Murphy

Unbreakable Windows [Model Development]

Hello everyone,

I have recently been working on another scratch made car model; however, I've come across a problem that is refusing to go away.

When I go into IV and spawn the car, the windows on my model refuse to break. I have completed all of the collisions, and I've looked over the hierarchy several times. The materials mapped to the windows are also of the type "vehglass", which is proper.

Has anyone else had these issues? I would really like to solve this problem, as it would essentially complete my car.

Thank you,

- Murphy

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t6Mm-ia_0Y

EDIT:

I figured out the problem. The reason why some windows won't break is because they're too high poly. I remade them with fewer polygons, and they now break!  :woot:

Note that this should work even if the L0 window models are high poly. The most important parts that must be low poly are the L1 window models!

Edited by Murphy

Thanks for the quick response.

My model is actually a civilian vehicle, and it's intended to replace the Lokus.

As you can see in the hierarchy image, everything is set up properly.

Thanks for the quick response.

My model is actually a civilian vehicle, and it's intended to replace the Lokus.

As you can see in the hierarchy image, everything is set up properly.

Is the window doublesided (materialwise)?

Is the window doublesided (materialwise)?

Yes, the windows are.

I figured out the problem, though. The reason why some windows won't break is because they're too high poly. I remade them with fewer polygons, and they now break! :woot: 

This topic may be closed now; however, this information may be good to mark for other modders who are experiencing the same issue and don't understand why.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but is your door collision covering the full side of the door? If so, scale it down so it covers just below the window, and have a separate collision for the glass.

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but is your door collision covering the full side of the door? If so, scale it down so it covers just below the window, and have a separate collision for the glass.

No worries. :)

As I mentioned in my previous post, it had to do with the polycount of the car's windows. Even if the door collision is covering the window, it still should be breakable when you try to shoot from the car.