So here it is, Jeff. You can start using the backup units again.

Safer Chases

Ver1.5

Download

• Ability to be Primary Unit on any pursuit
  • Cops perform more careful overtakings, no more cop-to-cop PIT maneuvers
  • Suspects safe from savage cop ramming their backs

Description

So, this script tries to stop the backup units from being a danger to everyone.

It achieves so by forcing them to slow down their vehicle when the situation requires it.

When do the cop vehicles slow down? How much they slow down?

1. When approaching the player. They slow down to roughly your current speed, plus  20kmh/12mph, configurable. They keep that speed until they pass you, at which point they take off again.
  2. When approaching the suspect. This time, the cops don't really slow down. The script only prevents them from going faster than the suspect, thus preventing any rammings.
  3. When the player is near the suspect, and they are behind the player. The cops try to maintain a lower speed than yours, to leave an empty space between them and the suspect. That space is for you.

As the script literally pulls the vehicles back via magic force, the vehicle behavior can be wacky at times. I've noticed this while being the Primary Unit, as the other cop vehicles don't quite know what the hell is happening, and often crash into suff on the side of the road.

I hope to find a different way to slow down vehicles without touching the NPC AI, so LSPDFR can still manage them without issues. Meanwhile...

Ideas for the future

• Improve "Anti Cop-to-Player PIT maneuvers & rammings" system, they still occur too often for my taste. Done.
  • Help cop vehicles manage traffic by slowing them down when passing civilian vehicles. Done.
  • Allow the player to toggle the "Prevent Rammings" feature, so you can decide to employ full force on the suspects if you consider that the situation requires it. Done.
  • Allow the player to yield to other police vehicles, o force them to yield to the player. This is useful if you don't want to race them to the suspect (keep them behind you) or you want to be close to the suspect but dont want to be the Primary Unit. Done.
  • Try to allow cops to perform PIT maneuvers, while still preventing back rammings.

I've tried to disable the cops HOT INTENSE ACTION behind the suspects by changing their AI, without sucess yet. I'll still experiment on different ways to achieve it, as the current way of doing it is somewhat wacky and doesn't allow for options like the PIT maneuvers.

Any ideas, suggestions, or simple opinions about the subject are welcome.

Edited by Eddlm

After installing this mod I got in a car chase and requested backup, backup would spawn, however they would not engage in the pursuit.  The units spawn frozen in the middle of the road without any lights or sirens on.  I was using the ragehook version 1.2.  When I removed this mod it fixed the frozen backup issue.  This mod is a great idea but unfortunately doesnt work for me yet.

6 hours ago, snickyB said:

After installing this mod I got in a car chase and requested backup, backup would spawn, however they would not engage in the pursuit.  The units spawn frozen in the middle of the road without any lights or sirens on.  I was using the ragehook version 1.2.  When I removed this mod it fixed the frozen backup issue.  This mod is a great idea but unfortunately doesnt work for me yet.

This is not the fault of this mod, I had the same issue without it. This seems to be some bug in 0.3 or a plugin I use.

This script is resource heavy, so it could contribute to the ghost vehicle problem. Its not really the script's fault, though. I can't do it any other way that checking stuff every tick.

You can try and disable features from the ini, every feature disabled stops being run every game tick, and should help with performance.

On 28 January 2016 at 6:42 AM, snickyB said:

Indeed , I encountered the same issue ; albeit , I restarted the game... Nothing to do with this script ^^

RJ    10

During chases it randomly decides to remove me from primary position and then the cops behind me ram me out of the way.

If you takedown a suspect while other units are allowed to pit the suspect, it shows the units are prohibited notification as if I was honking at the suspect. Maybe you're just detecting if the E key is being held down?

We need an update for Ragehook +40 please. An optimization is necessary, with 0.39 it works like a charm but with 0.40 it lowers the fps drastically.