Sign in to follow this  
Bojan

Basic Modeling Help?

Hey there,

I've been looking for a tutorial that covers the basics of modeling in GTA IV. I am a complete rookie in modeling, I don't even know what software I need! All I'd really want to learn is just very basic editing of pre-existing models, changing lightbars and rambars and all those other simple things.

I have looked for tutorials that cover the basics of importing and changing a few things, but with no avail. If anybody could link me to a tutorial or walk me step by step through this process, I'd be a very happy camper. Heck, if you could tell me what software and version I need that'd be a start!

Thanks in advance!

zModeler 2.2.4 or 2.2.6

There's tutorials everywhere for beginners.

Thanks, but a link to a tutorial would be awesome!

No full tutorial exists that explains everything from beginning to end. You'll have to look in the tutorial section on here and just search the web and take information from here and there. As for software you need zmodeler like he said. This is the basic tutorial I made, http://www.lcpdfr.com/page/tutorials/index.action/_/vehicle-modification-tutorial/basics-of-adding-materials-importing-models-correct-hierarchy-and-exporting-in-zmodeler-r25 It just covers the basic steps to import textures and parts and then export but it should give you an idea of what to do. There is a lot more to modeling than whats explained in any tutorial though. Be ready to spend hours and hours just trying to figure out the basics of zmodeler and how everything works. Then a lot of trial and error working with models. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying but I just want you to know what to expect. 

Edited by NickieB

No full tutorial exists that explains everything from beginning to end. You'll have to look in the tutorial section on here and just search the web and take information from here and there. As for software you need zmodeler like he said. This is the basic tutorial I made, http://www.lcpdfr.com/page/tutorials/index.action/_/vehicle-modification-tutorial/basics-of-adding-materials-importing-models-correct-hierarchy-and-exporting-in-zmodeler-r25 It just covers the basic steps to import textures and parts and then export but it should give you an idea of what to do. There is a lot more to modeling than whats explained in any tutorial though. Be ready to spend hours and hours just trying to figure out the basics of zmodeler and how everything works. Then a lot of trial and error working with models. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying but I just want you to know what to expect. 

Thanks, I stumbled upon your tutorial just before you posted this. I've done some experimenting with cars but there are somethings I can't figure out. For example, while some unlocked car models come with the textures in the download, others come with just a wtd and wft. Now, where do the car textures come from? Do I unpack the wtd and export those textures? When I do (I did this for a CVPI I downloaded) half the car looked like it was missing including the doors and a few other things.

Any tips?

Oh, and also: if I wanted to add an ELS lightbar can I just download one that is like, premapped or something, or do I need to map it myself? I saw a tutorial for that and it looked very difficult :(

Yes you would unpack the files from the WTD and you need the vehshare textures. I think GPM still has them on there site but you'll have to look around. They are necessary for anything you import. Some lightbars come mapped for ELS but some don't. There are two ways to map ELS, one way is the way you saw in that tutorial which is hard and even myself I never figured it out. I do it a different way by taking the mapping from other bars and tweaking it as I need. 

You can get the VehShare textures from the zModeler site and to unpack the WTD just open it up in OpenIV, then export the files and open them up with Materials Editor BEFORE importing the model.