a file you are forced to fill out a captcha. If you are logged in, you still have to fill in a captcha, however not as often. My petition is to instead use Google's invisible reCAPTCHA, which can be programmed to automatically check using Google's system by simply clicking on any button. This will reduce the annoyances of a traditional captcha, and make it better for users.

3 hours ago, startTerminal said:

If you don't log in, every time you want to download a file you are forced to fill out a captcha. If you are logged in, you still have to fill in a captcha, however not as often. My petition is to instead use Google's invisible reCAPTCHA, which can be programmed to automatically check using Google's system by simply clicking on any button. This will reduce the annoyances of a traditional captcha, and make it better for users.

Unless something has changed since last month, there will not be any CAPTCHA changes.  However, in the event there's been a new development I'm unaware of, please wait for Cyan to post.

Yup, sorry about that. Some of the CAPTCHAs can be a bit unreadable. If this happens to you, just refresh the page, and you will be presented with another one.

At the moment, we aren't making any changes to our CAPTCHA system.

I'd love to, however, it doesn't provide any decent protection against targeted attacks, when the system can be solved for pennies on the dollar. Attacks we have received here have shown that Google's CAPTCHA solution is not a feasible fix for a well-funded adversary.

Our own solution on the other hand, takes some custom code for a would-be attacker or spammer to abuse, and they are generally intelligent enough to use tools, but not intelligent enough to employ a bespoke solution.

We might try making our own solution to the issue, that would be completely transparent to most users, but this is something that would come in the distant rather than near future.