Sign in to follow this  
bucky16

SecuRom has stopped working

Ok, here's the thing,

Last night, i guess GTA was mad at me for not playing it for months, but when I went to play the game, i put the disc in, clicked to launch it, and one of two things would happen, either the window to click play offline or online would either never come up (i checked the process in task manager and after awhile the process would disappear) or i would get a message saying "SecuRom has stopped working". I can't figure out what is going on.  :unsure:  It has never done this to me ever. I have tried lots of things and I was able to a few times actually able to get the screen to login and play offline or online up and was able to get the game to start once. But I haven't been able to do it again. I have already contacted Rockstar about my issue and am waiting for a reply. There is a fix i read somewhere that might fix the problem, but I'm not at home now and I will attempt to try it when I do get home, but I'm 90% sure it won't work, but I will try it anyway. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. I am running the launcher as administrator and in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3. Yes, I have a legit copy of the game with the disc and activation code. One thing I suspected might be the cause was that I use Razer GameBooster to speed my computer up so I can play it. I thought that it was possibly ending a system process that securom uses, but when I checked, that didnt seem to be the case. But the times I got it to work, gamebooster wasn't running and after the launcher screen came up, I would start gamebooster and then I would get the securom has stopped working message. I probably spent a full 2 hours last night trying to get it to work.  :verymad: This is really annoying me. Please don't tell me that I have to uninstall then reinstall the game to fix it. I have had to do that twice the whole time i've owned the game, and I ain't doin it again. Its a real pain in the a**!  :wallbash: Whats worse was I didn't keep the GFWL update files and the original 1.0.7.0 patch files and I would have to hunt them down again, which would be even more of a pain!  :wallbash: It took forever to find those files in the first place. And don't also tell me to just stop using gamebooster because I have to use it or else I can't run the game at all!  :wallbash: Please someone help me. And sorry if this post was so long.

Update: I just got a reply from R*, they need me to send them some diagnostic files to analyse the problem. I'll need to that when I get home as well. 

Edited by bucky16

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Patch.shtml 1070 patch.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient GFWL client

There's the links if you need them :).

The process of turning things off within gamebooster may include turning off securom. Check the list of things it turns off.

Edited by TeddyBearViking77

http://games.softpedia.com/get/Patch/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Patch.shtml 1070 patch.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient GFWL client

There's the links if you need them :).

The process of turning things off within gamebooster may include turning off securom. Check the list of things it turns off.

I think those are it. Well I'll have them if i need them, which I hope I won't. And I have tried that, but nothing in the list has anything to do with securom whatsoever. And it still doesn't work, even without gamebooster, sometimes.

Edited by bucky16

I have tried that, but nothing in the list has anything to do with securom whatsoever. And it still doesn't work, even without gamebooster, sometimes.

That's funny, I run the steam version so I don't have the disc issues. 

A few things:

1. Update drivers.

2. Check the discs and make sure there are no scratches.

3. Run the updates from the links I provided.

Failing that, a re-install may be needed.

All my drivers are up to date, my disc is in good condition, and i don't think I'll need those updates. And please don't mention reinstall. I dont want to hear that word unless if it's a last resort.

All my drivers are up to date, my disc is in good condition, and i don't think I'll need those updates. And please don't mention reinstall. I dont want to hear that word unless if it's a last resort.

Check where the file is installed. If you have the RGSC folder and Paul.dll in the MAIN folder ie C:/ProgramFiles(x86)/RockstarGames then you don;t need the update. If not then check the gxt files (Common/text) they should read something 2010.

I'll check that when I get home. Is there anyone else who can help me? Can someone give me a link to a No-DVD crack for the game? I want to see if that will help. And yes, it's legal because I already have a legit copy of the game.

Ok,

I found out what the problem was. It turned out to be scripthook was causing the problem. But it doesn't make any sense. It used to work and then it just stops working. Why would that happen?