festivalmatt

Request (Fulfilled) : Tutorial for Normal and Specular mapping specifically for gta5

I've seen a couple of posts linking people to youtube videos, which is good as it gives an idea of what to do but not specific to settings needed for gta 5 and they dont explain what theyre for or what you need on the map for gta5 either

Edited by festivalmatt
Request Fulfilled

Create a bump texture for GTA 5

Normal Map (bump) - a texture, in which color channels the vector is stored information about the bias point high-poly model is relatively low-poly model. normal map is computed for each pixel of the texture. RGB values of each of the channels - it is a normal pixel XYZ coordinates.
- Red channel determines the horizontal (X-axis coordinates) vector.
- Green channel defines the vertical (Y-axis coordinate) vector.
- Blue channel determines the height (Z-coordinate axis) vector

Spoiler

237436d440fccb9e88bcd657d629014e.png

wrong texture which was created with Nvidia Normal Plughin for Photoshop without edited setting

Spoiler

a6047058fb59f027db8b2166ee971554.pngda32b15b557d9c300eff35a61984a3b4.png

wrong texture in the game

Spoiler

5e89d3086d54588363eeeedcc347bf2c.jpg

And it's not just that there is a relief to us unnecessary areas. They can always cover up before applying the filter. But note that at least at the very inscription «EXL 6239". She is depressed, it should be convex. The reason for the failure is simple and lies in the fact that the filter operates on the difference in brightness. And a dark inscription was pushed relatively light background.

Thus, most of the texture you want to edit need to be edited before use a filter. In fact, you must first create a black and white map of heights. The meaning is simple - the whiter the area, the higher it is on the surface.

Spoiler

962287a274af88f02f2afc6b10bcdff8.png

Flatten all the layers into a common background and now applies the filter:

Spoiler

9f7ddd7628433a7341de7ab12b760f2e.jpg

Scale (1) - height scale for normal maps. Over this parameter has a number of switches of detail (2). By selecting these two parameters can either be more detailed, map or deeper. Reverse channels (3) is not necessary.

Spoiler

f232c2d54bfc10bd6f6413cb55d0b155.png

Save the bump texture in dds (DXT1 without alpha channel) format.
The result in the game:

Spoiler

3038860d7b69097026fd4c4db4bbdb87.jpg

This is was a article for gta 4, but in the gta 5 bump techinuqie not changed
Copyright Am-team, translated and edited by me.

Just now, festivalmatt said:

Thats great, thank you very much @Desmond98 , very much appreciated!:thumbsup:

btw, i forgot about speculars, black color- full matte ingame, no any reflection, white- the maximum reflection, so then lighter specular then more reflections, and if texture darkers then less reflection

Just now, Desmond98 said:

btw, i forgot about speculars, black color- full matte ingame, no any reflection, white- the maximum reflection, so then lighter specular then more reflections, and if texture darkers then less reflection

I think i get that. Definately explains some of the results from stuff that i tried.