Aaron W. Mods

How do I decrease the polys on a model

On 9/2/2018 at 9:17 AM, GTA V Modifications said:

I don't know how people do it but how do people have a bunch of lights and parts added on to the car but is still a small file

When you export the car you can choose to different amounts. I believe all is the highest amount.

1867388798_Screenshot(709).thumb.png.46f7f7b095c6e16ed26da18e37573a73.png

most use part that are already small poly or you can use the optimize tool in zmodeler, warning, this doesnt always work the best and takes practice, id suggest using a separate copy

heres an exert from an  forum on line 

Using ZModeler's Optimize Mesh tool

You select a group of polygons (or even the whole model) and use the Modify > Submesh > Optimize polygonal mesh tool. You can experiment with the settings to see which result is the best.

?thumbnail=small ?thumbnail=small

This option is a lot faster than welding, however depending on the geometry, the result might not look the way you expected it. It's possible that the normals are wrong afterwards. In that case, it is recommend to lower the polygon count manually.

Edited by Candice

On 9/2/2018 at 10:17 AM, GTA V Modifications said:

I don't know how people do it but how do people have a bunch of lights and parts added on to the car but is still a small file

Simply put, they use parts and lights that aren't really high poly and well optimized. 

On 9/8/2018 at 4:21 PM, Myer Flyer said:

When you export the car you can choose to different amounts. I believe all is the highest amount.

Nope, that is totally wrong. That is just exporting all the lods except the highest (L0). Op's question is how people make models with lots of lights and equipment and at the same time, the models aren't really high poly.

And, so you know, the proper way to export a model is:

Spoiler
  1. Have the model named model_hi (model to be replaced with whatever the model is, police,sheriff etc)
  2. Export as model_hi
  3. Export as model

That was, the first time you export, it will only export the L0, the second export will export everything but the L0.

1 hour ago, Candice said:

most use part that are already small poly or you can use the optimize tool in zmodeler, warning, this doesnt always work the best and takes practice, id suggest using a separate copy

heres an exert from an  forum on line 

Using ZModeler's Optimize Mesh tool

You select a group of polygons (or even the whole model) and use the Modify > Submesh > Optimize polygonal mesh tool. You can experiment with the settings to see which result is the best.

?thumbnail=small ?thumbnail=small

This option is a lot faster than welding, however depending on the geometry, the result might not look the way you expected it. It's possible that the normals are wrong afterwards. In that case, it is recommend to lower the polygon count manually.

Well, I'll link to the actual topic, since there is important information you didnt include, besides the fact you didnt credit or link to the forum topic.

https://www.modding-forum.com/guide/1-lod-models/