CanadianLaw

How to Read Crash Reports

Hello, I hope this is the right forum for this

I will just get straight to the point, I love adding new stuff to my game, and often have issues with crashes. My usual first response is to delete the new thing I added, or ask somebody to read my crash report. I was wondering how to read these on my own, for my sake and for the poor guys who have to read them and end up finding obvious stuff. If anybody want to take the time to teach me how to read Rage Hook crash reports and recognize errors. I am a fast learner and I'm sure it won't take way too long.

Thank you to anybody who will take the time to teach me.

1 hour ago, CanadianLaw said:

Hello, I hope this is the right forum for this

I will just get straight to the point, I love adding new stuff to my game, and often have issues with crashes. My usual first response is to delete the new thing I added, or ask somebody to read my crash report. I was wondering how to read these on my own, for my sake and for the poor guys who have to read them and end up finding obvious stuff. If anybody want to take the time to teach me how to read Rage Hook crash reports and recognize errors. I am a fast learner and I'm sure it won't take way too long.

Thank you to anybody who will take the time to teach me.

I've been doing this for almost a year and I still can't read half the shit in the log.  Most of the time, it helps to just scroll down to the error and read it.  It'll usually say what caused the crash, but a lot of the times it may not, especially if it's a CTD.  It really comes down to knowing what to look for, here's an example from my log:

[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Unhandled exception occurred in console command "ForceDuty"
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Exception type: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Exception message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Stack trace: at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at CalloutManager.Main.?????????????????????????????????????????(Boolean )
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.API.Functions.OnDutyStateChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Boolean onDuty)
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.API.Functions.InvokeOnOnDutyStateChanged(Boolean onduty) in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\API\Functions.cs:line 488
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.LSPDFR.Command_ForceDuty() in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\LSPDFR.cs:line 2153

"Exception message: Unable to load blah blah"

This could mean anything, but a clue is at CalloutManager.main

This means there is an issue either with my callout manager mod, or one of the callouts.

and here was the crash before that one:

[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.167] LSPD First Response: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] at ?????????????????????????????????????????.?????????????????????????????????????????() in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\Callouts\CalloutManager.cs:line 528
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] LSPD First Response: Could not load file or assembly 'ParksTools, Version=3.0.6298.2824, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Notice that it says it can't load ParkTools?  That means that either the ParkTools.dll is not in your directory, or you're on an outdated version.  It takes some getting used to, I'm far from an expert with it, but you'll eventually learn how to look deep into the error message to try and find the problem.

14 minutes ago, Giordano said:

I've been doing this for almost a year and I still can't read half the shit in the log.  Most of the time, it helps to just scroll down to the error and read it.  It'll usually say what caused the crash, but a lot of the times it may not, especially if it's a CTD.  It really comes down to knowing what to look for, here's an example from my log:

[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Unhandled exception occurred in console command "ForceDuty"
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Exception type: System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Exception message: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593] Stack trace: at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at CalloutManager.Main.?????????????????????????????????????????(Boolean )
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.API.Functions.OnDutyStateChangedEventHandler.Invoke(Boolean onDuty)
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.API.Functions.InvokeOnOnDutyStateChanged(Boolean onduty) in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\API\Functions.cs:line 488
[4/6/2018 9:35:10 PM.593]    at LSPD_First_Response.Mod.LSPDFR.Command_ForceDuty() in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\LSPDFR.cs:line 2153

"Exception message: Unable to load blah blah"

This could mean anything, but a clue is at CalloutManager.main

This means there is an issue either with my callout manager mod, or one of the callouts.

and here was the crash before that one:

[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.167] LSPD First Response: Unable to load one or more of the requested types. Retrieve the LoaderExceptions property for more information.   at System.Reflection.RuntimeModule.GetTypes(RuntimeModule module)
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] at System.Reflection.Assembly.GetTypes()
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] at ?????????????????????????????????????????.?????????????????????????????????????????() in E:\GTA V\LSPD First Response\LSPD First Response\Mod\Callouts\CalloutManager.cs:line 528
[4/6/2018 9:35:05 PM.170] LSPD First Response: Could not load file or assembly 'ParksTools, Version=3.0.6298.2824, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest.

Notice that it says it can't load ParkTools?  That means that either the ParkTools.dll is not in your directory, or you're on an outdated version.  It takes some getting used to, I'm far from an expert with it, but you'll eventually learn how to look deep into the error message to try and find the problem.

Wow, that is so awesome. Thank you so much bud!

I really appreciate you helping me out.

4 minutes ago, CanadianLaw said:

Wow, that is so awesome. Thank you so much bud!

I really appreciate you helping me out.

You're most welcome!  Don't feel bad if you can't understand your log, it's really not an easy thing to decipher.  If you ever need help, just post a thread. :)