Sign in to follow this  
Westcoaster

Police Use Taser on Woman, 87, Who Family Says Was Cutting Dandelions

On August 10, in the town of Chatsworth, Murray County, Georgia, an employee of the local Boys and Girls club called 911 on 87-year old Martha Al-Bishara after observing her walking outside of the building with a knife and bag. She would not leave the property and three officers (one of whom was the chief) showed up. She did not obey commands to drop the knife due to her lack of English, and the chief even demonstrated the command by taking out his own pocket knife and dropping it. Bishara was then tased and arrested; she was released from jail two hours later. Her family claims that she was just going out to cut dandelions near her home.

Story: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Taser-Woman-87-Cutting-Dandelions-491012761.html

Thoughts?

Edited by Westcoaster
Name correction

Playing google translate through a car speaker? Bringing a family member out to translate? She was probably so terrified to suddenly have a dozen cops pointing their guns at her and shouting in a language she doesn’t understand. It’s not as easy to ‘just follow orders’ when you don’t speak English.

there was no threat. She didn’t lunge or jump at anyone. She was just standing there. And they got frustrated, so they stun gunned an 87 year old.  Shame on them. Maybe losing their jobs every now and then would make them more patient. They could have killed her.

And shame on the person who called 911.

5 hours ago, Riley24 said:

Playing google translate through a car speaker? Bringing a family member out to translate? She was probably so terrified to suddenly have a dozen cops pointing their guns at her and shouting in a language she doesn’t understand. It’s not as easy to ‘just follow orders’ when you don’t speak English.

there was no threat. She didn’t lunge or jump at anyone. She was just standing there. And they got frustrated, so they stun gunned an 87 year old.  Shame on them. Maybe losing their jobs every now and then would make them more patient. They could have killed her.

Google Translate is improving, but it's still wonky. I don't know how far the club was from the home since I don't live in Chatsworth, so maybe the family couldn't hear the commotion. Sorry for being a Monday morning quarterback, but pepper spray could've been used in this situation. It's far less deadly than a taser.

A Georgia police chief said an officer was justified in using a Taser to stun an 87-year-old woman after she didn't obey commands to drop a knife in her hand.

Cops defending one another despite being obviously wrong? Whod'a thunk.

Martha Al-Bishara was charged with criminal trespass

Relatives said Al-Bishara doesn't speak English and was merely out cutting dandelions with a kitchen knife

near her home in Chatsworth

Etheridge responded along with two other officers Friday after an employee of a local Boys and Girls Club called 911 to report a woman with a knife was walking outside and would not leave.

"Near her home" is not at her home, so it sounds like she was on private property - where she shouldn't of been at that given time - and was walking around with a knife.  I don't blame the person who called.  If in fact the woman had walked off her property and was cutting dandelions on other properties, that is partially her fault.  She was near a boys and girls club, and in this day and age, you never know what someone will do.  It's so easy to say "BUT SHE'S 87!"  Being elderly does not mean you're harmless.

When Al-Bishara didn't follow commands to drop her knife, Etheridge said, he tried to communicate with her by taking his own pocket knife and throwing it on the ground.

So...you clearly recognized the woman did not understand, yet you still taze her? What the fuck? How stupid do you have to be. Call a translator, or see if someone nearby can translate.  It baffles my mind. I do agree, they needed more patience.

"If three police officers couldn't handle an 87-year-old woman, you might want to reconsider hanging up your badge," said Solomon Douhne, the woman's great-nephew.

Exactly.  It's not like she was holding up the knife and swinging it at the officers.

Etheridge said the police department is conducting an internal use-of-force review.

What's the point?  Given the MO in the last year or two, officers can do whatever they want and not have any real reprimand.

To clarify any confusion, I'm not on anyone's side in this.  Both the elderly woman and the police have equal blame.

I'd prefer to see some bodycam, dashcam or security footage before I judge this event. There are always several things that need to be taken into account and the article doesn't mention many of them. Also, most media tries to make the police the bad guy, and I want to make sure they actually are before I say they are.

"There are some good people in it, but the orchestra as a whole is equivalent
to a gang bent on destruction."

-- John Cage, composer

10 hours ago, TheMonotoneScone said:

I'd prefer to see some bodycam, dashcam or security footage before I judge this event. There are always several things that need to be taken into account and the article doesn't mention many of them. Also, most media tries to make the police the bad guy, and I want to make sure they actually are before I say they are.

IF they have bodycams, then the entire department is full of shit, as the Chief even said he backed his officer's decision.  If the woman was being erratic, or threatening officers, they would not hesitate to share the footage.  I'm subscribed to a few Youtube channels which posts bodycam footage of incidents as they are aware of them, and so far nothing.

I'm not saying that this could of not been handled better, but I will say that she had a knife, she was not obeying commands and she had a knife.  How did any of the officers know if she had ill intent or not?  Just saying...

And would any of you go up to anyone and take a knife from someone?  Remember that a knife can kill and cause serious bodily injury.

21 minutes ago, ToeBius said:

And would any of you go up to anyone and take a knife from someone?  Remember that a knife can kill and cause serious bodily injury.

To be fair, you'd have to be one poorly trained officer to let a 87 years old woman have the upper hand on you, with a knife or not. Even more so if there are 3 of them on scene. Not saying old people are harmless, but damn, still. They're old. Especially past 80.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:37 PM, ToeBius said:

I'm not saying that this could of not been handled better, but I will say that she had a knife, she was not obeying commands and she had a knife.  How did any of the officers know if she had ill intent or not?  Just saying...

On 8/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, Hystery said:

To be fair, you'd have to be one poorly trained officer to let a 87 years old woman have the upper hand on you, with a knife or not. Even more so if there are 3 of them on scene. Not saying old people are harmless, but damn, still. They're old. Especially past 80.

Honestly, it's situation based.  On one hand, she's 87, she isn't going to have the swing of a 25 year old.  It's not hard at all to grab her arm or hand and hold it.  On the other hand, I do get it, she is armed with a weapon that could hurt you.

Again, situational and should be looked at as such.

I'd love to follow the thought trail of a police officer who sees a granny with a knife cutting dandelions. Just, you know, to see how do you end up with the decision to taser her.

5 hours ago, Hastings said:

I'd love to follow the thought trail of a police officer who sees a granny with a knife cutting dandelions. Just, you know, to see how do you end up with the decision to taser her.

The Police did not just show up and tase her. A local YMCA Youth Club counselor  called regarding her, as she was cutting flowers in-front of their facility (For her husband, not saying it's wrong.). and that's the only reason the police were there. Remember, one bad apple does not spoil the bunch. US Law Enforcement is usually not this aggressive with the senior community. This is a rare instance of one officer screwing up. It does not mean the US Police are evil murderers, and or paint a picture of US Law Enforcement as a whole. H3H3 a popular youtuber has a lot of similiar opinions to those shared on this thread, and a Police Youtuber went through his anti-police ranting and simply states the facts. If you are actually interested on what led up to and happened after this incident and how it's being viewed and discussed in the US, look no further.

Edited by GTALawEnforcer

derp.png

4-DAVID-20 

Would love to to see the video mate or u just talkin bs...

@GTALawEnforcer glad here is still more sensible people watching donut and people who care abouts facts and not their feelings or beliefs.